Entity deconstructor or disassembling machine

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Dutchfactory
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Entity deconstructor or disassembling machine

Post by Dutchfactory »

Hi all,
Sorry for bringing this up and suggest (yes I did search before posting)
I’d like to see a machine added that are able to destroy items (to combat the ever increasing amount of obsolete items)
or perhaps more elegantly, a disassembling machine (also stage 1 to 3 perhaps?)
This would help clean up the base and the code does not need to track all these items any more, so ups/fps increase is to be expected imho
In my base (little hint about it’s site :-) it runs on 107 GW power ) this is an increasing problem. But perhaps it’s just me
As ever,
Kind regards,
Fan

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Entity deconstructor or disassembling machine

Post by FuryoftheStars »

If by "entity" you're referring to them built out in the world, robots + deconstruction/upgrade planners.

If you're referring to them after they're in chests, these are now "items" and have no UPS impact. Some lower tier items (like yellow belts and inserters) can be fed back into the production cycle as they can be used to produce higher tier items (or, especially in the case of the two I mentioned, research).

Otherwise, recycling is a thing that's been asked for before, and there do exist mods for it. The only potential issue with allowing recycling in the base game is the impact it could have on resource availability, but for all intents and purposes, all this really affects is how frequently you'd have to move on to new patches.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles | New Gear Girl & HR Graphics

Dutchfactory
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Dutchfactory »

well, thanks for your kind reply. No, It's not the deconstruction function of the bots (I'm well aware of that btw)

You can call it recycling, by all means, but disassembling function I could imagine is for example: first you build a low density structure, requiring well copper plates, plastic, and iron, in a certain amount per item. Disassembling a low density structure could result in the raw materials, even with a penalty for doing so or something like that.

But my main concern is the massive waste of non-used stuff. yellow bands, loads of chests filled with coal from the early stages, first tier of energy production stuff, and so on. These pile up to enormous amounts (let alone the uranium stuff!) so, I can go around dumping these in certain areas and bomb it (or put water tiles over them, this causes them to be deleted instantly) but more elegantly is perhaps a machine to do that for you.

It would fit the character of the gameplay in my view. Well, I thought let's get the idea out to you all and see what the response is :)

Regards,

Nidan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nidan »

Dutchfactory wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:44 pm
You can call it recycling, by all means, but disassembling function I could imagine is for example: first you build a low density structure, requiring well copper plates, plastic, and iron, in a certain amount per item. Disassembling a low density structure could result in the raw materials, even with a penalty for doing so or something like that.
Others seems to call or recycling as well: https://mods.factorio.com/?version=1.1&query=Recycling Well, at least 4 of these match your search.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Dutchfactory wrote:
well, thanks for your kind reply. No, It's not the deconstruction function of the bots (I'm well aware of that btw)

But my main concern is the massive waste of non-used stuff. yellow bands, loads of chests filled with coal from the early stages, first tier of energy production stuff, and so on. These pile up to enormous amounts (let alone the uranium stuff!) so, I can go around dumping these in certain areas and bomb it (or put water tiles over them, this causes them to be deleted instantly) but more elegantly is perhaps a machine to do that for you.

It would fit the character of the gameplay in my view. Well, I thought let's get the idea out to you all and see what the response is :)

Regards,
Well, as mentioned (and linked), there are already suggestions for it, just they referred to it as recycling, which is perhaps why you didn't find it.

Yellow bands? Belts? You can put these back into your production line to make red (and blue), or feed them in for green science.
Coal... what are you going to disassemble/recycle that into? You need that for plastic and other production, anyway. :shock:

(I do wonder sometimes, though, how some people end up with so much to recycle or get rid of whereas I usually end up with next to nothing....)

Nidan wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:15 pm
Dutchfactory wrote:
Others seems to call or recycling as well: https://mods.factorio.com/?version=1.1&query=Recycling Well, at least 4 of these match your search.
Yup. This is the one I've been using for a long time: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/ZRecycling
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles | New Gear Girl & HR Graphics

Dutchfactory
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Dutchfactory »

nice!. Thank you guys.
As how to it's possible to have this issues; I'll post some pics next week of my base. I think that clears it up.
In text an example of perhaps my stupidity :arrow:
I made factory units capable of 2K spm of each science (except for ' black ' ) . In doing so expanding my factory to -again- it's next stage meant rerouting belts, trAintracks, expanding loading/unloading stations, deconstruct parts of the old startup factory, and so on.
What happens, is that my sweet personal bots go around and gather all the items and throw them in the storage system.
It's as good as impossible for the items for which this applies at least, to re-inject them in the factory manually. That is simply far to much work. So, therefore, I'm interested in a machine - version of the good 'ol infinity boxes in the creative mode. It should do exactly the same, just by means of a nice factory-style machine.

So, although also a nice concept : the recycling them, I'm mainly targeting the ' just-get-rid-of-stuff'' system.

And what to think of all the nuclear waste. IMHO I do run a quite large reactor setup that produces > 100 GW. This means A LOT of used fuel cells.
And no, these simply cannot be reinjected in the current available processes to the point it (almost) has no waste. Sooo, I made trains to drive it to the dessert to dump it in depots.... And yes, to destroy it for example with water-tiles or some stupid solution.

I could also fire it of to space :-) But after firing over 40K rockets this still doesn't appeal to me.

Any thoughts on the destroyer - machine possibility?

Kind regards,
Fan

Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Amarula »

I too have a large base that I like to remodel, which involves tearing everything down and rebuilding differently. My approach is a train stop with yellow storage chests, where deconstructed materials are dumped er stored, to be loaded on to the recycle train. As soon as there are used items in the chests, the stop is enabled to summon the train, which automatically returns items to be re-used. When I am going to deconstruct a section, I just drop down the blueprint for this recycle train stop, and once it is built then order the deconstruction to begin.
It does take a little redesign for the production in my mall blocks to accept the recycled items, and prefer them over new production. I have requester chests to accept the recycled items, and the inserters from new production assemblers are only enabled when those chests are empty.

As for used fuel cells, they can be recycled: https://wiki.factorio.com/Nuclear_fuel_reprocessing
My own personal Factorio super-power - running out of power.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Dutchfactory wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:52 am
It's as good as impossible for the items for which this applies at least, to re-inject them in the factory manually. That is simply far to much work.
You can handle this automatically, either with simple requester chests (for items that you want to recycle everything of), or requester chests connected to a circuit network (for items where you want some left in storage for construction, but anything over X amount gets recycled.

Example image:
Reinsert items to production.jpg
Reinsert items to production.jpg (97.09 KiB) Viewed 1472 times
Dutchfactory wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:52 am
And what to think of all the nuclear waste. IMHO I do run a quite large reactor setup that produces > 100 GW. This means A LOT of used fuel cells.
And no, these simply cannot be reinjected in the current available processes to the point it (almost) has no waste. Sooo, I made trains to drive it to the dessert to dump it in depots.... And yes, to destroy it for example with water-tiles or some stupid solution.
While that's about how it's done in real life ( :lol: ), in game we do specifically have a vanilla recipe for recycling them:
Nuclear fuel recycling.jpg
Nuclear fuel recycling.jpg (37.32 KiB) Viewed 1472 times

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

You can use storage chests with the item filtered. That way you can still provide new items you build to the construction robots or personal logistics without them getting put on the belt.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”