[MOD 0.12.x] CyberChest 0.9.1 (ported by jorgenRe)

Topics and discussion about specific mods
SigmatroN
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [Mod 0.12] CyberChest 0.9.1 (ported by jorgenRe)

Post by SigmatroN »

Rocksen wrote:Hello i don't know if theirs a a subfourm for this. Right now i have....only 12 cyberchests (6 doing red packs the other 6 doing green)..and when they run my fps drops ALOT i see that as you update it gets better but with only 12 out that are running and factorio goes from 5% (of 15) to 12-13 just from the cyberchests alone i think their must be something wrong with it lol( i know it's doing a lot but their has to be some way to improve it). oh 6 idle 6 running was bad but 12 running is alot worse lol, from 60+ fps all the time no pauses to 45-53 fps with pauses every few secs. i really love the mod and its really really quite cool but can't even use it if it lags so badly. i mean if maybe they gave a bigger boost in speed i wouldn't need 6 for each pack but... even then you could only really use 6ish b4 your game starts to lose fps..and my computer is not some run of the mill computer. again its a sweet mod but i guess ill have to go back to the old way of doing things =( i hope with time the cyber chests wont destory my fps.( or ill just use 2-3 and be happy with that lol =D)
Can you send me your save or something? Because I didn't experience such problems, especially after the 9.0 update on my test factories.
Now it should be noted that it certainly has loads of room for improvement then, but it would require a varying degree of change needed.
If that's so, tell me please, what could be improved.

Zeeth_Kyrah
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Zeeth_Kyrah »

SigmatroN wrote:
Rocksen wrote:Now it should be noted that it certainly has loads of room for improvement then, but it would require a varying degree of change needed.
If that's so, tell me please, what could be improved.
This is an awesome mod for space efficiency, and really gives the player options for production. That said, it's really slow if you don't upgrade the chest properly because of timing issues (one recipe change per second, five second wait for materials if out, resets fully each time and won't progress if prior recipes are missing materials). I set one cyberchest to make smart inserters, making each recipe in the production chain one time, and then 50 smart inserters. It was doing okay, but a standard production line might have been faster just because I could get a continuous assembly of materials going. So the best bet is to mass produce each item first, which is counter-intuitive to me. The whole point for me was to use only one cyberchest and one assembling machine for this vital recipe instead of filling up my factory zone with a bunch of stuff for mass production. Maybe upgrading the chest more would be a good thing, I dunno. I'm guessing this would be more useful to me if I had a different attitude toward its use.

One change I'd go with would be if a recipe can't be completed, go back one step in the list of recipes instead of doing a full reset, until it hits the first recipe and has to reset. Test it both ways first, but I believe stepping backward when out of materials will be much more resource efficient at the cost of being somewhat slower. I'd also have each button set a flag so that the machine acts as soon as it reads the flag instead of me having to catch it in a certain part of its cycle to get a quick response (or any, my computer is slow and the cyberchest is slow to respond to its GUI). On top of that, the control GUI should explicitly indicate at all times whether the cyberchest is stopped, paused, or running, as well as showing the process status which you already display. That will help let the user know if the chest is responding to their input.
Planned projects: Energy Crystals Plus, Minor Fluid Handling, Small electric furnaces
(high-energy materials and assembler, fluid void burner and small tank, tiny and slow furnaces with charcoal)

Rocksen
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] CyberChest 0.9.1 (ported by jorgenRe)

Post by Rocksen »

SigmatroN

im playing on a modpack (shadows maga modepack the latest one as of this post as far as i know(which i checked and it has the latest cyberchest 0.9.1)) which might have something to do with it. but even so its the only that that really killed my fps so far as far as i the save goes i could upload it just let me know if you still want/need it i still have them set up i just disconnected the power nearby(like i said its only when they are running/idle and actived.
i'm not really sure what could be improved i don't really like lua and tbh i have not touched code in a while so i don't think i could be of much help.
some ideas
i don't know how lua or for that matter factorio works but if its possible to "keep" the list of recipes in memory(really unsure if it's already doing that or not lol) like in a list so i does not have to check it everytime ( i skimmed the code a bit, at least that's what it looked like it was doing) anyway that would cut back on the number of checks it has to do
one more thing if its possible to not have all the cyberchests do all their logic in one step because i noticed .25-.5 sec pauses when i had 12 of them running not really sure whats causing that but thats on top of the already huge fps loss, maybe that's the only reason it drops can't be sure wish there was a debug option that didn't fill out the whole screen........can't even read the numbers (i wish i could tell you how much but factorio is capped at 60 fps so can't tell how many extra frames i have to work with b4 i drop below 60 fps

again i love the mod i wish i could be more helpful

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

Heres how to improve on the perfomance of the mod:

Code: Select all

game.on_event(defines.events.on_tick, function(event)
	if event.tick % 20 ~= 0 then return end
	--game.players[1].print(#global.cyberchests)

for i,chest in pairs(global.cyberchests) do
		if chest:is_valid() then
			chest:state_execute()
		else	
			chest:destroy_beacon()
			chest = nil
			table.remove(global.cyberchests,i)
		end
	end

for i,player in pairs(game.players) do
		if player.character and player.opened and player.opened.name == 'cyberchest' then
		    thingOpened = cyberchest_get_from_entity(player.opened)
			if thingOpened ~= nil then
			  global.gui.show(i, cyberchest_get_from_entity(player.opened))
			end
		else
			global.gui.hide(i)
		end
	end

end)
Instead of doing it all in one go, you can instead do one cyberchest a tick. So cyberchest 1 is done in tick 1 and 2 in tick 2...
Then of course if there is more cyberchests than there are ticks.(wasnt it 60 per second?)
Then it would do 61 at tick 1, and so on ;)!
So like move the thing you do for the players in its own if statement so stat it is done every 60 tick for example. Whilst keeping the cyberchest stuff in its own.
And i see that it shouldn't be too hard as you already do a for i,chest in pairs(global.cyberchests) do So you can probably do something like:
math.floor((#global.cyberchests /60)+0.5) --This will return how many cycles you will have to do.
Now if you would like to trye this is how i think it should be done ;)!
Going to test it so look forward for an update in a short while.

cycles = math.floor((#global.cyberchests /60)+1.5)
--game.players[1].print(cycles)
  for cycle = 1, cycles do
    if (tickerA+((cycle-1)*60)) <= #global.cyberchests then
	    chest = global.cyberchests[tickerA+((cycle-1)*60)]
		else	
			chest = nil
		end
  end
end
  if tickerA == 60 then
    tickerA = 1
  else
    tickerA = tickerA + 1
  end
		if player.character and player.opened and player.opened.name == 'cyberchest' then
			end
		else
			global.gui.hide(i)
		end
	end
end)
Also remember to add a tickerA = 1 on the top ;)!
edit: I just saw event.tick is actually a number continously increasing :lol: !

Edit2:
I did it :D!
The bottom most code is the working code!
Now all that is neccecary is some more testing to see if there is a good perfomance increase ;)!
Edit3:
and yes the one before is right. This mode is quite heavy on the code side, but this optimization should give a very huge boost. Since your mode was actually doing everything once a tick! Even the things below the event.tick % 20 thing. Which basically all it did was to stop the code 3 out 60 ticks =/

Edit 4:
So enjoy the upto 57 times perfomance increase ^_^!

Edit 5:
Tested with 20 running and experiencing close to no perfomance loss( fps dropping 1-2 frames every now and then, but nothing noticable :D!

Edit 6:
You may have to look into that destroy beacon part of your mod again cause i may have broken it to some degree ((some was left behind) :/
Logo
Noticed the told change in FFF #111 so il continue to use my signature ^_^
Thanks for listening to our suggestions, devs :D!
I would jump of joy if we could specify which tiles spawned in a surfaces

SigmatroN
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by SigmatroN »

Zeeth_Kyrah wrote: This is an awesome mod for space efficiency, and really gives the player options for production. That said, it's really slow if you don't upgrade the chest properly because of timing issues (one recipe change per second, five second wait for materials if out, resets fully each time and won't progress if prior recipes are missing materials). I set one cyberchest to make smart inserters, making each recipe in the production chain one time, and then 50 smart inserters. It was doing okay, but a standard production line might have been faster just because I could get a continuous assembly of materials going. So the best bet is to mass produce each item first, which is counter-intuitive to me. The whole point for me was to use only one cyberchest and one assembling machine for this vital recipe instead of filling up my factory zone with a bunch of stuff for mass production. Maybe upgrading the chest more would be a good thing, I dunno. I'm guessing this would be more useful to me if I had a different attitude toward its use.

One change I'd go with would be if a recipe can't be completed, go back one step in the list of recipes instead of doing a full reset, until it hits the first recipe and has to reset. Test it both ways first, but I believe stepping backward when out of materials will be much more resource efficient at the cost of being somewhat slower. I'd also have each button set a flag so that the machine acts as soon as it reads the flag instead of me having to catch it in a certain part of its cycle to get a quick response (or any, my computer is slow and the cyberchest is slow to respond to its GUI). On top of that, the control GUI should explicitly indicate at all times whether the cyberchest is stopped, paused, or running, as well as showing the process status which you already display. That will help let the user know if the chest is responding to their input.
Last time I checked, switch time was 3 recipes per second. Am I wrong?
Well, why go back one step? To me it seems more likely, that chest will run out of materials for previous recipe, and, anyway, will go all the way to the beginning of the list. So why don't start from there? I guess faster reset could help this problem, maybe. About GUI messages, I agree, but not about buttons.

SigmatroN
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by SigmatroN »

jorgenRe wrote:Heres how to improve on the perfomance of the mod:

--game.players[1].print(#global.cyberchests)

for i,chest in pairs(global.cyberchests) do
		else	
			chest = nil
		end
	end

end
		else
			global.gui.hide(i)
		end
	end

end)
Instead of doing it all in one go, you can instead do one cyberchest a tick. So cyberchest 1 is done in tick 1 and 2 in tick 2...
Then of course if there is more cyberchests than there are ticks.(wasnt it 60 per second?)
Then it would do 61 at tick 1, and so on ;)!
So like move the thing you do for the players in its own if statement so stat it is done every 60 tick for example. Whilst keeping the cyberchest stuff in its own.
And i see that it shouldn't be too hard as you already do a for i,chest in pairs(global.cyberchests) do So you can probably do something like:
math.floor((#global.cyberchests /60)+0.5) --This will return how many cycles you will have to do.
Now if you would like to trye this is how i think it should be done ;)!
Going to test it so look forward for an update in a short while.

cycles = math.floor((#global.cyberchests /60)+1.5)
--game.players[1].print(cycles)
  for cycle = 1, cycles do
    if (tickerA+((cycle-1)*60)) <= #global.cyberchests then
	    chest = global.cyberchests[tickerA+((cycle-1)*60)]
		else	
			chest = nil
		end
  end
end
  if tickerA == 60 then
    tickerA = 1
  else
    tickerA = tickerA + 1
  end
			end
		else
			global.gui.hide(i)
		end
	end
end)
Also remember to add a tickerA = 1 on the top ;)!
edit: I just saw event.tick is actually a number continously increasing :lol: !

Edit2:
I did it :D!
The bottom most code is the working code!
Now all that is neccecary is some more testing to see if there is a good perfomance increase ;)!
Edit3:
and yes the one before is right. This mode is quite heavy on the code side, but this optimization should give a very huge boost. Since your mode was actually doing everything once a tick! Even the things below the event.tick % 20 thing. Which basically all it did was to stop the code 3 out 60 ticks =/

Edit 4:
So enjoy the upto 57 times perfomance increase ^_^!

Edit 5:
Tested with 20 running and experiencing close to no perfomance loss( fps dropping 1-2 frames every now and then, but nothing noticable :D!

Edit 6:
You may have to look into that destroy beacon part of your mod again cause i may have broken it to some degree ((some was left behind) :/
Looks like every chest is processed once every 60 ticks. When I set It back to 20, I hadn't seen much difference (Can you send me your test factory, mine is kinda crap, and I'm lazy to build a new one). Also, I wrote my own code, which also does not make any difference to me. And I didn't experienced any lags in the first place. Sorry, for I can't understand your experiences :) (yet) Here is an experimental version.
Attachments
CyberChest_0.9.2.zip
(157.15 KiB) Downloaded 260 times

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

SigmatroN wrote: Looks like every chest is processed once every 60 ticks. When I set It back to 20, I hadn't seen much difference (Can you send me your test factory, mine is kinda crap, and I'm lazy to build a new one). Also, I wrote my own code, which also does not make any difference to me. And I didn't experienced any lags in the first place. Sorry, for I can't understand your experiences :) (yet) Here is an experimental version.
That seems like fully possible way of doing it ;)!
But as stated before. There is a noticeable drop in FPS when using your mod :/
at the very least now you wont notice it unless you are looking on the FPS counter ^_^!
Logo

Alexs
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Alexs »

Thanks SigmatroN !!!
Your version is much better.

I now have 97 Cyber Chests and had many, many small lags, but in your version 0.9.2 is no longer.
It was a brilliant idea from you - thank you :lol:

EDIT 1:
:o it may be that you can have only 99 cyber-chests? at the 100th no start button more will appear ...

EDIT 2:
..or is after installing the 0.9.2 version, the 2nd new cyber chest no longer be recognized?
- I had 97 cyber chests with the version 0.9.1
- Then the installation of version 0.9.2
- The construction of the number 98 - works just fine ..
- But with the number 99 does not start button GUI more ... :shock: :o :? :(

EDIT 3:
If you have version 0.9.2 installed, but then again returns to Version 0.9.1, you can see the built in version 0.9.2 cyber chest not operate more and also no longer completely dismantle. (Fragment Cyber__beacon_50 (a small red circle) can not be deleted and blocked the square. It can not be rebuilt.)

If I want to continue to build, have a saved game load before version 0.9.2 ...

SigmatroN
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by SigmatroN »

Alexs wrote:Thanks SigmatroN !!!
Your version is much better.

I now have 97 Cyber Chests and had many, many small lags, but in your version 0.9.2 is no longer.
It was a brilliant idea from you - thank you :lol:

EDIT 1:
:o it may be that you can have only 99 cyber-chests? at the 100th no start button more will appear ...

EDIT 2:
..or is after installing the 0.9.2 version, the 2nd new cyber chest no longer be recognized?
- I had 97 cyber chests with the version 0.9.1
- Then the installation of version 0.9.2
- The construction of the number 98 - works just fine ..
- But with the number 99 does not start button GUI more ... :shock: :o :? :(

EDIT 3:
If you have version 0.9.2 installed, but then again returns to Version 0.9.1, you can see the built in version 0.9.2 cyber chest not operate more and also no longer completely dismantle. (Fragment Cyber__beacon_50 (a small red circle) can not be deleted and blocked the square. It can not be rebuilt.)

If I want to continue to build, have a saved game load before version 0.9.2 ...
I've just built a ton of chests (definetely more than 100), but not powered them or anything, and GUI seems to be fine. Did the start button disappear or the whole GUI? Can you send me the save (just attach it to your reply)? It's a known problem to me (EDIT 3). When I tried to start chests from my old save, builded way before (v 9.0), I've had an error "attempt to index global 'glob' (a nil value)" and 'glob' was nowhere to be found in control.lua. It's almost like chests from different versions have their own control.lua.

Alexs
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Alexs »

... Did the start button disappear or the whole GUI? ...

The Start button was there, the GUI no longer.

Now I try a new game and only with the new version.
The old version with 100 cyber Chests jerky very strong.
In the new version that is jerk away - well worth it!

----

Edit 1:
I started a new game.
Factorio Version 0.12.4
Cyber Chest 0.9.2

The first Chest can be programmed and started.
By the second Chest the same problem: I can open the Chest. However, it appears no GUI with the Start Button

My Mods:
mod-list.json
(5.08 KiB) Downloaded 295 times

SigmatroN
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by SigmatroN »

Alexs wrote:... Did the start button disappear or the whole GUI? ...

The Start button was there, the GUI no longer.

Now I try a new game and only with the new version.
The old version with 100 cyber Chests jerky very strong.
In the new version that is jerk away - well worth it!

----

Edit 1:
I started a new game.
Factorio Version 0.12.4
Cyber Chest 0.9.2

The first Chest can be programmed and started.
By the second Chest the same problem: I can open the Chest. However, it appears no GUI with the Start Button

My Mods:
mod-list.json
Are you playing sandbox mode by a chance? I don't recall that there were any compatibility problems, nevertheless did you try it without mods? If you did, and it still does not work, please send me your save, so I can have something to work with.
If anyone else has this problem, please report.

Alexs
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Alexs »

I always play created using own cards with the editor.

It is so that 0.9.1 works without problems, just with pesky LAGs

I'm trying to uninstall mods .. Thank you for your attention

EDIT:
I have all the mods deactivated except: "color-coding_1.0.6".
This mod can not be disabled, otherwise the save can not be loaded.

In the following pictures is only "Cyber Chest 0.9.2" and the mod "color-coding_1.0.6" activated.
Factorio Version: 0.12.4

There are only 2 Cyber Chests in the game, as mentioned, the first produced without any problems, the second can not be started, even if the GUI appears.
Cyber01.jpg
Cyber01.jpg (934.94 KiB) Viewed 6599 times
Cyber02.jpg
Cyber02.jpg (970.35 KiB) Viewed 6599 times
Cyber03.jpg
Cyber03.jpg (964.72 KiB) Viewed 6599 times
Cyber04.jpg
Cyber04.jpg (626.02 KiB) Viewed 6599 times
.. cyber04: another problem...

SigmatroN
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by SigmatroN »

Alexs wrote:I always play created using own cards with the editor.

It is so that 0.9.1 works without problems, just with pesky LAGs

I'm trying to uninstall mods .. Thank you for your attention

EDIT:
I have all the mods deactivated except: "color-coding_1.0.6".
This mod can not be disabled, otherwise the save can not be loaded.

In the following pictures is only "Cyber Chest 0.9.2" and the mod "color-coding_1.0.6" activated.
Factorio Version: 0.12.4

There are only 2 Cyber Chests in the game, as mentioned, the first produced without any problems, the second can not be started, even if the GUI appears.
.. cyber04: another problem...
Well, based on the 4-th screenshot, and the fact that I have no idea how is it possible for the GUI not to display on some chests (I didn't touch that part since .. v 0.5.0, I think), I would say that your game itself might be broken. A mod programmer have no means to force "Recearch" button to disappear. I thought the last factorio version is 12.5, why don't you give it a try? Are any other mods, using GUI, work okay?
P.S.:For large pictures, please use spoilers next time. They help other people to navigate the page more easily, as well as reduce traffic usage.

Alexs
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Alexs »

Version 0.9.2 does not work with other saves.

All other GUIs function properly - except the mod "Time" button ...
But this is why I have deactivated.

Why is there then with the 0.9.1 no problems, except the LAGs?
Therefore, it must are located on the version 0.9.2.

Galactic Trade works actually not with 0.12.5, so the version 0.12.4 ..

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

Can I add that there was some weird things with the GUI after last update :/
Ha to add in a function to create the GUI after placing an object instead of just on load.
Logo

SigmatroN
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by SigmatroN »

Well, there you go. GUI from 9.1. Does it work? Also please unzip the archive so I can be sure the problem is not related to that.
Can I add that there was some weird things with the GUI after last update :/
Ha to add in a function to create the GUI after placing an object instead of just on load.
If you have the same problem can you help me to debug it? I have no clue on why it doesn't work. And I don't have this problem, which doesn't help to debug it.
Attachments
CyberChest_0.9.2.zip
(157.01 KiB) Downloaded 257 times

Alexs
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Alexs »

Yes, the 0.9.1 is running without any problems up to the Lags.

Also when I load an old save, from the version 0.9.2, which does not work, run the 0.9.1 without problems.

If I change in the same save to 0.9.2, I can no longer operate the 2.Chest.
If I then switch to 0.9.1, it goes again ....

--

Now I have as recommended by you completely changed on factorio 0.12.5.
I have installed now Cyber Chest 0.9.2.
We'll see if I have the same problems ... ;)

--- Edit 1

Just try the following:
1 - build Chest 1 :)
2 - factory too
3 - Programming and start Chest 1 :D
4 - build Chest 2 and Factory
5 - Programming Chest 2 and when it comes to start (does not start) :(
6 - Dismantle Chest 2
7 - Chest 2 newly build (now no more GUI) :o

--- Edit 2

I have now installed the version 0.12.6 factorio and tried the Chest 0.9.2.
Now the 2.Chest works.
I watch more and sign up immediately if anything changes.

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

Logo

Darkestnoir
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Darkestnoir »

Not working anymore with 12.13.

cookta2012
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by cookta2012 »

256.611 Info NetworkInputHandler.cpp:570: assigning playerIndex(1) to peer(1)
 256.611 Info GameActionHandler.cpp:1939: MapTick(9284320) processed PlayerJoinGame peerID(1) playerIndex(1) mode(connect)
 320.225 Info MultiplayerManager.cpp:1488: networkTick(17705) mapTick(9287433) peerID(0) fullStateLog: local state(InGame) local peers(((peerID(0) state(InGame) mapAlignTick(-1))
((peerID(1) state(InGame) mapAlignTick(-1))
)

349.648 Error Util.cpp:46: Error while running the event handler: __CyberChest__/script/cyberchest.lua:202: attempt to index local 'self' (a nil value)

350.830 Warning NetworkInputHandler.cpp:723: mapTick(9288944) networkTick(19430) disconnecting from player but already disconnected.
 351.052 Info MultiplayerManager.cpp:129: NetworkTick(19430) disconnecting multiplayer connection.
 351.052 Info NetworkInputHandler.cpp:59: expectedMapTick(9288944) sending PlayerLeaveGame
 351.078 Info MultiplayerManager.cpp:156: NetworkTick(19430) quitting multiplayer connection.
 351.078 Info MultiplayerManager.cpp:865: networkTick(19430) mapTick(-1) changing state from(InGame) to(Disconnected)
 351.162 Info Router.cpp:557: Router peerID(0) shutting down.
 351.163 Info PosixUDPSocket.cpp:128: Socket closed
 351.163 Info Router.cpp:583: Router state -> Disconnected
 351.212 Goodbye

All I did was place a Cyberchest without a assembler next to it and used the gui BOOM crash. But if it saves after i place the Cyberchest and I do not leave and rejoin it wont crash until i pick up the CyberChest and place it back down. I think you got some entity placement issues.

I wish to note im running 12.10 the version directly before the whole api refactor. If you have any questions I do know the people in #factorio on irc.esper.net are really helpful :p
Only say that because as of writing this the api docs are not 100% correct in the wiki.

Return to “Mods”