Change names for labs, train stops etc - Station names

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Change names for labs, train stops etc.

Post by ssilk »

Drury wrote:Been playing (Open)TT(D)(Patch) for years and never had the urge to rename any of my stations however nonsensical and inaccurate their names might be. And so far I've never had the need to rename any of my train stations in Factorio either.
Well, in OpenTTD also not. But I cannot repeat often enough: We have here train stops, no train stations. To create a train station you need many train stops. I've a map with about 10 station names and cannot remember them, cause some are so very equal, some are just strange, some so long, some too short.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Schmendrick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Schmendrick »

Teurlinx wrote:
BurnHard wrote:When you have a bigger base, you really want to rename the stations, eg. Northwest Iron deposit. Helps with planning and organising.
Aye, maybe just keep the current names (which are nice for flavour anyway). But allow players to add a 2nd line to it with a description.

Marwin - Coal deposit, Izo Elezovic - 3rd Copper mine, etc.
This seems like the best solution to me.
Like my mods? Check out another! Or see older, pre-0.12.0 mods.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I would mean we already have commited to a solution like that: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 103#p11103

But well...

Edit: No, I move it...
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Chthon
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Station names

Post by Chthon »

Dakkanor wrote:agreed with ssilk, good idea that. in general an intelligent way to generate names is easier to use than a manual one. i'd still like the ability to rename stations for things with specific purposes

but what about being able to designate and name areas on the map? right click on a spot and then select the chunks which are part of it, this could possibly be done in several layers each with their own overlay colour, which could be helpful for planning things out ect, my main way to tell things apart on the map is to either memorize my factory layout or to build things in specific patterns that i could recognize easily on the map.

the designation idea could overlap with ssilks idea, mark one area as your primary base, mark an area inside that as your foundry. build a pickup/delivery train system in the foundry and the station would be called something like "Primary Base - Foundry" add a '2' or a 'b' at the end if there's an existing station in that area.
I would prefer it if the "signs" or beacons as I'd think of them have variable ranges. Each unit is 50 tiles in radius, and you can set it to 1 unit, or 10 units, or anywhere in between. This way you can place it in the middle of a production facility, and have it cover the whole facility, and not extra beyond that. On the map you can color it slightly, or have an overlay that can be turned on showing the borders, with a dot where the beacon is stating that it's this place.

It's cool that people who donate enough can get memorialized in the game. However don't force players to adhere to player names. If you must, let us name it, then underneath put "Dedicated to X". E.g. in my iron smelting base, it could read "Iron Smelting Facility -- Dedicated to Ssilk" but when programming trains or stations, it's just Iron Production Facility.

Edit: Better idea, "Ssilk's Iron Smelting Facility" on the visible tab, but just the user specified term for programming.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”