[0.9.8] Trains going north<->south shorter than east<->west

Bugs that are actually features.
Alvin853
Inserter
Inserter

[0.9.8] Trains going north<->south shorter than east<->west

Post by Alvin853 »

I was trying to copy my unloading station by using a blueprint, but when my train reached the 90° rotated station all the inserters were in the wrong place, and I had to redo most of the layout.

squisher
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.9.8] Trains going north<->south shorter than east<->w

Post by squisher »

I found this very annoying. As a workaround I only use east-west oriented train stations... they're just better. :(

Gammro
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gammro »

I should have made a formal report of this a while ago, it's been bothering me ever since I found out you couldn't have the same amount of inserters working on a train when it was on a N-S aligned station.
Ignore this

ysor123
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ysor123 »

Yes. This was very annoying in my case too. What is also annoying: It seems to have an odd offset (3) if placing west <> est. So even if you build a correct station with inserters and chest, it might not fit just because the train stops somewhere in between. So you have to move the whole construction as it is 1 tile to west or east to hit the "even" spot. Moving only the train station does not solve the problem ;(

albarak
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by albarak »

I wouldn't call this one a bug so much as a quirk. Since the build tiles are perfectly square, but all entities are projected in isometric view, there's always going to be some weirdness when the two interact.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Albarak is right, this is not a bug. Though I agree that it can be rather annoying.

arl85
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by arl85 »

Gammro wrote: I found out you couldn't have the same amount of inserters working on a train when it was on a N-S aligned station
ysor123 wrote: It seems to have an odd offset (3) if placing west <> est. So even if you build a correct station with inserters and chest, it might not fit just because the train stops somewhere in between. So you have to move the whole construction as it is 1 tile to west or east to hit the "even" spot. Moving only the train station does not solve the problem ;(
I think it should not be considered WAD: same number of inserter should work next to E-W trains as next to N-S ones.
albarak wrote:I wouldn't call this one a bug so much as a quirk. Since the build tiles are perfectly square, but all entities are projected in isometric view, there's always going to be some weirdness when the two interact.
While I understand the "isometric problem", I expected that it is related on how the train is draw, not the real positioning of it.

EDIT
I did some testing (see file). You can see how N-S stations only allow 5 inserters to grab the wagon, while E-W ones allow 6 inserters.
But moving manually train a bit backward when at stop point on N-S stations lets the 6th inserter work even on N-S stations.
Do you need help taking screenshots in-game? have a look to my guide to calculate screenshot dimensions

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

arl85 wrote: But moving manually train a bit backward when at stop point on N-S stations lets the 6th inserter work even on N-S stations.
This works in this special case, but wouldn't work if the train was longer. The problem is more fundamental - different lengths in different directions. Well the internal length of the cargo wagons is the same, but the absolute length of the train is not.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I would find it more useful, if a train stop can show me the inserter positions of some types of trains.

Click on train stop -> choose new train position tab -> configure train -> highlighted positions on map.

The next logical step would be, that construction bots can build up a train with that configuration.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Turtle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Turtle »

ssilk wrote:I would find it more useful, if a train stop can show me the inserter positions of some types of trains.

Click on train stop -> choose new train position tab -> configure train -> highlighted positions on map.

The next logical step would be, that construction bots can build up a train with that configuration.
This would be very helpful. When I'm placing a new station, I have to bring a train with me and make to "go to station" and stop the train. Then I line up all the inserters and chests. And because I hate it when I think I'm done and something isn't working, I manually insert 1 item into each chest and power it to make sure they can all insert into the cargo wagons. Then I can finally build all the belts to the chests/inserters. So while I'm doing all this, one train is not "working" because it's sitting at my station while I measure everything out.

I still want a flatbed cargo wagon though! It would be so nice to just have a crane load/unload a container.

arl85
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by arl85 »

Cross-postin from here (maybe it should be merged with this topic)
arl85 wrote:Please forgive me, but I cannot understand (because I've no idea about how it works behind the scenes) how the way train is displayed may affects the way it interacts with inserters,for example.

Please consider that I have no idea how these things work so maybe what I'm saying is simply rubbish.

my idea is that there's a "wagon "object" and a "wagon texture"
A wagon is 6 tiles long (I think); when it is displayed, because of isometry etc, it may appear shorter/longer/tilted/etc than real value, but nonetheless it is 6 tiles long.

But from what you says it seems it is not working this way.
Do you need help taking screenshots in-game? have a look to my guide to calculate screenshot dimensions

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Yeah... I find this highly annoying also.
In my opinion the train should be redrawn so that this doesn't happen, and instead it is equil in all directions.

Furthermore, as it might also have been mentioned, it can be hard to calculate where exactly to put inserters, because the train isn't an exact multiple of tiles in length, so if dealing with a longer train, after about 4 or 5 carriages, you have to shift your station platform a tile across, otherwise it isn't in line with the carriages.

Yes I use long trains sometimes, though after about 5 carriages, the train becomes too slow anyway.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

One annoying thing is bothering me from long time. Wagons placed horizontal have 7 square length but connected each other there are space between them so 2 wagons have more than 14 square length. Because of that wagons doesn't fit to inserters. I can place 7 inserters for 1st wagon, 7 for 2nd, 8 for 3rd, 6 for 4th...
I think that wagons should be little shorter to compensate space between them while connected.

Return to “Not a bug”