Modular Extensible PnP Factory

Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
- Defense: killing biters as an art
- Castles, Throne Rooms, Decorations (comfortable living in the Factorio World)
- Main Bus Concepts
- Modular Systems, Factory Streets, show how all works together
- Megabases
Please provide us with blueprints or saves, if that makes sense of course.
Forum rules
Clever and beautiful constructions, bigger than two chunks
dee-
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Modular Extensible PnP Factory

Post by dee- » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:09 pm

S_K_Tiger wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:38 pm
I have been enjoying the modular design, and have been using bp's from these posts, since I started playing.
I decided to use the new features to put some of the ones from these together in one blueprint book.
The idea is that this blueprint book will continue to be updated with improvements, additions, updates and the likes.
I'm happy to hear it gave you some enjoyment :)

As the blueprints are from the 0.12.x-aera, many things have changed, e.g. the ranges of the underground belts or some of the recipes, which throws the balancing of the producing facilities off.
Thus the 3.1 rack rules could be adjusted to incorporate the new range of the blue underground belt, etc.
I wonder if the potentially upcoing changes to the fluid system could make a pumping rack necessary. Exciting times...

For me it's nice to hear the philosophy of the PnP factory still lives on even after all this time and there are still people out there that find it useful and enjoying :happy: :D

Sargas
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Sargas » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:16 pm

Hello,

I'm looking for an easy scalable layout for my factory and found this interesting layout philosophy. But I'm not sure if I understand it correctly. How can I increase the production quantity without many conversions? If I add copies of a production site horizontally to the original production site, at some point I won't have room for belts to supply them with resources. Above or below the current rack, I can't add new racks without tearing down the racks of other products.

Or do I have a thinking error?

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Sargas

dee-
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dee- » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:14 pm

Sargas wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:16 pm
Hello,

I'm looking for an easy scalable layout for my factory and found this interesting layout philosophy. But I'm not sure if I understand it correctly. How can I increase the production quantity without many conversions? If I add copies of a production site horizontally to the original production site, at some point I won't have room for belts to supply them with resources. Above or below the current rack, I can't add new racks without tearing down the racks of other products.

Or do I have a thinking error?

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Sargas
Hi Sargas,

if I understood you correctly:

you have the main bus running north-south (vertical) and branch off your production racks west-east (horizontal), then, yes, after you have added more and more production elements to your rack (expanding horizontally), the belts of the rack will trickle off as they are usually of a lower bandwidth than the main bus:

Code: Select all

|
 |
 +-#-# rack with two production elements
 |
 |
bus
becomes:

|
 |
 +-#-#-#-#-# rack with five production elements, the belts in this rack begin to trickle
 |
 |
bus

In this case you simply add another rack of the same type later on in the bus and expand this again:

|
 |
 +-#-#-#-#-# rack with five production elements, the belts in this rack begin to trickle
 |
 |
bus
becomes:

|
 |
 +-#-#-#     another rack with three production elements
 |
 |
bus

The racks themselves have no specific position on the bus and you can add them anywhere along it:

|
 |
 +-A-A-A
 +-B
 |
 |
bus
is the same as:

|
 +-B
 |
 |
 +-A-A-A
 |
bus

If you want to have the same type of rack in one place you can copy-and-paste your racks around and have the construction robots do the work for you.
As all racks ave the same height and th same "interface" to the bus, they are swappable with each other rack.

If you are very dynamic with your racks or want to expand production later, you can always add "do nothing" racks on the bus which simply forward the items on the belts and the fluids in the pipes and reserve this rack for a later replacement with productive racks:

Hoped to help!

Sargas
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Sargas » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:25 pm

Hello dee,

thank you for your answer. Now I know that I understood your philosophy correctly :)

I think I will use placeholder racks for later expansions and / or make the height of the racks bigger so that I have more space for additional belts with incoming resources and outgoing products.

But first I have to define a goal for my factory, otherwise I can't calculate and plan the main bus :D

Return to “Medium/Big/Gigantic Sized Structures”