Fluid overflow valve

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Blue_Lucario
Inserter
Inserter

Fluid overflow valve

Post by Blue_Lucario »

Fluid overflow valve

This would be similar to an electric pump but would only let fluid through when the pipes are almost full.

With this my Petroleum gas would only be turned to the Solid fuel if my tanks were almost full. :)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Fluid overflow valve

Post by bobingabout »

Any sort of flow control would be nice.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

You can control it with pumps.

Code: Select all

IN=>=========================>=OUT (secondary)
                PUMPS
    =========================>=OUT (primary)

Blue_Lucario
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Blue_Lucario »

I'll try that Neotix.
Thanks!

Factoruser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Valves (again, I know)

Post by Factoruser »

Joined, I don't see a difference -- ßilk

Unfortunately "the" thread has been locked...

I think you still could use a valve - the small pump requires an electric engine and is therfore obtainable very late. (and I'm supposing the small pump should once be able to monitor and control the output pressure)

The valve element has following purposes:
  • it allows fluids only to flow in one direction
  • you can reduce the pressure of a fluid e.g. to split it between different important facilities
  • you can stop the flow of fluids manually (what could be done by removing a pipe part of course)
  • another use is to avoid connections to neighboured pipes, the valve element is always only a straight pipe element
If the "pressure" at the input side is higher than at the output side, the fluid flows through, in case reduced by a value, that could reduce the output pressure also to 0.

For example you may build an "oil complex" with this where surplus oil/gas will be turned into solid fuel - but only the surplus ;-)

The crafting might use a pipe, 2 gear wheels and an iron stick... It can be only operated manually by the player of course and has no smart capabilities.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Factoruser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Valves (again, I know)

Post by Factoruser »

ssilk wrote:Joined, I don't see a difference -- ssilk
It fits in, although the headline is misleading. But the initial posting didn't mention a pressure reduction, so there is a difference to the suggestion.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I think this kind of detail developer implementation, not part of a suggestion, if there is no important reason for that.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Isn't the valve talk becoming completely obsolete once 0.12 is out with all the new circuit stuff?

In 0.12 we will have sensors for the tanks as well as small pumps being able to work on signal condition.

That way an overflow valve becomes obsolete, because at the time you start with oil stuff you are probably going to research fluid handling anyways because otherwise you couldn't even store the excess fluids and at the same time get the small pump which is able to do exactly as you please once you hook it up.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Well, I can see the reason for this suggestion, cause the small pump is really not early game. Especially beginners have problems with fluids, and a simple, easy to understand valve might help.

Personally I'm not a big fan of this suggestion, cause the usage case for a valve is really small (untypically small for Factorio) and later, as more advance player, you don't have problems with it. If I have a problem with fluids in the early game, I have several options, like removing a pipe-conncetion and so on. But that assumes, that you are a more advanced player, that keeps enough space between tanks and so on, so yes, it might help and if this valve would be part of the recipe for small pump it makes a bit more sense and maybe the devs find more usage cases for that (electric valves?).

Factoruser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Factoruser »

The point is of course a very low-tech solution that allows for example a very sophisticated fluid storage while you haven't got electric engines yet. And don't forget the additional use: inhibiting connections, forcing to have a straight pipe.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”