Replace all logistic (and smart) chest with a single chest

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

bulldog98
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Replace all logistic (and smart) chest with a single chest

Post by bulldog98 »

Logistic Chests should be configurable (e.g. for an requester chest just configure request the item x), so you would not end up crafting zillions of chest for nothing. Also this would enable us to use on chest for request and provider.

--
I found the explanation and subject from Zeques below more useable; copied into this post: --ssilk
Instead of having 5 different chests types, I think it would be more productive to just have 1 smart-chest, or 1 logistic-chest, and allow it to be configured with the right mouse click, an change colors or add symbols accordingly. This would really simplify the amount of chests we have, and would allow to create more chest-variations without having to create one for each kind of smart chest.

Sander Buruma
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Logistic Chests via configure

Post by Sander Buruma »

I'm not sure what you are trying to do, what you seem to request - as I understand it - is already in the game. You can also limit the size of a chest that inserters can use by clicking on the red x and dragging over the squares you don't want them to use.

bulldog98
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by bulldog98 »

No what I mean, is that you can configure, if the chest should act as requester or provider (on an per item base).

Sander Buruma
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Sander Buruma »

Understood. That would be definately be a nice feature. It could probably be quite simply done by splitting splitting the chest inventory in half, one half for the requester side and one for the provider. Things being inserted by inserters go to the provider half, and things inserted by robots to the requester part.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Same is in my eyes also for rails (straight, curve).

For many other things I would wish to have a basic frame, which is then replaced: all types of belts, inserters, ...
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Zequez
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Replace all the logistic and smart chest with a single chest

Post by Zequez »

Joined, cause identical -- ssilk
--------------------------

Instead of having 5 different chests types, I think it would be more productive to just have 1 smart-chest, or 1 logistic-chest, and allow it to be configured with the right mouse click, and change colors or add symbols accordingly. This would really simplify the amount of chests we have, and would allow to create more chest-variations without having to create one for each kind of smart chest.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Replace all logistic (and smart) chest with a single che

Post by ssilk »

I found also this post:
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=6&t=1262

Very interesting, September last year....

erikem
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by erikem »

A very nice idea indeed.

syneris
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by syneris »

It's a cool idea, but I also like being able to tell what a chest is at a glance. Multiple chests add a little bit of complexity, but also give great visual feedback to the player.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Well, dependend what you do with a chest, they can have different colors. For example.

Let's think like a developer: the visual impression can be tweaked much easier, than the logical programming.

Slayn25
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Replace all logistic (and smart) chest with a single chest

Post by Slayn25 »

Sorry to necro this thread but any updates on this or thoughts from the developers? I see in 0.13 the Smart Chest will be removed (+1 from me), but what about combining the passive/active provider, requester, & storage chests into a single "logistics" chest?
Last edited by Slayn25 on Fri May 20, 2016 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I think we have a quite interesting suggestion here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21413 Concept: Rework of the Logistic Chests

And to make them all a single chest: I think I already argued. That is the same problem as with only one type of inserter (using modules) or belts. I think, if an item is used so many times (some hundreds per game), it makes sense that they don't need to be configured before right usage.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

If you look in the definition of the chests, they(the 4 logistic chests) are actually all clones of each other, with a single tag that specifies the logistic mode. As for having a unique colour for each, well, you can do this with an overlay with a tint tag, where the tint colour is chosen based on the mode.

However... it would actually be more annoying for the setup having to open each chest and set the mode manually, rather than just grab a provider chest, plop it, grab a requester chest, plop it. I know setting up the smart inserters for example can be quite a pain in my opinion, as is setting up the requester chests, I don't think we need these extra steps to set up what a logistic chest does as well.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Slayn25
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Slayn25 »

I still think it would be a good idea because it takes up less inventory space plus you wouldn't have to worry about having an excess of one type and a shortage of another. If an extra step for setup is a problem then I offer the following suggestions:
1. Logistics mode is saved in blueprints
2. While in hand, 'R' changes mode

If mode is not specified by one of the above methods:
1. If a chest has one inserter taking from it then by default it is set to requester mode
2. If a chest has one inserter feeding into it then by default it is set to passive provider mode (must be changed manually to active if desired)
3. If a chest has no inserters adjacent to it then by default it is set to storage mode

I would also suggest implementing the copy/paste mechanic that works for assemblers but with logistic chests
Last edited by Slayn25 on Fri May 20, 2016 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

Yes, the idea is great. Actually, it would be nice having the chest logic even simplier - with a slider. Lets say, 0 specifies "no logistic network behaviour", everything >0 specifies request priority, everything <0 specifies provider priority. I think that kind of behaviour wouldn't be too hard to implement.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Slayn25 wrote:1. Logistics mode is saved in blueprints
If the idea is implemented, this is an absolute must. the blueprints already store information on what a requester chest is requesting, so the mode as an addition is a must.
Slayn25 wrote:2. While in hand, 'R' changes mode
This actually isn't a bad idea, it would make it far less annoying.
Slayn25 wrote:If mode is not specified by one of the above methods:
1. If a chest has one inserter taking from it then by default it is set to requester mode
2. If a chest has one inserter feeding into it then by default it is set to passive provider mode (must be changed manually to active if desired)
3. If a chest has no inserters adjacent to it then by default it is set to storage mode
the only problem with this, is if you're expecting it to be an off the logistics grid "Smart chest", adding inserters changes the mode against your desire.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Slayn25
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Slayn25 »

Slayn25 wrote:If mode is not specified by one of the above methods:
the only problem with this, is if you're expecting it to be an off the logistics grid "Smart chest", adding inserters changes the mode against your desire.[/quote]

In 0.13, all types of chests will be able to be connected to a circuit network, so if you want a "smart" chest that doesn't interact with the logistics network then a steel chest would be the best option.
https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-138

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

This wouldn't add any gameplay value (you would still be able to do the exact same things) and it would complicate the UI. So, not likely to happen.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Couldn't you just (R)otate through the chest settings to get the variety you want? No GUI at all.

It would be a bit trickier because all the chest options are spread across multiple research topics.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I tried to imagine that, and I think I won't like it.

- The danger of making a simple mistake is much higher with this, cause all you see are different colors. Not forms, like with belts when you rotate them.
- It won't work with ghosts. Simply not visible with the way ghosts currently re displayed.
- It cannot be fast replaced without confusion: try to mine a full red chest (passive provider), instead of replacing it with active provider first and wait, till emptied.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”