[0.11.11+] FARL 0.2.8 (Rail Layer)

The raillayer; must have, if you want to play with railway.

Moderator: Choumiko

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.11.11+] FARL 0.2.8 (Rail Layer) (MP ready!?)

Post by Takezu »

Well hopp into it to acess the gui start it and then do something else?
Never said should stay in it.

PiggyWhiskey
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by PiggyWhiskey »

I think you're getting a little confused with the issue I brought up.

The speed of FARL is fine, it works fine and I have no problems staying in the train and steering to place the rails/signals/power poles/LandFill as needed.

The problem I have is trying to extend existing rails and the signals/power poles not lining up right, or being excessive (double power poles)

I'm a little bit pedantic like that. All my signals must be the same distance apart (I've chosen the max distance of the Big Poles.

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

Well ... thats not the mods fault.

The Farl takes it's own starting point as guide value, therefore you would have to stop in ever the same sequence to start it over again.
Slight variance and all goes off. But thats how it works, calculating the whole system to have it start mid sequence would, if possible, way to much effort then worth it.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

I'd say you shouldn't ever deconstruct it, and should just leave the FARL parked on a spur wherever you decide to stop expanding.
Means some possibly tedious reversing, but if it's never removed, it should always keep the same reference point, thus always laying the pattern at the same interval.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

Cheata
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Cheata »

n9103 wrote:I'd say you shouldn't ever deconstruct it, and should just leave the FARL parked on a spur wherever you decide to stop expanding.
Means some possibly tedious reversing, but if it's never removed, it should always keep the same reference point, thus always laying the pattern at the same interval.
I admit its been a while since i played factorio (im waiting till ver .13 with the new ending) but that doesn't sound right... if i remember correctly the FARL recalculates from its position every time the start button is clicked therefore leaving the FARL parked on a spur shouldn't make any difference as appose to demolishing it. Mind u as i haven't played for a while i may have missed an update that changes this behavior, feel free to let me know if i'm wrong

I must admit misaligned poles and blueprints due to starting and stopping dose annoy me a little but there are a number of ways round it including making sure you stop just before the next placement or start just before an existing placement so that there is a slightly smaller gap between the stop point and start point (obversely you would need to go back and manually remove the double up that occurs at the start point for this one)

as for writing a script to keep the poles neat between stops and starts ... not quite as difficult as suggested above you don't need to keep track of the whole network just the last chunk (size probably defined by the distance between power poles currently in use). The start position of the FARL and nearby rails are already recorded this would just need to be extended to find the closest power pole within wiring range and in the vicinity of the track (possibly also compare it the existing blueprint) and if valid, modify the "steps" to first pole placement by a value defined by the distance to that pole.

its an interesting theory and if i was still playing id probably mod it out myself and present it to Choumiko for his approval but i probably wont be doing any more modding (except for fixes to my own mods) until ver .13 arrives :)

oh and the same thing could be done for signals ... possibly also as a way to check if they are being placed on the correct side, ie throw an error or warning if your signals are side swapped from the next one back down the line

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

I'm also waiting. :P
I guess I don't have recent experience (several months actually) to draw on to provide examples, but I definitely remember doing this at one point. :|
Could be that I specifically turned onto a spur and made the spur of a specific length, so that it would always sync up compared to the starting point.
Sounds like something I'd do to work around limitations. *shrug*
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

PiggyWhiskey wrote: The problem I have is trying to extend existing rails and the signals/power poles not lining up right, or being excessive (double power poles)

I'm a little bit pedantic like that. All my signals must be the same distance apart (I've chosen the max distance of the Big Poles.
The double poles is a bug (more precisely i disabled the Check while working at 0.2.91 and forgot to put it back in ) About the signals: Right now it doesn't look for nearby signals when being started. I think I can easily add it in though.
My biggest problem right now is finding the motivation. Originally I planned doing pathfinding so it would go to a destination on its own during my vacation. Instead I played KSP like a mad man. Guess I'm too waiting for 0.13
I'll see what I can get done after work, no promises though.

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

Messed around a bit, the double poles should be gone (at least for big poles, medium poles are a problem as always). But as was being said: disabling pole placement alltogether when laying a "return track" is the safest way right now. As for signal placement: that will have to wait, though it's something that bothered me from the beginning.
Since i didn't take the time to really test the edits, here's the only file that got changed: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Choum ... r/FARL.lua (save as FARL.lua inside the Farl folder, overwriting the old one)

Just read the latest FFF, now i'm pretty sure i'll start playing and modding with 0.12 again, until then i'll try to work at least a bit on FARL.

EmilAFN
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by EmilAFN »

Hello! Tried searching the thread and found nothing like the error I got. When loading factorio I get to 2% and the msg "Error in assignID, 'huge-explosion' was not recognized id of entity"

Tried both zipped and unzipped, I got a clean installation of 0.12.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

EmilAFN
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [0.11.11+] FARL 0.2.8 (Rail Layer)

Post by EmilAFN »

Oh, thanks! :)

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.11.11+] FARL 0.2.8 (Rail Layer)

Post by Choumiko »

I'm going to close this thread, support for 0.11 will probably continue until i think it's no longer worth it (that is, once 0.12 feels stable enough for me)

FARL for Factorio 0.12+ : https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 61&t=13553

FARL for Factorio 0.11.22 : https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =61&t=9410

Return to “F.A.R.L”