Roboports Placement boxes / Collision box alterations.

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

CentricArts
Inserter
Inserter

Roboports Placement boxes / Collision box alterations.

Post by CentricArts »

The entirety of the roboport requires a 4x4 area, the bottom of the area starts at the bottom of required space, the top ends at the top of the required space. I'm not sure about anyone else but this is off putting for me?. You could say that ''Everything else fills the entire grid required, regardless of how tall it is'', but most of other factories, chests or furnaces look like they actually take up the space due to being sloped around the edges of the factory or furnace, so they actually take up a lot of the space that isn't being shown behind the factory due to the slop. However, the roboport doesn't have this, so it looks like the grid uses up more space than it actually requires.

My suggestion is to change the roboport asset, or change the required placement box. (Either that or move the actual roboport graphic slightly higher to have the base of the roboport in the middle of the 4x4 grid)

On a side note, it would be really cool to be able to walk behind the factories to actually show off the perspective of the game. So either make the factories taller, or the collision box altered slightly vertically to make smaller, therefore being able to walk behind the factories to make it seem like the factories aren't just painted onto the ground.

Apologies for this ramble.
Attachments
Factory perspective
Factory perspective
0.png (832.61 KiB) Viewed 1594 times
Roboport perspective
Roboport perspective
000.png (871.29 KiB) Viewed 1595 times
600 hours in factorio? No problem.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Roboports Placement boxes / Collision box alterations.

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

I often have trouble working out exactly where the boundaries of a Roboport are at a glance, usually have to hover something like an Inserter over it to get the red boundary box.

As for the perspective idea, near everything in Factorio is rendered 2D (I think) so it's not a case of making them taller as it has no concept of verticality. It would be like taking a photo of yourself from a 45 degree angle looking down on you, then stretching it to make it look like it was taken from in front of you.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

That is one of the biggest graphical issues. Tons of threads are going around this subject. But there is currently no way: The game engine is 2D. The graphics is 2D an for each entity it is important to have a height limit, so that you can see, what's behind it.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

CentricArts
Inserter
Inserter

Post by CentricArts »

You can already go behind most items in the game as they're represented on different placement layers, so why can't the collision box just be adjusted to you can walk behind it as it won't actually effect anything else?
600 hours in factorio? No problem.

anarchyinc
Inserter
Inserter

Post by anarchyinc »

I modded my roboports to a 3x3 foot print and it looked great, until I updated the base game and they obviously reverted back. As for the collision boxes, I never play without "squeek though". In fact, I created my own personal mod with all these types of simple edits so that I never have to worry about changes when updating.
"Friends don't let friends drink & drive", "Gamers don't let gamers install steam"

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”