Version 0.18.14

Information about releases and roadmap.
FactorioBot
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Version 0.18.14

Post by FactorioBot »

Gui
  • The production statistics and electric network GUIs now have a new look.
  • The kills GUI (K keyboard shortcut) has been removed. Kills statistics are now accessible as a tab in the production statistics GUI.
Bugfixes
  • Fixed an issue with nested items in items. (82280)
  • Fixed Character GUI missing logistics tab due to missing technology migration. (82445)
  • Fixed Character GUI recipes constantly scrolling up when crafting or when inventory changes. (82438)
  • Fixed that simple mouse click on double slider button would not set a slider as active. (82454)
  • Fixed that tabbing out of empty high value textfield of double slider would reset it to 0. (82454)
Scripting
  • Removed the defines.gui_type.kills value from defines.gui_type.
Use the automatic updater if you can (check experimental updates in other settings) or download full installation at http://www.factorio.com/download/experimental.

malventano
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Version 0.18.14

Post by malventano »

I know the character GUI was revised in 18.13, but I'm just checking it out now on 18.14 and something seemed backwards. I recall the initial design being shown in one FFF, and feedback suggested that the less frequently used Character tab be on the far right. This feedback appeared to have been accepted when it was shown in FFF 289, but now we have the character tab in the middle, where folks would much more frequently be using the logistics tab.

...so where the plan was to do:
Crafting / Logistics / Character
...we now have:
Crafting / Character / Logistics

The latter doesn't seem to flow well compared to what appeared to have already been addressed from prior feedback, no? Quoting the FFF: "These are basically the leftovers of what the character might need to access/configure.", so why are 'the leftovers' sitting on in the middle position?
Allyn Malventano
---
Want to improve fluid flow between pumps / across longer distances? Try my Manifolds mod.

vdreams
Inserter
Inserter

Post by vdreams »

Very nice update. Production screen look very good!

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

malventano wrote: ↑
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:02 pm
The latter doesn't seem to flow well compared to what appeared to have already been addressed from prior feedback, no? Quoting the FFF: "These are basically the leftovers of what the character might need to access/configure.", so why are 'the leftovers' sitting on in the middle position?
The reason for that is to keep consistency with keybindings. It's really unintuitive when the second tab is mapped to F3, and F2 does nothing(before researching logistics.).
There's no real reason to keep them in order of "importance".

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

Twinsen wrote: ↑
Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:12 pm
The reason for that is to keep consistency with keybindings. It's really unintuitive when the second tab is mapped to F3, and F2 does nothing(before researching logistics.).
Keybindings? Nice! Was not aware of them. Makes navigation easier :D
Did not see this in the changelogs, but was kinda obvious that there would be keybindings for them …

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

I love the recent updates more and more...
Really nice polishing!

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

I cannot import BP files anymore as the dedicated tabs / buttons are missing

malventano
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by malventano »

valneq wrote: ↑
Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:25 pm
Did not see this in the changelogs, but was kinda obvious that there would be keybindings for them …
This was my point actually - I'd guess that many players are mouse clicking and not using the key bindings, and when using the mouse it seems you'd constantly have to move past the rarely-used character tab every time you were going for the logistics tab. For those using the bindings, the (positional) order of them would matter less than those using the mouse.
The reason is for those using the mouse and not the hotkeys.
Allyn Malventano
---
Want to improve fluid flow between pumps / across longer distances? Try my Manifolds mod.

picklock
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by picklock »

brunzenstein wrote: ↑
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:03 pm
You can import BP strings using "Import string" from the shortcut bar. But I would prefer the Imput string button back in the BP GUI.
My Mods: Picklocks Fusion Power | Picklocks Inserter | Picklocks Lithium Polymer Accumulator | Picklocks rocket silo stats | Picklocks Set Inventory Filters

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

picklock wrote: ↑
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:37 pm
You can import BP strings using "Import string" from the shortcut bar. But I would prefer the Imput string button back in the BP GUI.
thanks - the bug was on me - I found that in my my settings to the shortcut bar the import was off

Illiou
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Illiou »

Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:14 pm
valneq wrote: ↑
Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:25 pm
This was my point actually - I'd guess that many players are mouse clicking and not using the key bindings, and when using the mouse it seems you'd constantly have to move past the rarely-used character tab every time you were going for the logistics tab. For those using the bindings, the (positional) order of them would matter less than those using the mouse.
That would only be true if you were to repeatedly switch between the two tabs. Otherwise you would click the tab, then move your mouse elsewhere to do something and only later potentially move back to the other tab; in which case you would move from a random position below the tabs, meaning there is literally to difference. That's why there is no reason to order them by importance.
This order also makes more sense because the Character tab is there from the start but Logistics is only added later. Which means the Character tab changes position, which would likely harm usability much more than a different-than-preferred order could.

malventano
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by malventano »

Illiou wrote: ↑
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:23 pm
This order also makes more sense because the Character tab is there from the start but Logistics is only added later. Which means the Character tab changes position, which would likely harm usability much more than a different-than-preferred order could.
Yeah, the progression aspect, combined with the hotkeys lining up with that progression, makes for a valid argument, but I still argue that mouse movements (that typically originate from screen center while playing) will constantly have to skip over the character tab as the player more frequently goes for the logistics tab.
Allyn Malventano
---

DBotThePony
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DBotThePony »

Still no power consumption in joules over time, i am dissapoint.

Itemfinder
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Itemfinder »

Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:57 pm
thanks - the bug was on me - I found that in my my settings to the shortcut bar the import was off
I too would like the import string button back in the Blueprint menu, OR a dedicated keybind, like the rest of the blueprint library functions. The most utility I've found in the shortcut bar is checking combination keybindings, because they are more efficient to deploy. Edit: And monitoring the status of Personal Roboports/Exoskeletons which I've just recognized the utility of..
Last edited by Itemfinder on Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Itemfinder
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Itemfinder »

Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:02 pm
I know the character GUI was revised in 18.13, but I'm just checking it out now on 18.14 and something seemed backwards. I recall the initial design being shown in one FFF, and feedback suggested that the less frequently used Character tab be on the far right. This feedback appeared to have been accepted when it was shown in FFF 289, but now we have the character tab in the middle, where folks would much more frequently be using the logistics tab.

...so where the plan was to do:
Crafting / Logistics / Character
...we now have:
Crafting / Character / Logistics

+1

Itemfinder
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Itemfinder »

The new statistics pages are as busy as the new characater GUI. Bloated too. What was a 7.5 page list of items is now 11. :?:

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

Itemfinder wrote: ↑
Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:58 am
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:57 pm
I too would like the import string button back in the Blueprint menu, OR a dedicated keybind, like the rest of the blueprint library functions. The most utility I've found in the shortcut bar is checking combination keybindings, because they are more efficient to deploy. Edit: And monitoring the status of Personal Roboports/Exoskeletons which I've just recognized the utility of..
After using the new mechanics a few times I / one gets used to.
I was initially very sceptic but now I love it.

Dev-iL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dev-iL »

What's stopping you from changing the definition of the keybindings to "1st character-gui tab" "2nd tab" etc.? This way, the binding will automatically open the correct tab (which happens to be different during the course of the game), and you can provide forward compatibility for many more tabs if e.g. added by mods.
Leading Hebrew translator of Factorio.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Dev-iL wrote: ↑
Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:31 am
What's stopping you from changing the definition of the keybindings to "1st character-gui tab" "2nd tab" etc.? This way, the binding will automatically open the correct tab (which happens to be different during the course of the game), and you can provide forward compatibility for many more tabs if e.g. added by mods.
Oh, the binding is global ... as in it opens character GUI on that tab so changing what F2 will open depending on what technology is researched is kind of bad.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

DBotThePony wrote: ↑
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:19 am
joules over time
Also known as "watts". :roll:

Return to β€œReleases”