Friday Facts #410 - Rocket turret & Target priorities

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Friday Facts #410 - Rocket turret & Target priorities

Post by Koub »

gGeorg wrote: โ†‘
Sat May 18, 2024 10:48 am
[...]
Qon wrote: โ†‘
Sat May 18, 2024 5:37 pm
[...]
[Koub] I'm OK with you discussing on that, but please, do so in the thread where Qon showcases his build, not here, where it's mostly off topic. Or in private if you prefer settling things just between you. And obviously, please keep things respectful.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

X3KJ
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #410 - Rocket turret & Target priorities

Post by X3KJ »

Can we please also get a cannon turret? โ˜บ Using the tank turret as reference maybe? Or something beefier...
It's a crime that tank cannon shells are so underutilized, and only serve as intermediary product for artillery now (which doesnt make much sense logically, but i'm willing to suspend my belief there for the greater good).

Relying on rockets can be a problem because they take a long time to the target. Cannons are much faster -> the target can't get as close.
The deficiency of the slow rocket speed is apparent when you use multiple spidertrons to try and run over big biter nests.

Figuring out the best targeting trade-off between cannon and missile sounds like a fun balance to strike. Figuring it out between missile and mg is kind of a no brainer.

Edit:
1) Maybe even best of both worlds? -> spidertron variant with cannons. And the turret can be used stationary too ๐Ÿ™ƒ
2) Could we please also get a minimum firing range setting? For nuclear and explosive missiles this seems kinda important to not blow up your own base.
3) It would make sense to limit the firing arc of missile turrets too (similar to flame turrets, but maybe a little wider? Imagine bugs knawing at the wall sections, only to have one distant Nuke turret be in range of them and wreck the entire defense line.

Honestly i feel like the missile turret for asteroids should be cannons... removing the electrical component, but still having target tracking makes not much sense, when you also have "dumb" rounds - in the form of cannons. Or alternatively - rocket vs. missile. Rockets for firing unguided (at asteroids, which don't move unpredictably) and Missiles for firing at bugs etc.

Return to โ€œNewsโ€