[MOD 0.11.x] PvP with craftable Biters

Topics and discussion about specific mods
FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

[MOD 0.11.x] PvP with craftable Biters

Post by FishSandwich »

******OUTDATED******

Since this MOD has been highly requested, I decided to release it publicly.

This MOD allows PvP gameplay, by placing players on separate teams. It also allows you to craft and spawn Biters/Spitters/Spawners/Worms to use against eachother. :)

How to use:
Every second player to join the map will be placed on the enemy team, so you must decide teams in advance and join the map accordingly.
Player 1, 3, 5 etc to join the map will be placed on player team.
Player 2, 4, 6 etc to join the map will be placed on enemy team.

Generate a map, and move in teams away from the starting area to find a good starting position(or create a scenario with good resources away from the starting area, and use that).
(when generating map, turn enemy bases size to None.)

Known problems:
All research is unlocked automatically when you join the map. (if you don't want this, you can edit out the line in control.lua)
Spitters and Spitter Spawners do not have their own icon, so they use Biters and Biter Spawner icons in the crafting menu.
Biters and Spitters can be thrown onto water. This is either a problem or a strategy, depending on your views. :)
Biters/Spitters/Spawners/Worms on the player team do not show on the map.
Your own Biters and Spitters will attack you if you shoot them.
Placing biter/spitter spawners sometimes causes desync.

What I would like to see:
If you change the MOD in any way(more efficient code, better balancing etc) please keep the original info.json intact.
If you create some nice scenario maps, please post them here so others can also use them. :)
CHANGELIST

Maps: (Have a good map? Post it here and I'll add it to this post. :))

Credit:
To L0771 for helping me make the craftable items. :)
To FreeER for making(and remaking many times) the code for putting players on separate teams. :)
To Sigmatron for making the code that has biters attacking buildings and following player. :)
To Klonan for the scoring system. :)

Disclaimer: This MOD will be useless when 0.12 is released, where separate teams/research/etc will be implemented into the vanilla game(according to this post by kovarex.)

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.11.13] PvP with craftable Biters

Post by -root »

Brilliant mod!

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Very exited to try this out!

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

FishSandwich wrote:To FreeER for making(and remaking many times) the code for putting players on separate teams. :)
You know, after seeing this released I decided to see what I could do to make it a bit more useful post 0.12... I haven't been able to actually test this in MP myself but I did test it locally (just me), no GUI stuff since I wasn't sure if there were any MP issues with GUIs (also, I'm no expert with GUIs :lol:), ANYWAYS, what'd I do right? Essentially I added some code so that you could have named teams (also the setTeam call means that you don't have to join in any certain order now), funny how such a simple thing made it about 5x longer :lol: Since no GUI code it's controlled via a remote interface (aka /c commands):
  • remote.call("PvP", "setTeam", "nickname", _team_) : _team_ is either a force from game.forces OR, after teams are setup, the name of the team (in quotes)
  • remote.call("PvP", "setupTeams", {teamName=_force_, teamName2=_force_, ...}) : _force_ is a force from game.forces
  • remote.call("PvP", "printTeams") -- prints all the players and the team they are on
  • remote.call("PvP", "printTeamsList") -- prints all the team names and the name of the associated force (just 'player' or 'enemy' currently)
  • remote.call("PvP", "checkTeam", "nickname") -- prints the team that player is on
edit: figured out locales due to this line in the 11.0 release post (and looking at examples in base game)
kovarex wrote:Function gettext was removed completely, localised strings are now specified by the curly-brackets {"key", {"key-parameter"}, "literal parameter", 7}
Download (full zip now since it has the script-locale folder, edit: Jan. 31 fixed that the line to enable all techs in onplayercreated had gotten deleted, dropbox should be updated by the time anyone reads this)
pre-locales
So, is this the most useful thing? Probably not, but hopefully it'll get a few more people thinking about expanding the mod :D It should be pretty easy for someone with a bit of Lua/Factorio experience to add a team death counter or something...

Piranha
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Piranha »

If I knew how to code at all I would totally hop on board with helping as much as I could.. unfortunately I do not..

With that being said I think this is a great Mod idea and I only wished it came out sooner. I'll be busy this weekend (B-day tomorrow) but I'm sure I'll wrangle up some friends to give this a play next week/weekend and let you guys know how I feel about it :)

..and for the death counter, could you not just put in some sort of script that would be like:
-if- teamplayer dies -then- add.teamplayer.death.counter = X+1
-if- teamenemy dies -then- add.teamenemy.death.counter = X+1

also if there is a function to display text on screen (other than chat) could you not just have something to display lock [teamplayer.death.count / teamenemy.death.count] at the top middle of the screen?

[again remember I don't know much about lua/factorio scripting]

Lastly, if anyone knows of useful sites or where to go to learn lua/factorio scripting please PM me the links/info I have a lot of free time at work that is mostly used to watch youtube videos or look up random information on things I like/ want to build in my free time. I have had the idea of attempting to learn how to code for factorio but have always fallen short of how integrating it works. I'm not looking for someone to hold my hand step by step but just give me guidance and point me in the right direction, thanks.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.11.x] PvP with craftable Biters

Post by FishSandwich »

Well, here's a nice map I created for use with this MOD. :)

http://i.imgur.com/WhvM2Kn.png
Note: The screenshot was taken in the map editor, which can zoom out further than the normal game, so the map looks a lot smaller than it actually is. The map dimensions are H250, W500.

This map would suit both 1vs1 and 2vs2 games. Everyone will start with no items, but there is a steel chest with starter items inside that you should share with your team.

Each ore patch has between 5mil - 10mil ore inside. There are four total crude oil spots with 1000%
TIP
Map:
CHANGELIST
PvP_ChokePoint.zip
To use:
Extract the zip to the scenarios folder.
Start Factorio and choose Play -> Custom Scenario -> PvP_ChokePoint -> Create
When it loads, save the game and exit.
Load the saved game in multiplayer.
Player team goes left, enemy team goes right.
Enjoy. :)

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Hey thanks for updating so quickly, the new armours are really nice!

SigmatroN
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by SigmatroN »

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

SigmatroN wrote:New PvP map: The Quest
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =36&t=9872
Added to OP.

prawda
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by prawda »

This sounds all very nice, but how can someone with 0.12 play PVP with craftable biters?

Or alternatively, where can someone download this mod, if one is willing to downgrade to 0.11?

pickardjoe
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by pickardjoe »

@FishSandwich Would it be okay if I updated this mod, and put the source on GitHub?

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

pickardjoe wrote:@FishSandwich Would it be okay if I updated this mod, and put the source on GitHub?
Yes.

jesu
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by jesu »

Dude make plz mod that allows tems and own researchs so you can play like own ways with friends and own bases so researchs plz
They only own researchs

Fohley
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Fohley »

Hey Guys, iam rather new on the forums here but me and some pals want to compete about the crown "Most badass noob" - so i need some Information if this mod here could still be used with the 12.XX Versions?

Or how you guys play PVP - just with turrets looks like a "neverending" Story.

BTW: We play with 4 players, if its important for an answer.

Sorry for the rough english

With best regards

Fohley

Xipheas
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Xipheas »

Any news on the update?

Return to “Mods”