Friday Facts #36

Regular reports on Factorio development.
slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Friday Facts #36

Post by slpwnd »

Sorry to keep you waiting, we present you Friday Facts written on Saturday morning: http://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-36

saykhia
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #36

Post by saykhia »

Concept #4 reminds me of the orbital command from SC2 :D

Tami
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tami »

- Give me your Patch ...
- Why?
- Because iam sad ...
- *giving the patch* ;)

Calico
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Calico »

nooooooo, my failsafe failed... the plan was to play Factorio if StarCitzien fails me... but now my failsafe failed me... damnit. *goes in corner and cries*
Guess i'll play Prison Architect then.
Any chance that you can release 0.10 before friday as experimental?

MaxStrategy
Inserter
Inserter

Post by MaxStrategy »

But if you fix all the bugs then what will we have left complain about? :(

BurnHard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BurnHard »

I am really hoping you release it friday afternoon, so I can play it in the evening.

someloser
Inserter
Inserter

Post by someloser »

I really like the player model shown on the blog page, especially the welders mask.
DT-Extend - DyTech ores and other things.

therapist
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by therapist »

BurnHard wrote:I am really hoping you release it friday afternoon, so I can play it in the evening.
Friday morning would be fine too, considering they're taking an extra week and all.

I think the devs have gotten vain about 0.10.0, they were ready to release 0.9.0 with plenty of bugs but want 0.10.0 to be very bug free and have have replays playable across different platforms. I can understand why though, it's very likely that many review websites and youtubers will do articles/videos on factorio to cover the addition of multiplayer, and we are not going to get an update to that coverage when the bugs are fixed. People all over the world would be reading or youtubing that there are 3 rooms for different operating systems, and the linux and OSX communities would be turned off by this, then when the bugfixes to unify these platforms comes out, those youtubers and review sites probably are not going to run another story and let the world know those issues are gone. This is all fine and dandy for the dev's reputation, their profits, and the ultimate success of factorio BUT NEXT TIME WARN THE FLIPPIN FANBASE THAT MAYBE THE RELEASE IS GETTING PUSHED BACK BEFORE IT BECOMES THE NEXT FLIPPING DAY. AAAARGH. You owe me a new f5 key (refresh). We all really do appreciate the effort to try for a release yesterday, but you have to be able to admit when the day comes and you're not ready that it's over and you're late. Set a time for yourself when you have to declare a push back. Preferably 6 pm is pretty late, but I have no problem with you denying deadline defeat until 10pm that night, but the next morning is just cruel. You always have the option to surprise us with an early release after announcing you're gonna be late if you want to try and work towards a release until you're falling asleep.

Love, The Rapist

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Well, multiplayer will be ready with v0.12. Not v0.10. For now they try to make the replay work.

And to the promised release shifting: I don't think, that v0.10 has many for the player visible of new stuff. The most things are under the hood.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Dadys_Toy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Dadys_Toy »

I understand not realy the complete message, but interesting.
I hope my savegames are still working? ;)

bg :)

Kanthes
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Kanthes »

A lot of the stuff for the 0.10 release is under the hood, stuff we wouldn't normally notice as players, but y'know what? I'm actually quite fine with that. Certain things need to happen before devs can move on to what we want to see, and that's okay! Making sure there's a functional replay ability without desyncing is a great step towards multiplayer, and personally, I can't wait to host a server myself (if that's the way the multiplayer will work!).

For now, I'm all about making the most impressive, most efficient base possible.

Artman40
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Artman40 »

saykhia wrote:Concept #4 reminds me of the orbital command from SC2 :D
Incoming auxiliary buildings?

KDR_11k
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by KDR_11k »

I think Spring RTS uses the Boost libraries for deterministic math.

therapist
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by therapist »

ssilk wrote:Well, multiplayer will be ready with v0.12. Not v0.10. For now they try to make the replay work.
Oh, the press release got my hopes up talking about multiplayer and the OS specific lobbies. Guess we'll just have to wait :(

MtNak
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MtNak »

Therapist:
There will be bugs with 0.10, no doubt about that. They decided to postpone it because a bug was so big that was unplayable. Also, multiplayer it is not expected for this version, thats a few months away.

With 0.10 there's not much for as players to expect for. The changes are good, but nothing that will change the way we play.

I have sooooo much to do with this version already, at least 100 more hours, so i'm in no hurry for the next big thing.

Rakshasa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rakshasa »

That you'd get different results for the trigonometric functions should not be a reason to implement them by hand... They are available in current x86 instruction sets and afaicr should have consistent behavior across models.

Looking at the assembler should show the potential inconsistencies in calling the instructions between the three platforms.

Myrmidon
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Myrmidon »

Not sure if you evaluated this, but CRlibm provides correctly (=> deterministically) rounded math functions (all the C99 ones).

If you're using the LuaJIT implementation (just-in-time compiled Lua, significantly faster than the lua.org implementation), at least the basic floating point operations are deterministic (* / + -) and the CRlibm math functions could be called with almost zero overhead via FFI (see also: http://www.freelists.org/post/luajit/Lu ... eterminism).

I don't know of a deterministic math library for the default Lua implementation (but there might exist one).

boki
Inserter
Inserter

Post by boki »

I am probably in minority but i dont care that much about multiplayer in games like this (no one will touch my resources or my perfectly planned factory layout :) ), and would much more like if the huge time invested in making mutiplayer work to be invested in the game it self and new content/mechanics.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

boki wrote:I am probably in minority but i dont care that much about multiplayer in games like this (no one will touch my resources or my perfectly planned factory layout :) ), and would much more like if the huge time invested in making mutiplayer work to be invested in the game it self and new content/mechanics.
Well everyone has different needs.

You can look at it in a way, that it will bring more people and more money, so we can hire more people and make the game even more polished for you to enjoy as well :)

Trucario
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Trucario »

boki wrote:I am probably in minority but i dont care that much about multiplayer in games like this (no one will touch my resources or my perfectly planned factory layout :) ), and would much more like if the huge time invested in making mutiplayer work to be invested in the game it self and new content/mechanics.

More people playing at the same game = Bigger Factories :D

Its called Cooperative.

Return to “News”