Better belt and pipe building. Make it like train tracks

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Better belt and pipe building. Make it like train tracks

Post by factoriouzr »

The train track building is pretty good. It would be nice to be able to build and drag belts and pipes the same way.

In addition, it would be great if you could hold a modifier key like "ctrl" to have that section be made entirely of underground belts or pipes at max distance apart or calculated so it fits within the terrain without destroying it (like the train tracks are now).

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Better belt and pipe building. Make it like train tracks

Post by impetus maximus »

you can walk and build underground pipes.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I support this if you mean this:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=28845&p=183502#p183502
I think the game-play value can be increased a lot more, if we would be able to build belts like we do it with rails.

Example: Take belt, drag and if there is something between and you have UG belt! So instead of clicking 15 times to connect one side of my train station to the other, I need to click once.
The same goes with pipes:
choose a pipe (or underground pipe) and then drag it to the target. Game places pipes, by default it tries to lay underground belts, as with the rails.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

I guess you mean something similar to this:
[MOD 0.14] Automatic Belt (and pipe) Planner v0.10.0

I'd like to see a belt planner/pipe planner like this in the base game one day. However one issue here is that people have different ideas on how the belt should be laid down, when to use underground belts and how long they should be and so on, although prg made it quite customizable (check the Settings GUI explanation in the mod thread).
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Yes, but much more integrated into game of course.
The rest is in my opinion balancing and it makes no sense to discuss that here in detail. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

You might consider https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Neomore/ ... elt-Laying which lets you click and drag belts around corners and they will turn to follow the dragging.

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by factoriouzr »

ssilk wrote:I support this if you mean this:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=28845&p=183502#p183502
I think the game-play value can be increased a lot more, if we would be able to build belts like we do it with rails.

Example: Take belt, drag and if there is something between and you have UG belt! So instead of clicking 15 times to connect one side of my train station to the other, I need to click once.
The same goes with pipes:
choose a pipe (or underground pipe) and then drag it to the target. Game places pipes, by default it tries to lay underground belts, as with the rails.
That would be a great feature but just building them like rails and having a toggle for underground or above ground mode would be a great improvement as this way it will at least path around buildings and such like the rail one paths around trees etc if you aren't in deconstruct mode with the rail builder.

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by factoriouzr »

daniel34 wrote:I guess you mean something similar to this:
[MOD 0.14] Automatic Belt (and pipe) Planner v0.10.0

I'd like to see a belt planner/pipe planner like this in the base game one day. However one issue here is that people have different ideas on how the belt should be laid down, when to use underground belts and how long they should be and so on, although prg made it quite customizable (check the Settings GUI explanation in the mod thread).

This would be great, and if people don't like the auto placement then they can toggle underground or above ground mode as I suggested as they desire.

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by factoriouzr »

sparr wrote:You might consider https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Neomore/ ... elt-Laying which lets you click and drag belts around corners and they will turn to follow the dragging.
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that before but just couldn't get used to it. I'm looking for a way to build belts without having to be next to them and walk along them just like you can build rails now of unlimited length in ghost mode then have robots fill them in.

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

In that case, you probably want one of the "long reach" mods.

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by factoriouzr »

sparr wrote:In that case, you probably want one of the "long reach" mods.
I'm aware of those mods, but you are missing the point. The point isn't to build them one by one. The point is to build them like rails where you pick the start and pick the end and the in between is filled in automatically. Are you aware that building in straight lines at max zoom is very tedious in factorio? This is another reason why building belts and pipes like rails would be great. I also don't want to walk to make straight lines.

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

OK, let's change course then.

Above someone recommended the Automatic Belt (and pipe) Planner mod.

What about that mod isn't good enough for you? Make suggestions and the mod author can implement them. Or someone else can fork the mod.

Getting a feature like that into a mod is a great way to show the devs that people want it. I suspect fluid wagons got bumped up the official road map partially due to how popular the mod is.

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by factoriouzr »

sparr wrote:OK, let's change course then.

Above someone recommended the Automatic Belt (and pipe) Planner mod.

What about that mod isn't good enough for you? Make suggestions and the mod author can implement them. Or someone else can fork the mod.

Getting a feature like that into a mod is a great way to show the devs that people want it. I suspect fluid wagons got bumped up the official road map partially due to how popular the mod is.
I'm not sure if the modding API allows for things as fancy as how the rail builder works now. If it does, then that's great.

I'm all for getting this into the base game and popular mods can definitely help with that.

Souper07
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Pipe and Belt Pathfinding.

Post by Souper07 »

Would be awesome to have the logic from railway building applied to belts and pipes. It would automatically find a path to where you want it to go.

Maybe while using shift or ctl the pathfinder would be allowed to use underground belts if something was in the way.
This, but belts/pipes!

https://eu2.factorio.com/assets/img/blo ... sation.gif

https://eu2.factorio.com/assets/img/blo ... sation.gif

https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-113

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by factoriouzr »

Any update on this?

CJ5Boss
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Pipe and Belt Pathfinding.

Post by CJ5Boss »

That would be awesome, but AI for it may be different (like giving specifications for when to use undergrounds and pipes..., e.g. when should the distance be differed to use the certain type of pipe?).

Sad_Brother
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Pipe and Belt Pathfinding.

Post by Sad_Brother »

That was asked many times already. But for tubes and belts interference with existing network much more complicating imho.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into older topic with same suggestion
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”