Splitting oil production.

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Chewbit
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Splitting oil production.

Post by Chewbit »

Hi all,

Is it possible to refine oil in one area then transport (no pipes) heavy/light oils,petroleum gas and lubricant to my base (I`m using Rail_Tanker mod) for production?.

I ask because as you know in a normal set-up production stops if something is not producing. Would their be anyway around this as i don`t want to transport intermediates or finished goods or have to set-up furnaces at the refinery area?. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Splitting oil production.

Post by DaveMcW »

Chewbit wrote:in a normal set-up production stops if something is not producing. Would their be anyway around this
1. Research Fluid Handling and build tanks to store extra oil products, so production never stops.
2. Research Advanced Oil Processing and turn extra oil products into petroleum gas, so production never stops.

Chewbit
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Chewbit »

Sorry, should of put i`m already cracking heavy/light oil and producing batteries/plastics at my temp starting-base for just blue research.

After numerous times of getting up-to the point of wearing power armour 2, iv`e found i`m using the same set-ups without any reason or need for trains (belts/pipes are too convenient), robotics (except for repairing) or leaving my starter base.
So this time i`ve made a lean,tight,unable to expand much starter base with a massive size area connecting twin track railway, with the sole intention of factories only at a main base producing all finished products whilst everything else is done on site, then transported by train.

So back to your post, if i`m understanding your post correct, this means i can split the process...as long as my trains can pull liquids out fast enough and/or have enough empty storage in tanks to keep the refineries running?.
If so, thanks greatly for that...i would never of thought of that, nor thought it was possible.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Chewbit wrote:i`m using the same set-ups without any reason or need for trains (belts/pipes are too convenient)
Sorry, I misunderstood. You're trying to make things harder for yourself, I can't help with that. ;)

Chewbit
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Chewbit »

` touche `. :lol: Thanks for the chuckle.

Chewbit
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Chewbit »

Hi,
That`s one helluva build you have there and the pipework is so damn tidy, mine looks like the London Underground built on the back of a large toad. Clearly your pic has shown me i`ve a long way to go and my 12 tank, 2 of everything else will somehow not cut it in the higher echelon of Factorio.
Now `thats` what i love about this game...thinking i have something sussed then finding out i`m deluded. :o Easy to learn but hard to master.
I`ve learnt the basics so now it`s time to step it up a notch (or 6) and dig deeper into the mechanics of this fantastic game.
Thanks Lee for the pic and it will help `Eventually` and i have managed to split the process but having probs with the railways at the mo and after seeing your pic i just know trains are gonna be a major headache.

Lee_newsum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lee_newsum »

Chewbit wrote:Hi,
That`s one helluva build you have there and the pipework is so damn tidy, mine looks like the London Underground built on the back of a large toad. Clearly your pic has shown me i`ve a long way to go and my 12 tank, 2 of everything else will somehow not cut it in the higher echelon of Factorio.
Now `thats` what i love about this game...thinking i have something sussed then finding out i`m deluded. :o Easy to learn but hard to master.
I`ve learnt the basics so now it`s time to step it up a notch (or 6) and dig deeper into the mechanics of this fantastic game.
Thanks Lee for the pic and it will help `Eventually` and i have managed to split the process but having probs with the railways at the mo and after seeing your pic i just know trains are gonna be a major headache.
this is map you can play https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =36&t=3235

P.S. i useed the ingame map editer to do that ;)

Chewbit
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Chewbit »

Didn`t realize it was a playable map doh, too busy studying pic. I`ve started playing your map and i must say it`s very informative and especially intuitive for the likes of me.
Your oil refinery made me have to think long and hard a few times :lol: to get it up and running and i learnt a lot about prioritisation. I was expecting all tanks to fill simultaneously not just 1 row, even where you put the connection makes a difference to tanks filling up, you cannot learn that from a pic.

I had to use belts running parallel and feeding from the active provider chests rather than the robots as a) i didn`t notice the roboports in the chest and b) i don`t know much about production using robots about which i will learn shortly. Have setup red/green science production and started on blues, though i have advanced refinery researched and working.

The biters arn`t a problem as i have cheated and used consul commands (including the evolution commands). Taken down a few biter nests with the shotgun though and ...it`s a waste of time because they`ve respawned back. Don`t fancy building a railway around all them biter nests lol.

On that note i`m going to refrain from posting on this thread.I`ve learnt what i needed and a helluva lot more in the process and...i have a habit of rabbiting on. So thanks guys and i hope other people give your map a try out because just maybe they will learn something and in the process keep you guys posting some great maps.

Lee_newsum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lee_newsum »

add do map and picks to my post of my map. https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 249#p85249

Return to “Gameplay Help”