[0.10.0] Square Stack Sizes, return to the powers of two.

Topics and discussion about specific mods

Binary based or Decimal stacks?

I prefer powers of 2, but don't care enough to mod out the change.
21%
I prefer powers of 2, and care enough to use a mod to get it.
26%
I prefer powers of 10, but don't care if they change back.
13%
I prefer powers of 10, and love the new stack sizes.
39%

Total votes: 61

Prezombie
Inserter
Inserter

[0.10.0] Square Stack Sizes, return to the powers of two.

Post by Prezombie »

For those who dislike the new version's stack sizes, I'd like to present my small contribution.

The name is a little misleading. All stack sizes have been set to a number equal to a power of two. Yeah, I know 2^(2n+1) isn't a square number.

If I did it all correctly, all stack sizes have been returned to 0.9.8 stack sizes, with the following exceptions.

All guns except submachine gun had a stack size of 4. Submachine gun had a stack size of 1. I made that group consistent.

Ammo which had a stack size of 100 before has been changed to 128.

Ammo which had a magazine size of 10 (normal, piercing, and shotgun ammo) has been upped to 16, and a magazine size of 100 (flame thrower) has been upped to 128.

Please note, I have not changed ammo DPS, merely improved how long the ammo lasts.

Beside that, I made two other relatively minor modifications which I believe fit the spirit of the mod:

Inserter stack size boost has been buffed, in that each level is twice as powerful as the last. Inserter bonus 1 makes the inserter move 2 at once. Inserter bonus 2 makes the inserter move 4 at once. Inserter bonus 3 makes the inserter move 8 at once. Inserter bonus 4 makes the inserter move 16 at once.

Cargo Wagons now have 80 inventory slots, the same as a car.
when they only have 15 slots, less than a wooden chest by one, they cause endless debate on if they're actually worth using. With 2-4 inserter stack size boosts, the cargo wagons are now king.

Square Stack Sizes Download

Please share if you find a stack I missed. I considered going after the tech tree requirements, but don't really feel the need for the powers of two there.
If you'd prefer a "purist" mod without the edits to the ammo, inserter stack sizes, and cargo wagons, give me a shout.

As for the requester chest UI using powers of ten, I'm a noob and stuck on how to fix that.

Bolland
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [0.10.0] Square Stack Sizes, return to the powers of two

Post by Bolland »

Cool mod, much appreciated. As a programmer, I just prefer powers of 2.

I tried improving it so that it is easier to update in the future, but I'm having no luck (first try modding). I gleaned this method from another mod and though it would do the trick, but the stack sizes stay the same. I am sure I'm getting the right property (stacksize) and I can print it out ingame, but the modification silently fails or gets overwritten.

I guess I'll have to stick with your mod before I figure it out.

Disregard the numbers, It's just proof of concept on 0.9.8 to see if it would work before updating.
data.lua:

Code: Select all

for index, item in pairs (data.raw) do
	if item.stacksize == 32 then
		item.stacksize = 30
	elseif item.stacksize == 64 then
		item.stacksize = 60
	elseif item.stacksize == 128 then
		item.stacksize = 100
	elseif item.stacksize == 256 then 
		item.stacksize = 200
	end
end

torham
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by torham »

Fair enough. I just hope that you will make a reverse mod, If you convince the devs to change back to the original stacks... I really like the new stacks.

starxplor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starxplor »

I have been living in the world of powers of two since way back when we had races at the whiteboard to complete math problems using base-2 numbers instead of base-10. It just makes so much more sense to me.

I havent downloaded 0.10 yet, but got the mod for when I do. I dont suppose it works with 0.9.8 for the inserter bonus mod?

Thanks for this mod!!!

naryl
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by naryl »

I have a few suggestions.
1. You should make inserter stack bonus researches cost more. I think having a stack of 4 with your mod shouldn't be too much cheaper than having a stack of 4 in vanilla. Higher stack sizes should be even more costly to research.
2. The main issue with powers of 2 stack sizes was the logistics system. Is there a way to change it too with a mod so you can request for 2^A for any A from 0 to e.g. 10?
3. As already mentioned. Would be great to make it "just work" with future updates and other mods by modifying stack sizes to the nearest power of two.

ShivaFang
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ShivaFang »

Minor nitpick - The new stack sizes aren't powers of 10. Not really. 50 is a multiple of 10, not a power of (10, 100 and 1000 are powers of 10)

I mostly dislike the multiples of 10 change EXCEPT where it comes to barrels. I find 10s of barrels much easier to work with than 8s for some reason.

While you are at it - can you change the logistics drone slider to be powers of 2? it's messy requesting '300' iron when I really want 3 stacks (384). I suspect this slider was the reason it was changed to multiples of 10 - so that the slider made sense with the stack sizes.

Return to “Mods”