[English] Nuclear Phrasing Inconsistencies

Place to discuss translation contributions. Recent and
oncoming changes related to translation.
valneq
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[English] Nuclear Phrasing Inconsistencies

Post by valneq » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:42 pm

Hello there,

in the English version of the game, the phrasing for lots of the nuclear stuff is just weirdly inconsistent. At first I was surprised to see YouTubers be confused about item names but then I realized the game itself is not consistent with that. Take the following item names:

Nuclear fuel = The uranium enhanced version of rocket fuel. Very high vehicle acceleration.
Uranium fuel cell = The thing that a nuclear reactor uses as input to produce heat.
Used up uranium fuel cell = The waste product of the above process.

However,
entity-description:nuclear-reactor = Uses nuclear fuel to generate heat. The heat output increases when placed next to other reactors.
recipe-name:nuclear-fuel-reprocessing = Nuclear Fuel Reprocessing
technology-name:nuclear-fuel-reprocessing = Nuclear Fuel Reprocessing
technology-description:nuclear-fuel-reprocessing = The process of reprocessing used nuclear fuel to create uranium-238.

I do understand that, in principle, a "uranium fuel cell" is some type of "nuclear fuel". However, there is a specific different item with exactly this name.

Why not have the second set of strings be "nuclear fuel" -> "uranium fuel"? I don't insinst on having the "cell" everywhere.

valneq
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [English] Nuclear Phrasing Inconsistencies

Post by valneq » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:43 pm

Oh I see what is going on. Apparently there is a fuel type (or fuel category) that is called "nuclear fuel", and the uranium fuel cells belong to that category. However, the item "Nuclear fuel" belongs to the category "burnable fuel" o_O

I don't recall that the fuel categories were printed before the recent tooltip changes, and I never did any modding myself. This is why I was not aware of the categories.

Nonetheless, I insist that this is highly confusing.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:45 pm

I'll deal with this for the next major release, a few things need to be sorted out related uranium/nuclear terminology

valneq
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by valneq » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:00 pm

Thanks a lot for the reply :)

Return to “Translations”