[MOD 0.10.12] Automatic Rail Laying Machine

Topics and discussion about specific mods
puddlejumper
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[MOD 0.10.12] Automatic Rail Laying Machine

Post by puddlejumper »

This mod was made by kolli. https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=4287
This patch has not been endorsed by kolli in any way. He hasn't replied to my PM (yet).

It wasn't working in Factorio 0.10.12 so I fixed it and attempted to balance it.
Compared to the Locomotive:
2x weight
1/2 speed, also makes it easier to lay rails more precisely
400 HP instead of 1000

I also changed the recipe to:
25 engine units
10 electronic circuits
2 advanced circuits
20 iron gears
20 steel plates

since this is after all a very powerful and complex machine

Download:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
after selecting the version the download button is at the top in the middle
Last edited by puddlejumper on Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [MOD 0.10.12] Automatic Rail Laying Machine

Post by ssilk »

Have you asked koli before you overtake his mod?
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

cartmen180
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cartmen180 »

I would give it a try if it wasn't for this adfly link..
Check out my mods

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Yes. I know, this is eventually an misunderstanding, or just thinking too short, but for me this has a smell... and this is also as moderator speaking, sorry...

puddlejumper
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by puddlejumper »

ssilk wrote:Yes. I know, this is eventually an misunderstanding, or just thinking too short, but for me this has a smell... and this is also as moderator speaking, sorry...
I would but I can't PM yet. He also hasn't been on the forum in over a month. It's also not so much taking over as it is adopting it after he abandoned it on the side of the road, broken.

This must be the sort of cold skepticism you hear people talking about that newcomers get on forums. What a surprise this is actually the first forum I've actually joined.

I placed my fix where I thought people would benefit most from it (rather than on page 8 of the original thread). After all I did decide to share my efforts to make this mod useful in the latest version so that others may benefit. I just assumed 10 cents per 130 downloads (from ads) was reasonable compensation for a couple hours of bug fixing (not to mention learning lua specifics and Factorio scripting) rather than letting the mod die out and fade away because most people aren't going to take that time to fix something that alleviates the minor inconvenience of manually laying track.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

puddlejumper wrote:<posturing and possible trolling snipped>
It's clearly an attempt to take over, as the title is identical.
The fix would have been better received had it been posted as a patch in the original thread, as _Nevar_ had done.
If you're programming/fixing mods and expecting to be paid, well, I got some bad news for you. . .

That being said, you've just judged the entire community on the response of one person.
This community's response is one of the nicer ones you would get anywhere that isn't censored.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

@Puddlejumper:

Don't misunderstand me. I thought a bit and I think my problem as moderator here is, that I don't know what to do with this. ;)

The main problem is the unclear copyright of the orig-mod you're using and the second is, that it looks eventually as it is your mod (which is nearly the same). The new thread with the same name for this made everything so unclear. As n9103 said, this could be seen as takeover. Well, I assume the best intentions, but - let me say this clear, I cannot leave it, like it is now.

Because when I think about it more, I can see, that this doing is eventually (!) my problem. And I want to avoid to have problems. :)

How can we solve that?

- The easiest way is to ask the author, Kolli, if this is ok. If he says yes, okidoki fine. :)
- Another way would be to ignore it, and when Kolli comes again and sees all and asks me to delete all, I need to follow his wish. I think I cannot do this (ignoring), cause I know too much about someone else overtook my written software. It is a really bad feeling.
- Some way would be to say, this is a total rewrite and a new mod, with new name and not just a new version. But because of the missing copyright notes in the original this is very difficult.
- We can use github for that. (I put the known repositories there https://github.com/alexaulbach/FactorioRailLayerMod ). Nothing would speak against putting your changes there, the version history makes the changes and authors quite clear. I can help with github, if wanted.
- The ugliest way would be to delete this post. But this would make me very unhappy, cause I love this mod.

So anywhere between these actions I need to do anything, but I'm too tired to decide hat now. :/

I hope you understand my problem and try to help me fixing it. :)

puddlejumper
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by puddlejumper »

ssilk wrote: I hope you understand my problem and try to help me fixing it. :)
I do. I apologize for my snide response, I was very tired... and apparently a bit grouchy.

I was originally planning on giving kolli my fix but then realized it probably wouldn't see the any use in a timely manner.

I'm going to work on a complete rewrite. Shouldn't take too long, it is a simple mod, and having been through his code I can see many places for improvements.

cartmen180
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cartmen180 »

puddlejumper wrote:
ssilk wrote:Yes. I know, this is eventually an misunderstanding, or just thinking too short, but for me this has a smell... and this is also as moderator speaking, sorry...
I placed my fix where I thought people would benefit most from it (rather than on page 8 of the original thread). After all I did decide to share my efforts to make this mod useful in the latest version so that others may benefit. I just assumed 10 cents per 130 downloads (from ads) was reasonable compensation for a couple hours of bug fixing (not to mention learning lua specifics and Factorio scripting) rather than letting the mod die out and fade away because most people aren't going to take that time to fix something that alleviates the minor inconvenience of manually laying track.
The problem i am having is that you are demanding compensation by only putting up an adfly link. Look at other modders, if they even post an adfly link it is always together with a direct download link. If you had done this, there wouldn't have been much of a problem, but you as a newcomer decided to demand compensation with, frankly, nothing to show for it.
Check out my mods

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Now now. I think that's going a bit far. He patched some bugs, and looks to me he inspired a couple of upcoming features in _Nevar_'s version.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

puddlejumper
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by puddlejumper »

n9103 wrote:Now now. I think that's going a bit far. He patched some bugs, and looks to me he inspired a couple of upcoming features in _Nevar_'s version.
_Nevar_ was first but I was unaware of his efforts when I posted this.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

@All: Nice. You see the problem with this. :)

This is a perfect example that software-stuff gets quite difficult, if it don't has any licence. Someone could have the best intentions, but when the law is against that, it becomes a problem.

So I hope, that puddlejumper makes the mentioned new mod and I decide to integrate this thread into the originating thread within next week.

EDIT: I won't bother any more, but I make a second recommendation to puddlejumper (and others, which are thinking about making an own mod) to the other possibility: make a corporate mod-development (see https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =80#p48615 ). I recommend it, because I can quite surely say (from may daily work and others telling): The best software is made in teams.

With github it is quite easy to fork and reintegrate.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

He means cooperative, I'm sure.
Pretty sure we'd do our best to lynch someone that came in, stole a mod, and then made a company based around it :lol:

Return to “Mods”