[MOD 0.12.x] Factorio Maps

Topics and discussion about specific mods
BeowolfSchaefer
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Factorio Maps

Post by BeowolfSchaefer »

I thought I saw in the patch notes that this had been updated to work with MP. I guess I misunderstood and it's compatible with multiplayer but you can only run the mod on your client is that correct?

I agree with Dirante, this would be amazing if it could be made to run from a headless server.

EDIT: So I was thinkin about it and the issue is that the headless server never actually generates the visual input the mod uses right? You'd have to have a separate renderer for the mod. Is that basically correct?

DutchJer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DutchJer »

tried it, first time, didnt make any pictures, might have not set the size, but second time it took over an hour, when i forced quit my factorio. maybe my 180 mb save is too big. :P

Gachl
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Gachl »

BeowolfSchaefer wrote:So I was thinkin about it and the issue is that the headless server never actually generates the visual input the mod uses right? You'd have to have a separate renderer for the mod. Is that basically correct?
It'd be great if it just required the clients to have the mod installed too and the server would force one (or all) clients to render the map and have it sent to the server. You can basically outsource the rendering to the clients.

To me having this mod work on headless is important, I don't want to generate an "hourly" map myself for all the servers that I run.

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

BeowolfSchaefer wrote:EDIT: So I was thinkin about it and the issue is that the headless server never actually generates the visual input the mod uses right? You'd have to have a separate renderer for the mod. Is that basically correct?
The issue is that factorio's mod API is way too high level and you can't make anything that runs only on one machine. Everything is forcibly synchronized.

Bartimaeus
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Bartimaeus »

I love this mod.
though sometimes I would like to make big screenshot map of the mapmode (pressing "M") as that gives better information about ores than the usual game view.
is it possible to do that? I tried reading all the Lua Docs but I was not able to find a command that would switch the rendering mode to "mapmode". Even if I was switched into the "M" and called the screenshot command it always used the usual game view.

realm174
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by realm174 »

Any chance this could be made to auto-run at configurable intervals?

Noobier
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Noobier »

Hi, quick question: Wehre does the mod put the html files?
I tried searching it, but cant find them.

EDIT:
All my save folders contain only my savegames.

EDIT Solution:

Found it. It was AppData\Roaming\Factorio\script-output\FactorioMaps

Noobulus
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Noobulus »

Does anyone know why that when I open a generated map in my browser, the second I try to move, zoom, or manipulate it in any way, it breaks? (by 'breaks' I mean it goes blank with a 'file moved or deleted' message.) Anyone know why this is happening?

EDIT: Problem was solved my mngrif's suggestion to rename it without spaces. Weird.

TonyLemur
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by TonyLemur »

I made something cool with your mod! (I have to post the URL in a second post since I can't put URLs in my first post...)

TonyLemur
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by TonyLemur »

credomane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by credomane »

I pm'd jeroon the other day asking if/when FactorioMaps would get updated.
jeroon wrote:at the moment I don't have the time to update it, so if you feel like it, go ahead :)
(if not, I will take a look at it in a couple of weeks)
So today I took a stab at it. You can manually download the version for Factorio 0.13 here: github/credomane/FactorioMaps
Once/if jeroon gives me the ok I'll put it on the mod portal.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

This=Epic

BeowolfSchaefer
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Is it possible to call the script from the prompt or some other way to automate it running on a headless server because 0.60 seems to work fine when added to one, it's just that when I run it from the menu it can only generate locally.

credomane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by credomane »

BeowolfSchaefer wrote:Is it possible to call the script from the prompt or some other way to automate it running on a headless server because 0.60 seems to work fine when added to one, it's just that when I run it from the menu it can only generate locally.
Afraid not. The documentation states that game.take_screenshot on a headless server does absolutely nothing.

While unfortunate, it makes sense because the headless isn't doing anything graphic wise. Doubt the devs have any plans to change that.

BeowolfSchaefer
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

credomane wrote:
BeowolfSchaefer wrote:Is it possible to call the script from the prompt or some other way to automate it running on a headless server because 0.60 seems to work fine when added to one, it's just that when I run it from the menu it can only generate locally.
Afraid not. The documentation states that game.take_screenshot on a headless server does absolutely nothing.

While unfortunate, it makes sense because the headless isn't doing anything graphic wise. Doubt the devs have any plans to change that.
Ahh yeah, that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

I guess the solution might be what some of the similar mods for Minecrft do where there's a separate renderer for the map that just reads the save game and generates the image itself. That's a whole other task than this one though.

Mini-Me
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Mini-Me »

I've crafted myself a little method that can automatically generate the map for me. All I do is run a batch file and see it do its magic. That's still not suitable for headless servers, but if you have a server with a graphics card you can at least just for the map generation launch the normal version of Factorio.
Code

Unfortunately though, I get the "max zoom level break" error. The work around I use for now is to manually edit the html and change the min zoom to 4, as that's the smallest zoom level it does...
Here's the map it outputs: https://googledrive.com/host/0B2kB5dGue ... 1ERDhCbm8/
The savegame: https://googledrive.com/host/0B2kB5dGue ... player.zip

goldfiction
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by goldfiction »

I have compiled and fixed to a version for 0.14.x
see attachment
Attachments
FactorioMaps_0.6.1001.zip
for 0.14.x
(46.36 KiB) Downloaded 96 times

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Sorry but you wasted your time.
It's already on the mod portal: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/credomane/FactorioMaps

Greetings steinio

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

SquarelyCircle
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by SquarelyCircle »

This mod is great! However, after loading the index.html, if I try to zoom, the screen goes white and says "Your file was not found. It may have been moved or deleted."
Using Chrome.

Mini-Me
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Mini-Me »

IIRC that's a bug when the folder path has a space in it. Try moving it somewhere without a space.

Return to “Mods”