3-way intersections: Throughput Compendium [Image heavy]

Smart setups of railway stations, intelligent routing, solutions to complex train-routing problems.
Please provide - only if it makes sense of course - a blueprint of your creation.
mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: 3-way intersections: Throughput Compendium [Image heavy]

Post by mrvn »

zytukin wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:26 pm
Basic 3 way intersection I have used for several factorys. Currently in use with 2-8 trains in a rail based mega factory containing over 1000 trains that has over 700 hours of play time and has launched over 1500 rockets. I have never had a deadlock unless I forgot to place a signal when doing modifications to make it fit a specific area.

This design is to accommodate higher turning traffic

3way.jpg
3way2.jpg
blueprint
I don't see any chain signals in this. Any congestion in one direction should block the junction and quickly cause a grid lock situation.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: 3-way intersections: Throughput Compendium [Image heavy]

Post by mrvn »

RulerOfHeck wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 1:25 pm
hansjoachim wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 6:03 am
Nice:)
The blue ones have no purpose, the only thing they do is forcing larger gaps between trains since trains have to wait longer before they merge. Why do you want to have them there?
You're right, pre-signals for merging switches are redundant, I'll remove them :)

I've been working on 100-grid 5u and 150-grid 6u 4way intersections, I'll update this one soon :)
Better to switch them to full signals and remove the signal after the merge. That one is redundant. Although it can help trains to start moving sooner to have it. You need a few more at the exits though to make it effective and space them just right. There is no point of having a train leave the first signal following another train if it then has to stop at the next signal. You need to space the signals so that when 2 trains follow each other the first will clear each segment just before the second train wants to reserve it, or at least before it has to stop at the signal. The more speed the followup train can retain the better.

Return to “Railway Setups”