Mod profiling

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Mod profiling

Post by Boogieman14 »

Couldn't really find anything definitive on this subject, so I'll just throw in the question.

With a bunch of mods added, I'm now getting between 55 and 59ish fps in a new game. Also I'm experiencing very brief freezes roughly 3 seconds apart (brief, but noticable enough to be annoying). I'd like to try and figure out what's causing that, but I have no idea what kind of tools are available beyond the time_used_percent in debug settings. Are there even any, and if so, how would I access them?
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Mod profiling

Post by n9103 »

the time_used info should be enough on it's own to see which mods are using the most ticks.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

Well, that doesn't give me all that much information in this case, the highest is peaking around 0.015. I've also done a little eliminating, it looks like it isn't a specific mod. I split it up in two sets, one was all the dytech mods, the other was a bunch of utility mods (rso, resource monitor, train controller, my chests). With either set, those freezes were quite noticable. I'm afraid troubleshooting this would take some dev effort then :(
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

By any chance are you getting these freezes at the same time it autosaves?
If so, that means you've got way too many things trying to read from the disk at the same time.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

No, autosave isn't happening every three seconds ;) In these fresh games, autosave isn't particularly noticable (it kinda blends in with those 3-second interval freezes). In my old factory, autosave does take what feels like forever (haven't counted, but multi-second), but then that's a 150MB zipfile.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Do you have any dytech item collectors (or the ones I made) near belts?

That's a common issue for micro stutter like you're describing.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

No, I don't have anything at all. I just generate a new game and start running around and there's this stutter (that's the word I was looking for all along :) ). I've tried without any mods, and everything is fine (or at least, no noticable stutter). I've tried with just my list of utility mods (to be exact: Equalizer Chests, Explosive Termites, Foreman, Landfill, Resource Monitor, RSO, FatController and a few that only do data.lua modifications: AdvancedRadars, Larger Inventory, MoreLight), this gives slightly noticable stutter. I've tried with just dytech (all that's 0.11-ready, except tools), this gives slightly noticable stutter. I've tried with that full list combined, it gives slightly more noticable stutter.

I guess all this kinda rules out a specific mod, but perhaps it's just the adding up of several ontick functions. Maybe some come into action every 1 second and some every 1.5 seconds, causing them to coincide at that 3 second spot and interfering with each other (although I kinda assume all ontick functions are processed sequentially, so interference seems unlikely).

It is entirely possible it's something about my PC, although it is reasonably beefy (albeit not the most recent: Core i5-4570, 16GB ram, Radeon 68x0 GPU [I think it's an 6870], OS and everything Factorio related is on an SSD), but it could also be something about Factorio. If the latter's the case, I'd love to present a clear report to the devs so they can hopefully fix it.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Could you zip up all the mods you're using and a save you're having the issue on so I can experiment with it?

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

The mods are here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qh103n3uf5v7l ... y.zip?dl=0
As for the save, it happens with any new game that I start.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

I installed the mods and it's running at a perfect 60/60 FPS/UPS for me on every world I generate. Do you have any other programs running in the background? Maybe Antivirus is scanning the program as it runs?

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

Highly unlikely it's any kind of background process. That would make it more consistent between setups and probably not occur with such clockwork precision. I made a bugreport about it: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=7&t=6556 (I thought I'd linked it here already, but I guess I didn't.)

Return to “Modding help”