[1.1.104] Crash on linux in "sound code"

Place for things which are bugs but we have no idea how to solve them. Things related to hardware, libraries, strange setups, etc.
ashkante
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[1.1.104] Crash on linux in "sound code"

Post by ashkante »

This has happened three times in the past few days, unfortunately I kept the logs only for the past two times, primarily to see where and how consistently this happens.

It was a segfault on all three occasions, and the two logs I have show it was somewhere inside the mixer and vorbis (other than that, they may not be related). Attached both logs and the savegame (autosave happened approximately one minute before the crash). I'm not sure I can reproduce this at will, as it seems to happen randomly during gameplay, and I couldn't so far tie it to any specific action.

Note that this is a relatively new PC, so it's possible there's a hardware glitch, but I ran the usual memory and stress tests and haven't found anything odd. I was also able to play a less-modded game with a friend for some hours without issue, so the actual trigger may be in the specific set of mods on this map. As an additional note, this only started to happen within the last ~2h on this map, I'd played the first ~20h without issue (on this PC). During this time, as far as I remember I didn't change any mods, other than updating Hhelmod" and then reverting it, and installing "Factory planner"

Please let me know if you need more details about my OS and setup, or would like me to try anything specific.

Code: Select all

at 13:56:13 ➜  uname -a
Linux dash 6.7.10 #1-NixOS SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Fri Mar 15 18:22:41 UTC 2024 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Edit: I will add more detail here as I encounter it.
Attachments
mod-settings.txt
(21.3 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
mod-list.json
(4.93 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
hw_spec.txt
(37.29 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
_autosave1.zip
(20.72 MiB) Downloaded 10 times
crash2.log
(49.98 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
crash1.log
(46.42 KiB) Downloaded 12 times

ashkante
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [1.1.104] Crash on linux in "sound code"

Post by ashkante »

New finding: I had some anomalies earlier today, so I went to repeat a lot of memory testing, and it seems my PC is unstable, with very rare and sneaky failures, only at some memory addreses at 8000 MT/s. It would explain the occasional random crash, if it just happened to touch one of those addresses.

I've dropped the memory profile down a little and haven't been able to reproduce the instability. I will continue playing my map as normal, and if I don't see any further segfaults in the next few days, I will assume this was it.

Return to “1 / 0 magic”