[Poll] The Cliff Hanger of Factorio: 0.16

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.

Do you think the Factorio 0.16 experimental release was rushed?

It was definitely rushed
13%
It was probably rushed
19%
It was not rushed
68%

Total votes: 53

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[Poll] The Cliff Hanger of Factorio: 0.16

Post by Gergely »

By the release of 0.16...

...the Logistic Buffer Chest is simplified due to bug discovery right before release.
...cliff generation system is broken.
...still not fully high-res, there are some missing high-res sprites.
Cliffs
I think I can call 0.16 as the ultimate Cliff Hanger of Factorio. All of your most important concerns will be adressed (hopefully) in 0.17. :(

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [Poll] The Cliff Hanger of Factorio: 0.16

Post by Koub »

Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

tk0421
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by tk0421 »

The only rushing I would say that counts toward your poll, is the sense of rush that any person/company feels wanting to meet certain goals before both end of year, and before holiday vacations.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

Yes, but they knew that there were issues. That's why it's an experimental version and not a main release

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

Devs could postpone 0.16 until late January. But it was their good will to make players happy before Xmas.

Everyone players included was ready to meet all the troubles that this decision led to. And everyone accepted.
If you do not want to participate in testing and stabilizing 0.16 feel free to stay on STABLE branch which is 0.15.40 and stop thowing sht on the fan.

If I were mod I would definitely lock/delete this thread.

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

PacifyerGrey wrote:Devs could postpone 0.16 until late January. But it was their good will to make players happy before Xmas.

Everyone players included was ready to meet all the troubles that this decision led to. And everyone accepted.
If you do not want to participate in testing and stabilizing 0.16 feel free to stay on STABLE branch which is 0.15.40 and stop thowing sht on the fan.

If I were moderator I would definitely lock/delete this thread.
Why would you lock this thread?
Dude, I'm glad you are not a moderator. A real one would give a proper reason that I would understand, and never complain about.
Anyway I think the people who would opt-in for experimental release have one or more of the following reasons:
A) Wants to help hunting bugs (Unlikely to be the only reason)
B) Wants to experiment with new mechanics (Start a map, go creative mode mod or something, and blow the crap out of the biters with Artillery)
C) Wants to make a mod/update existing mod to new version (Would likely use a previous map, creative mode, or constantly generate a new map)
D) Boarded the hype train, can't help but take risks (Opt-in, start a session, go for rocket)

I am personally B and C, but that does not matter right now. It is "a good deed" that the developers released 0.16 for holidays, but currently they seem to only care about D type players for now. I think only D players would opt-in for 0.16 and then start a long-term session right away without thinking much about the risks. What my concern is this: 54664. Only D type players win. I do wait until 0.16 becomes stable before I create a new map where I build my new megabase. But can I do that if the world-gen is incomplete and they don't even fix it? I might end up with a broken map even then. They would have noticed the issue sooner or later (later) if they do wait with the release a reasonable amount of time. I would not complain if they even delay it the last moment. Just be COMPLETE damnit.

I created this topic with the intent of finding out people's opinion about it. (Especially the poll.)

I did opt-in for 0.16. Otherwise, I would not know what I am saying. I would not go back to 0.15 because I currently see no reason. It will be a sinking boat sooner or later. I prefer to build my factory on stable generated ground.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

Gergely wrote: I did opt-in for 0.16. Otherwise, I would not know what I am saying. I would not go back to 0.15 because I currently see no reason. It will be a sinking boat sooner or later. I prefer to build my factory on stable generated ground.
What is the purpose of the poll? Everyone knows all these are bugs including cliffs. They all will be fixed in some time. Why do you judge devs in this case?

All your topic is doing is just farting around. You are not constructive. You are not helping devs fixing stuff. You are just complaining and whining.

Silence is wisdom in your case.

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

PacifyerGrey wrote:They all will be fixed in some time.
That's why I call 0.16 a Cliff Hanger.
PacifyerGrey wrote:You are not constructive.
Neither are you. What are you trying to do here?
PacifyerGrey wrote:All your topic is doing is just farting around.
??? You are quite destructive.

Leave this topic. If there is any reason why it's "farting around", (AKA: getting bumped to the top of the page even though it goes nowhere topic wise) it is because of constant arguing and trying to have the last word. If you don't like it, don't post in it, and it might start sinking out of your view.

(Edit: And it did in fact for the time being.)
Last edited by Gergely on Tue May 29, 2018 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PunkSkeleton
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by PunkSkeleton »

It was not rushed.

The only thing that has serious flaws is terrain generation. I think they should fix it in 0.16 and not wait until 0.17. I don't care if there are sharp transitions in the terrain, I'm playing an experimental version of early access game. Fixes in the terrain generation are needed now (for example cliff generation, lack of stone and coal in starting area) not in next major release. And if there are still issues in 0.17 then next fix only in 0.18?

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

No. It was not rushed.

They wanted to surprise the playerbase for Christmas and warned about It being highly experimental.

If someone doesn't like it then they should opt out of experimental releases.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

There's a reason it's called experimental...

ex·per·i·men·tal
[ikˌsperəˈmen(t)l]
ADJECTIVE
(of a new invention or product) based on untested ideas or techniques and not yet established or finalized:
"an experimental drug"
synonyms: exploratory · investigational · trial · test · pilot · speculative · conjectural · hypothetical · tentative · preliminary · untested · untried
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

By the time I am writing this, 21 out of 28 votes (75%) say it was not rushed, and most replies tell me the same thing: There is a reason it is called experimental.

If it is an experimental version, then why don't they fix the terrain generation issue? (Because that would break all current saves, so that's why.) :( Sooo... I just wanted to point this out.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Gergely wrote:If it is an experimental version, then why don't they fix the terrain generation issue? (Because that would break all current saves, so that's why.) :( Sooo... I just wanted to point this out.
Yeah it is experimental, but it is still their game and up to them to decide which bugs/issues are the most important currently and when they are getting sorted out. And during the holidays I wouldn't jump to any fixed conclusions anyways because currently there's probably only the bare minimum staff in their office concentrating on critical things.

That the cliffs stop after a certain distance is not really game breaking so from their perspective it probably seems like that it can wait... and maybe they have also additional changes to the map generation planned and in that case it wouldn't really pay off to break the savegames now just to break them again in a few weeks. Wouldn't really be helpful in finding and sorting out all the other bugs if people would have to constantly rebuild/research everything from scratch. So it probably is a balance act.

That's just my guess.

But I agree that if it is going by 6 months unpatched then they could risk the breaking of savegames now.

Avezo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Avezo »

It was rushed, they even said so in FFF. They speeded it up so we could enjoy new features during the holidays, so instead of complaining you should be thankful you got anything. Or just use earlier stable .15.

Daid
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Daid »

But does it feel rushed? Not at all I think.

Hi-res, was already part of the previous release, but always incomplete.
Terrain generation, always had it's issues, now just has new issues, with old ones removed. But in general provides more variety in the terrain, which is good.
New feature contains bug in experimental release. Naturally this happens in experimental releases.

Did the game crash every 30 minutes? No. Does it feel solid. Yes.
I recommend playing the Lego video games. Those PC releases are rushed. You can feel it, depending on which game you have there are crashes and bugs. It's still playable, but nowhere near the stability that Factorio delivers. And patches there never happen.

Return to “General discussion”