Silica v 0.1.5 [0.11.x][WIP]

Topics and discussion about specific mods
chriscisco
Inserter
Inserter

Silica v 0.1.5 [0.11.x][WIP]

Post by chriscisco »

Silica is a mod that adds a number of features to the base game that expand functionality, while keeping the vanilla feel.

Features:
  • Silica Ore - A new ore used in various productions chains, for concrete and silicon and other terraforming products.
  • Terraforming - Allows terraforming of the map with concrete, grass, sand, dirt and canals.
  • More Fluid Barrels - Provides barrels for all other fluid types.
[*]Base Tweaks - Tweaks some base items.
For a full list, please see the Read Me.

Pictures:
Picture Album

History:
Silica is my first mod for Factorio, It started as a way to reduce dependence on iron in the mid/late game, while at the same time making the production of circuits more realistic while still keeping the mod in line with the core game. However I realized that adding an entire new ore for one production chain was not enough to make a releasable mod. As I continued development I decided to take the mod in the direction of making this a mod that is not just based on the silica ore. The mod now includes terraforming and additional fluid handling options.

Planned Features:
  • Laser Gun and Upgrade techs for it.
  • Alien Armour Level.
  • Additional Floor types, looking for suggestions of patterns.
  • Carbon Sequestration that will remove some pollution from a section.
  • Change the hit box for the Gun Turret so it can be placed in the same density both horizontally and vertically.
  • I am going to explore creating a new power type.
  • Additional things to use alien artifacts for.
  • Complete localization (volunteers needed), currently only has the English localization.
  • This mod is still very much a work in process, I will be happy to take suggestions under consideration
Notes:
  • I recommend you start a new map because it adds a new resources, while you can trek out to find silica ore, it can be difficult given that this replaces iron in green circuits.
  • This is a very early version of the mod, I cannot guarantee that saves will work with it as I develop it.
Silica Read Me

Silica Recipe Guide
This is still a WIP, please give me suggestions, I will continue adding recipes to it as well.

Change Log:
See Read-me for the Change log.

Reporting Issues/Bugs/Errors:
If you comer across an error or bug please let me know as soon as possible.
I need to know what version of Factorio you are using.
I also need to know what other mods you are using if any.
I may also ask for a copy of your save game if necessary.

Known Issues:
  • The game will fail to start if you use other mods that load before silica that also add new fluids.

Download:
Last edited by chriscisco on Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:35 pm, edited 26 times in total.

AlphaRaptor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Silica v 0.0.2 [0.11.x][WIP]

Post by AlphaRaptor »

Can you add an Item that can remove the Concrete from the ground , lika a Concrete-B-Gone or something like that ?
Live your life like you want.
Mods are still Awesome , and i love Mods , for every Game.

Lov'in it.

SuperSandro2000
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SuperSandro2000 »

i like the idea. Can you add some pictures?

chriscisco
Inserter
Inserter

Post by chriscisco »

AlphaRaptor wrote:Can you add an Item that can remove the Concrete from the ground , lika (sic) a Concrete-B-Gone or something like that ?
I have added a way to create grass tiles, which can be used to make any tile grass, including concrete and concrete water pits.
SuperSandro2000 wrote:i like the idea. Can you add some pictures?
Added a Picture album.

AlphaRaptor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AlphaRaptor »

chriscisco wrote:
AlphaRaptor wrote:Can you add an Item that can remove the Concrete from the ground , lika (sic) a Concrete-B-Gone or something like that ?
I have added a way to create grass tiles, which can be used to make any tile grass, including concrete and concrete water pits.
Ok , Thanks , and btw , you can use DyTech to make Sand because many People play with DyTech :D

Its just an Idea.

Lov'in it.

chriscisco
Inserter
Inserter

Post by chriscisco »

AlphaRaptor wrote: Ok , Thanks , and btw , you can use DyTech to make Sand because many People play with DyTech :D
Its just an Idea.
I am not going to create a dependency just for sand, however I plan on making my mod compatible with mods like DyTech.

G_glop
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Silica v 0.1.1 [0.11.x][WIP]

Post by G_glop »

Great mod! installing that right now. btw about the sand/dytech problmem why not just make a recipe that uses silica and another one that uses sand from dytech?

chriscisco
Inserter
Inserter

Post by chriscisco »

G_glop wrote:Great mod! installing that right now. btw about the sand/dytech problmem why not just make a recipe that uses silica and another one that uses sand from dytech?
I will most likely do something like that latter on, I want to keep working on features first, I will focus on compatibility closer to v1.0.0, With that said the mod should work fine with DyTech and most other mods right now as i, if anyone finds an issue that actually doesn't work, let me know.

L0771
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by L0771 »

I can suggest more generic barrels with compatibility.

Is only a idea.

Code: Select all

for k,fluid pairs(data.raw.fluid) do
	if not data.raw.items[fluid.name .. "-barrel"] then
		data:extend(
		{
			-- A generic item
			{
			type = "item",
			name = fluid.name .. "-barrel",
			icon = "__mod__/graphics/icons/barrels/generic-barrel.png", -- generic icon
			flags = {"goes-to-main-inventory"},
			subgroup = "barrel",
			order = "b[barrel]",
			stack_size = 10
			},

-- Fill the barrel
			{
			type = "recipe",
			name = "fill-" .. fluid.name .. "-barrel",
			category = "crafting-with-fluid",
			energy_required = 1,
			subgroup = "barrel",
			order = "b[fill-barrel]",
			enabled = "false",
			icon = "__mod__/graphics/icons/barrels/fill-generic-barrel.png", -- generic icon
			ingredients =
				{
				{type="fluid", name= fluid.name, amount=25},
				{type="item", name="empty-barrel", amount=1},
				},
			results=
				{
				{type="item", name= fluid.name .. "-barrel", amount=1}
				}
			},

-- Empty the barrel
			{
			type = "recipe",
			name = "empty-" .. fluid.name .. "-barrel",
			category = "crafting-with-fluid",
			energy_required = 1,
			subgroup = "barrel",
			order = "c[empty-barrel]",
			enabled = "false",
			icon = "__mod__/graphics/icons/barrels/empty-generic-barrel.png", -- generic icon
			ingredients =
				{
				{type="item", name= fluid.name"-barrel", amount=1}
				},
			results=
				{
				{type="fluid", name= fluid.name, amount=25},
				{type="item", name="empty-barrel", amount=1}
				}
			},
		})
	end
end

chriscisco
Inserter
Inserter

Post by chriscisco »

L0771 wrote:I can suggest more generic barrels with compatibility.
Is only a idea.
I am definitely going to moving some data creation to more generic systems like that so thanks.

G_glop
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Silica v 0.1.2 [0.11.x][WIP]

Post by G_glop »

Please make it so biters can walk ower concrete water pit, because its wery simple to create an "island" that biters/spitters can't get on.

chriscisco
Inserter
Inserter

Post by chriscisco »

G_glop wrote:Please make it so biters can walk ower concrete water pit, because its wery simple to create an "island" that biters/spitters can't get on.
Well is is somewhat easy, it would take quite a bit of time to actually make a large island for a base that can win the game, I may tweak the recipe, but I cannot make biters be able to walk over it and keep it being used as a pump, at a certain point it is up to the user whether or not they want to make themselves into an island, since resources are not unlimited you are going to have to leave at some point to gather more which requires breaking the island.

I am currently trying to se how long (non sped run style) it would take to actually make an island, I am several hours in and it is taking quite awhile.

For some quick math, lets say you want a nXn tile area made into an island. the number of concrete water pits required is =(n/2) * 4 + 4. This assumes you don't overlap tiles.

Lets put some real numbers into that, 100x100, would be (100/2) * 4 + 4 = 204 tiles which is 5100 concrete and 102 minutes of production time.

I recently added terraform canal is certainly a better use of resources and time, but I have not balanced them at all.

G_glop
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by G_glop »

Sorry for that i didn't mention how much resources(enough to make a shaped compression bomb from landfill), and lot of players go for maps with "almost" an island that woud require much less resources to cut off completely/create 2 wide choke points, about the resources running out, they coud be transported ower the gap using logistic robots from roboports each on its own island, this is become much easier with some mods adding longer range roboports.

chriscisco
Inserter
Inserter

Post by chriscisco »

G_glop wrote:Sorry for that i didn't mention how much resources(enough to make a shaped compression bomb from landfill), and lot of players go for maps with "almost" an island that woud require much less resources to cut off completely, about the resources running out, they coud be transported ower the gap using logistic robots from roboports each on its own island, this is become much easier with some mods adding longer range roboports.
Certainly those things are possible, and if you choose to play that way more power to you, I am certainly a believer in playing the game how you want.

G_glop
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Silica v 0.1.3 [0.11.x][WIP]

Post by G_glop »

Anyway its going to be a long time until i get to that point in game(wery long). Cartmen's Complete Overhaul is really time consuming. I guess I'll have to use trees for now. ;)

G_glop
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Silica v 0.1.4 [0.11.x][WIP]

Post by G_glop »

Well that was easier then i thought!

chriscisco
Inserter
Inserter

Post by chriscisco »

G_glop wrote:Well that was easier then i thought!
That is pretty impressive.

AlphaRaptor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AlphaRaptor »

G_glop wrote:Well that was easier then i thought!
Lol , nice Idea man :lol:

Lov'in it.

G_glop
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by G_glop »

It was around 1000 concrete water pits(25000 silica), it will be harder to fill it up with concrete floor and idk how long the salt will last (used for science packs 3 in Cartmen's complete overhaul) and there is some 2 second freezes due to lua limitantions, but still better then constant worry of alien attacks/pollution overproduction(used a tree barrier before to contain it) :D

chriscisco
Inserter
Inserter

Post by chriscisco »

G_glop wrote:It was around 1000 concrete water pits(25000 silica), it will be harder to fill it up with concrete floor and idk how long the salt will last (used for science packs 3 in Cartmen's complete overhaul) and there is some 2 second freezes due to lua limitantions, but still better then constant worry of alien attacks/pollution overproduction(used a tree barrier before to contain it) :D
I imagine the freezes are path finding related.

One of the things I want to add to game as part of my mod is a flying alien (of sorts), if I can figure out how to get it working.

Return to “Mods”