Research choice voting for MP

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Research choice voting for MP

Post by Peter34 »

Right now, in MP, all players can interact with the T Tech screen, so the player who gets there first chooses what tech to research next. I presume it's also possible for a crazy player to cancel on-going research by switching to another tech, potentially detrimentally as that may cause resources to be lost.

Instead, it'd be nice if players could place "votes" on what tech to research, in any MP game, and which ever tech gets the necessary votes is the one chosen next. In this way, you could have a queue system emerge, in that if I vote for tech A and B, and another player votes for tech A and B, and a third player votes for tech A and C, then A gets 3 votes, so it gets researched first, but after that B is automatically chosen since a majority of players voted for it.

During on-going research, players should be able to move un-used votes around, but in MP it should not be possible to cancel on-going research, especially since resource scarcity is acute in MP because when you die, whatever you were carrying is dropped (whereas in SP the game ends and so you load from the most recent savegame state, usually an autosave).

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Research choice voting for MP

Post by Peter34 »

Of course, I'd like to see this added in 12.0 (or eve sooner!), but I've read that there's a Tech Tree imeplementation on the way for alpha 13.0, so it might make sense to postpone MP research choice voting until then.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

I don't think this is really needed - in MP you already need to have good communication with your teammates to coordinate building the factory, and if one of them wants to goof around they have many ways to do so, so blocking just the tech screen makes no sense to me.

On the other hand, having the freedom and simplicity to change the research whenever needed is pretty convenient, and I fear such a mechanism might make this cumbersome.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

The game should remember partial progress on every tech. Losing progress is so '90s.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

My opinion: Yes and no.

No, cause this has been discussed anywhere anytime (could not find it yet) and I mean the conclusion was "no, because it's part of the game to plan the research"

Yes, if you researched it. :)

I make a new suggestion for that: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =6&t=12331
Last edited by ssilk on Thu May 14, 2015 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added link to new suggestion
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”