Information about releases and roadmap.
xfir01
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Version 0.17.0

Post by xfir01 »

Ranakastrasz wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:39 pm
Has anybody EVER found it useful to be able to detach/attach rolling stocks? I always just assembled the train on the line as needed.
Odd use-case, but the other day I was driving a train manually through an intersection and got slammed by an automatic train destroying one of the middle cargo wagons. So being able to reattach it without having to empty it first was useful.

ThaPear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ThaPear »

Ranakastrasz wrote:
Has anybody EVER found it useful to be able to detach/attach rolling stocks? I always just assembled the train on the line as needed.
I actually use it a lot, so yes.
I use a train with random stuff that I manually drive. I can turn around the lead engine by detaching, rotating, and reattaching.
Other than that I tend to stick wagons on the back if I'm clearing out an old station. I can easily detach those wagons in a station.
Sometimes when clearing a full station I make a train of however many wagons it takes to empty it out. I then drop it into another station where I just empty a subset of the wagons, remove those, reconnect the engine and drag the rest into the correct position. Repeating as needed until all wagons are empty.

SupplyDepoo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SupplyDepoo »

Ranakastrasz wrote:
I use it all the time to steal locomotives, to extend supply trains, or to merge forgotten über trains in multiplayer.

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

Ranakastrasz wrote:
Serenity wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:37 am
sarcolopter wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:52 am
what's a "rolling stock"?
Rail-vehicles: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_stock
It be useful if that was automatable, otherwise the only use is reattaching trains you blew through when driving manually

invisus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by invisus »

Saito wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:21 pm
FactorioBot wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:13 pm

Changes
  • Stickers can by applied onto cars and tanks now.
Hi Folks,

can someone please explain to me what this means? I've never heard of "Stickers" Related to Factorio and i'm quite puzzled. Google didn't give me an answer.
Sorry for my rusted English, not my main Language.

Thanks in Advance :)
I believe this is referring to Prototype/Stickers. I think this is how they are handling the new "acid splash" mechanic where you get a bit of a debuff when walking over or getting hit by a worm's loogie.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Ranakastrasz wrote:
Serenity wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:37 am
sarcolopter wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:52 am
what's a "rolling stock"?
Rail-vehicles: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_stock
Yeah, I find the button to attach them useful whenever I accidentally press the button to detach them.

Granted, I have to look them up every time. (I think it's j or k?)
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Anson
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Anson »

Jap2.0 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:19 pm
Yeah, I find the button to attach them useful whenever I accidentally press the button to detach them.
ROFL, thanks for the best comment of the month!

on a more serious note: if you don't need those two keys, you can rightclick on their definitions in the hotkey setup screen to get rid of them (and thus have two more keys available for use for other function or mods).

in 0.17, every hotkey function has two fields for specifying hotkeys.
are they just alternatives or is there some additional meaning for the second one?
this question occured to me when i saw that for the new quickbar there are 10 lines to select two keys each (shift-1..shift-0) and another 10 lines for some alternative two keys??? are those second 10 lines only some remains from a time when there was only one hotkey field per line, are they really for specifying a 3rd and 4th alternative hotkey, or is there something that i missed?

wahming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wahming »

Anson wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:11 pm
in 0.17, every hotkey function has two fields for specifying hotkeys.
are they just alternatives or is there some additional meaning for the second one?
this question occured to me when i saw that for the new quickbar there are 10 lines to select two keys each (shift-1..shift-0) and another 10 lines for some alternative two keys??? are those second 10 lines only some remains from a time when there was only one hotkey field per line, are they really for specifying a 3rd and 4th alternative hotkey, or is there something that i missed?
Are you referring to the hotkeys for the secondary quickbar?

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Anson wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:11 pm
Jap2.0 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:19 pm
ROFL, thanks for the best comment of the month!

on a more serious note: if you don't need those two keys, you can rightclick on their definitions in the hotkey setup screen to get rid of them (and thus have two more keys available for use for other function or mods).
Eh, as soon as I unbind them I'll probably need them. It's also quite a rare thing, so I'm probably not going to bother for now.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Anson
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Anson »

wahming wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:14 pm
ah, 10 lines for the buttons, 10 lines for selecting a hotbar as first hotbar and 10 lines for selecting a hotbar as second hotbar !?
then i had misunderstood it, taking it to mean an alternate hotkey instead of a hotkey for an alternate (second line) of the quickbars.
that makes more sense :-)

wahming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wahming »

Anson wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:22 pm
wahming wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:14 pm
ah, 10 lines for the buttons, 10 lines for selecting a hotbar as first hotbar and 10 lines for selecting a hotbar as second hotbar !?
then i had misunderstood it, taking it to mean an alternate hotkey instead of a hotkey for an alternate (second line) of the quickbars.
that makes more sense :-)
I'm assuming you're talking about the controls 'Secondary shortcut 1-10'. That's for the buttons on the secondary quickbar, for a total of 20 lines for 20 buttons.

Faark
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Faark »

Chests and wooden power poles are no longer usable as fuel.
Aww, that was such a fun easter egg :(
Defender capsule recipe now requires flying robot frames.
As consumables, they felt to expensive to me already anyway. So making them even more expensive without other improvements makes no difference to me^^

Everything else seems awesome so far, thanks!

Anson
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Anson »

wahming wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:25 pm
I'm assuming you're talking about the controls 'Secondary shortcut 1-10'.
That's for the buttons on the secondary quickbar, for a total of 20 lines for 20 buttons.
thanks. that makes even more sense.

can be pretty confusing to understand what "alternate" and "secondary" mean when you have several lines of hotbars out of a pool of even more hotbars and each button on any of them can have two hotkeys associated. thus one hotkey (or its alternate hotkey) selects the first button of the first line, another hotkey (or its alternate hotkey) selects the first button of the second line, a third hotkey (or its alternate hotkey) selects which hotbar to use on the first line, and to select which hotbar to use on the second line i would push the three keys "X", "third hotkey (or its alternate hotkey)", "X" ? that will be nice when understood and after retraining muscle memory :-)

i hope that more of such more detailed information which function is meant by some hotkey (and even more important for checkmarks in graphics, sound and many other settings) will be added later after the first one or two dozens of hotfixes for 0.17 are out and the devs again have time to finish the work on all the guis and other stuff. great work until now!

DRY411S
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DRY411S »

Ranakastrasz wrote:

If you'd have asked me that a week ago I would have said No. But this week I needed to adjust a 3-8-3 down to 2-4-2 and did not have enough room in my pockets (or any chests) to mine the trains and their fuel. So i just mined 1 and rolled the other 2 backwards then attached them. :)

Hiekie
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Hiekie »

I really like the new interface after figuring it out in the first few hours of playing the new version.

- one complete turnoff to me are the biters in the campaign. My base gets eaten away every time and not able to get my defenses up fast enough. i have played factorio 0.16.51 a lot so i am not a new player. If even an experienced player is not able to hold against the biters. how fast will new players see the game a worthless spend money?

+ I really love the FAST loading time of the game!
+ Very noce new graphics, especially the belts have a great makeup in my vision.
+ the new game bar. very confusing at first but now very nice! Takes some time to figure out using it correctly

DRY411S
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DRY411S »

Hiekie wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:00 am
If even an experienced player is not able to hold against the biters. how fast will new players see the game a worthless spend money?
I thought that too at first. And then I realised that I'd been conditioned to play a certain way, and it was time for a rethink. That can't be a bad thing. It's like playing the old versions with a jazzy new interface, but harder. :)

wahming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wahming »

DRY411S wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:27 am
Hiekie wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:00 am
If even an experienced player is not able to hold against the biters. how fast will new players see the game a worthless spend money?
I thought that too at first. And then I realised that I'd been conditioned to play a certain way, and it was time for a rethink. That can't be a bad thing. It's like playing the old versions with a jazzy new interface, but harder. :)
But that's the thing. It just feels like we've gotten the tutorial mixed up with a challenge scenario. Tutorials aren't meant to challenge, they're meant to teach and be completable by 100% of all players.

CDarklock
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by CDarklock »

wahming wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:53 pm
But that's the thing. It just feels like we've gotten the tutorial mixed up with a challenge scenario. Tutorials aren't meant to challenge, they're meant to teach and be completable by 100% of all players.
All new players. Players with established ideas, prejudices, and habits often have significant difficulty letting go of those and being taught.

wahming
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wahming »

CDarklock wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:57 pm
wahming wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:53 pm
All new players. Players with established ideas, prejudices, and habits often have significant difficulty letting go of those and being taught.
I find it doubtful that not a single new player might play the way an experienced player does, whether out of sheer luck or just personal preference. Amassing resources and production capability isn't hard, but will get you slaughtered in the tutorial.

CDarklock
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by CDarklock »

wahming wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:08 pm
I find it doubtful that not a single new player might play the way an experienced player does, whether out of sheer luck or just personal preference.
It's also doubtful that not a single new player is crazy, but that's not a design issue.

Return to “Releases”