Just bought the game; What were Your first impressions?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
g-box
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Just bought the game; What were Your first impressions?

Post by g-box »

My first impression was heading into a 4 night cabin trip with my brother where we take our PC's in case it rains and sometimes it rains a lot. We made sure Factorio would work over lan(no internet in the forest) and had figured out the very basics prior to this trip. It worked nicely. It worked very nicely. I have no idea what the weather was like for that first trip... and a number of trips since. Now, I host a server game for us and when we do another trip, it gets saved and loaded onto my system... in case it rains. My total time played on steam should probably be double what it says.

In that first game playing multi, my brother just naturally slid into the role of defensive coordinator... and offensive coordinator to collect purple fluff, research director and power management while I increased iron ore production and developed the manufacturing systems and increased iron ore production. Such a fantastic game that has come a long way and has always seemed to head in the right direction. Seriously, beautiful work.

LuckyLuke
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by LuckyLuke »

Short story: Awesome!

Long story: I saw the game featured by steam when i decided to take a closer look. The Pictures and Trailer that have been on the steampage gave me a pretty good feeling, so I bought and installed it quickly, opened a new map and started looking around the ui. I started chooping trees and gathered some stone. A Furnance was build and i got a simple production line setup. I guess that was the moment i realised that Factorio is the game i was looking for a long time. It is so satisfing to see the items being transported on a belt and becoming more and more complex products. Thinking about how to improve a current setup or how to update and older part of the factory - it is just amazing. :mrgreen:

zhorgal
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by zhorgal »

Do you know that nagging feeling: Was this a good idea or not?

+ It's a wonderful game, right up my alley, I see myself playing for hundreds of hours. Probably one of the best ones ever.
- It will be extremely distracting and it's siren call will seduce me and prevent me from my worldly duties (work, family, etc).

leo_battle
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by leo_battle »

I just bought the game. It is very good :). I find automatic train schedules a bit confusing though.

applebaps
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by applebaps »

I got hooked in by the trailer (this one). My first impression of the game was in the campaign, and I was intrigued but a little underwhelmed at how limited and small everything felt, in stark contrast to the trailer. As soon as I jumped into a freeplay map, though, that disappointment faded into awe. Having the freedom to just dive in and figure things out on my own threw open the doors. I was hooked within an hour or so. Started eyeballing the tech tree like "hmmmmmmm," wondering about all the possibilities.

Jeeto
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Jeeto »

My wife hates the game because I just bought it and am spending hours every couple days when I can and lose track of time, my cup of coffee next to me goes cold, the laundry sits in the washing machine and doesn't get switched to the dryer... it's like this game was designed specifically to mess with my OCD enough to where I can't even get up to use the restroom (AND IT'S SINGLE PLAYER SO I CAN PAUSE OR SAVE AT ANY TIME AND I STILL CANT!)

KushHunter
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by KushHunter »

My first impression was: "Why did you don't bought the Game when you discovered it 2 years ago...." In my first Session I played it with a friend and he was teaching me what can I do in the Game. I was impressed how complex this Game is.
I was absolutly fascinated. I named my first procession line: "Pice of Shit". Because it was so confusing to understand the Work-Steps :D But I was proud that I made it.

Absolutly fantastic Game !
Sorry my english is not so good. If you don't understand something, just ask. :)

DragonWhisperer
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by DragonWhisperer »

Does being 60h in count as 'First impressions'?

A few weeks ago I was contenplating getting it after playing the tutorial, already being enthralled by it. I had a sneaking suspicion that this game would draw me in unlike any other game had in last couple of years.

It did...

Now I need to find balance between sleep, family and work again. All spare free time goes to Factorio...

methwindles
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by methwindles »

Factorio seems to be a never-ending well of RTS-inspired factory factorization. Thank you devs for working so hard. It’s kind of wild how such a complex concept was implemented in a way that still retains simplicity while staying being in what it wants to be. Kind of like a 12 year old middle-schooler’s daydream, actualized. Keep up the good work. :D

Oh and the staff totally went overboard with implementing multiplayer. Hell yeah. Must have hurt.

SuperSandro2000
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SuperSandro2000 »

It is everything I love about Modded Minecraft and not everything I hate.

catma
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by catma »

The "pick up" shortcut and the "increase area when placing concrete" controls need to be pointed out!!!! 5%-8% extra tedious time on my first playthru spent doing that because I didn't knew these EXISTED!!!

P.S.: reason I got my brothers to play again: showed them these 2 CRITICAL controls.

dog80
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dog80 »

catma wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:49 am
The "pick up" shortcut and the "increase area when placing concrete" controls need to be pointed out!!!! 5%-8% extra tedious time on my first playthru spent doing that because I didn't knew these EXISTED!!!

P.S.: reason I got my brothers to play again: showed them these 2 CRITICAL controls.
you could have read through the key-commands - ofcourse a lot of ui changes and usability improvements are available but idk your posts seem a bit hysterical tbh

catma
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by catma »

dog80 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:42 am
catma wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:49 am

you could have read through the key-commands - ofcourse a lot of ui changes and usability improvements are available but idk your posts seem a bit hysterical tbh
I would expect the tutorial to point these out. I hope the new tutorial does.

CJ5Boss
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by CJ5Boss »

bigyihsuan wrote:
Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:32 am
My first impression is that I need to rebind the controls to something more like Minecraft. I keep right clicking to go into the machine GUIs.... :P
First impressions on controls, great. Never played minecraft much so it seemed perfect and natural to me, still does.
First impression? "This is what I have been missing all these years!"

altrik
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by altrik »

The first time i saw the game in a video and i was very impressed
I liked the mechanics and downloaded the game soon (it was the 0.11.22 version) (sorry for pirating)
And after 2 years of playing i decided to give thanks to the developers and bought the game on steam
And now im playing Factorio and waiting for the 0.17 update

Aphelius
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Aphelius »

My first impression was: f*ck, it's sunrise already, did I really play 8 hours straight?

leglessgoanna
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by leglessgoanna »

:D Wow what a cool game to learn how to use a keyboard and get both parts of my limited brain to function simultaneously. Very new to PC games I can say that I'm hooked. :geek:

jim lee
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by jim lee »

Saw it featured on a snippet of a science/engineering utube video and thought "I'd like to try that, it looks like fun,"

And it is! Its incredible how much time I can burn playing this. Its totally fun to be able to craft custom solutions to problems you run into. Then to see them work. What a kick! First I was thinking, "This is like minecraft". Then I ran into the assembly machines. "No.. more involved than minecraft". After awhile I ran into the green/red circuits. I've had a blast trying to figure out ways to use those. Still can't wrap my head around the compare and combanator things. Blueprints, how insanely handy! How do I get rid of the extras? Now its trains. Again, its really confusing! I think I'm getting the logic behind trains a little. I was killed twice by my own train! So I developed an alarm using the green/red wires that sounds if a train is running. (I don't have a lot of trains so its extremely handy. Too many its is worthless.)

Anyhow, great game! I find it to be a lot of fun.

-jim lee

Jesperhk
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Jesperhk »

These comments must bring tears to the eyes of the creators, even i also got to tears, cuz i can relate so much.
Been playing for few years, and i'm just so happy for this game, its my fav game ever.

LordWampus
Inserter
Inserter

Post by LordWampus »

Thursday 9pm - This trailer looks good... think I'll stay up tonight and buy it when my pay-check drops.
Friday 1:30am - Buy Factorio. Play Factorio.
Friday 8:30am - Oh f***! I gotta go to work... why is it light already?
Friday 6:30pm - Back from work... time to get back to my Factorio!
Saturday 10pm - Maybe I should sleep? Or eat something maybe? Or just Factorio some more?
Monday 8:30am - Oh f***! I gotta go to work... why is it light already? (...and why am I so tired and hungry?)

Return to “General discussion”