Artillery Wagon Property for shooting while moving?

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
Xenalin
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Artillery Wagon Property for shooting while moving?

Post by Xenalin »

I can't seem to find a property that could be changed to allow the artillery wagon to shoot while moving. I imagined it would either be a boolean to toggle or a number for the minimum speed defaulted to 0.

I've looked this: https://wiki.factorio.com/Prototype/ArtilleryWagon and also the chain of prototypes it extends (rolling stock, vehicle...) as well as the gun prototype. I can't think of a solution or workaround.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Artillery Wagon Property for shooting while moving?

Post by Rseding91 »

There is no property. The way the artillery works isn't compatible with moving while automatic shooting because it resets the area it's scanning every time it moves.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Xenalin
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Xenalin »

Hmm, ok. I don't understand, though, why it wouldn't just scan the area the next area the artillery was due to scan, either relative to were it was or relative to where it is based on when the event ticks. Surely there is nothing that would actually force the artillery not to shoot.

I think the principle issue is just that they omitted the functionality from the API, not that the game would crash if it were to shoot from a coordinate while it was moving, right?

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Xenalin wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:47 am
Hmm, ok. I don't understand, though, why it wouldn't just scan the area the next area the artillery was due to scan, either relative to were it was
Because that area is no longer accurate.
Xenalin wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:47 am
or relative to where it is
Because scanning every tick is too expensive.

Xenalin
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Xenalin »

I meant that I had imagined the scan could have completed, start to finish, originating from the (x,y) position at t=0; in other words, the scan that would've happened as if the gun was stationary. Like a "fire-and-forget" scan, even if it doesn't make sense in terms of how radar works. The gun's movement would be disregarded by the scanning logic.

I guess it's a moot point if there's nothing in the API I can use though :(

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Xenalin wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:10 pm
I meant that I had imagined the scan could have completed, start to finish, originating from the (x,y) position at t=0; in other words, the scan that would've happened as if the gun was stationary. Like a "fire-and-forget" scan, even if it doesn't make sense in terms of how radar works. The gun's movement would be disregarded by the scanning logic.

I guess it's a moot point if there's nothing in the API I can use though :(
If it worked that way, the gun would be shooting at invalid things - stuff out of it's range.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Modding help”