Map generation changes

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Map generation changes

Post by ssilk »

cube wrote:yeah, I'd like to do the more structured random parts as well. I have a fairly simple plan of how to do it, let's see in which version there is enough time to fit this feature in :-)
Cube, I think the idea is - as I see it at the moment - somethink like so: Currently we have the map generator, with it's dozens of options.
But in reality we have two map generators: One for the starting-area, and the other for the rest of the map. The both maps are then "blended" together with one method.

So - as far as I understand it - when we look into the details, then we have just one map-rendering method, which can have some parameters and a "blending"-method, which blends both maps together. He can define some more: If the created map so far still doesn't contain coal, then create a map-part with much coal and blend it in at this point. And much more of such "events".

So, what I would suggest is, that a map-designer can make the same: He defines map-fragments, either by the map generator or from existing maps (and/or blueprints) and he can blend them into the resulting map. Either on somehow fixed positions or by random. And he can define the random and probability (only once per map, in a distance to about 100-500 from the center for example).

However: The map-seed is then also dependent on what "mod" is loaded. I mean, that are special mods (map mods?), cause they could be relatively small, if they use only the default game content.
The result is then just, that the player doesn't need to tweak the maps, until he finds something useful, he thinks he wants to play. Instead he loads such a mod, which "guarantees somehow" to behave like in the mod-description.

The player can just choose between simple options ("Low, middle, high or crazy amounts of biters", "No water", "Longer nights"....). The complexity is - if the player chooses this (which in my eyes should be the normal way to play a map, instead of the current complex)- hidden.

I guarantee, that there will hundreds, no, thousands of cool maps (and scenarios), if a modder/map-designer can create a map in that way, because that gives him the feeling, he is creating an endless world of his own. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

katyal
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by katyal »

#2 is something I've been trying to achieve by playing around with RSO mod, but unfortunately there seems to be a limit to the size of resource patches.

Edit: Jan. 16, 2015

I've been looking deeper into this ...The algorithm used in factorio's stock map generator is "perlin noise". One of the defining features of this algoritm is that it produces random but similar-sized elements so I don't think we could get some rare vast patches of ores using only the base game generation.

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

ssilk wrote:
cube wrote:yeah, I'd like to do the more structured random parts as well. I have a fairly simple plan of how to do it, let's see in which version there is enough time to fit this feature in :-)
Cube, I think the idea is - as I see it at the moment - somethink like so: Currently we have the map generator, with it's dozens of options.
But in reality we have two map generators: One for the starting-area, and the other for the rest of the map. The both maps are then "blended" together with one method.

So - as far as I understand it - when we look into the details, then we have just one map-rendering method, which can have some parameters and a "blending"-method, which blends both maps together. He can define some more: If the created map so far still doesn't contain coal, then create a map-part with much coal and blend it in at this point. And much more of such "events".

So, what I would suggest is, that a map-designer can make the same: He defines map-fragments, either by the map generator or from existing maps (and/or blueprints) and he can blend them into the resulting map. Either on somehow fixed positions or by random. And he can define the random and probability (only once per map, in a distance to about 100-500 from the center for example).

However: The map-seed is then also dependent on what "mod" is loaded. I mean, that are special mods (map mods?), cause they could be relatively small, if they use only the default game content.
The result is then just, that the player doesn't need to tweak the maps, until he finds something useful, he thinks he wants to play. Instead he loads such a mod, which "guarantees somehow" to behave like in the mod-description.

The player can just choose between simple options ("Low, middle, high or crazy amounts of biters", "No water", "Longer nights"....). The complexity is - if the player chooses this (which in my eyes should be the normal way to play a map, instead of the current complex)- hidden.

I guarantee, that there will hundreds, no, thousands of cool maps (and scenarios), if a modder/map-designer can create a map in that way, because that gives him the feeling, he is creating an endless world of his own. :)

Nice idea, but it is not that easy. The two map generators are tightly linked to each other.

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

I dream of rich river system, based on Voronoi diagram or something similar, with water flow and all the possibilities, bonuses and impacts, based on this. That would be cool. :)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

@Kovarex: I think a good start would be to enable loading blueprints or parts of other maps in the map editor.

@hitzu: I found that: http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~am ... eneration/
And a cool demo-map generator: http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~am ... /demo.html
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

Yeah, I've seen this some time ago. Really intresting toy.
Also there is somewhere in the internet another wonderful generator, that uses Voronoi diagram for generating right in browser planets with continents, tectonic plates, relief, climate, sea currents, winds etc. Unfortunately I cannot find it anymore. :(

EDIT: I was wrong. I saved it in bookmarks in folder in another folder :D
Here it is http://experilous.com/1/planet-generato ... /version-1

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”