[2.1.17] Poor Performance (UPS) with Large Number of Landing Pad Unloading Bays
Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2026 4:21 pm
Greetings,
I have a fairly large base, and overall performance is excellent. I generally sit at a solid 60 UPS. The exception is when the cargo landing pad on Nauvis receives a large shipment, at which point UPS can drop to around 15 for a second or two. As the base has grown, this has become more and more frequent.
I'm not sure if this is a bug, an optimization opportunity, or just an expected side effect of directly attaching ~700 Bio Labs to the Landing Pad.
Looking through the debug overlays, I think the cost is not in the cargo drop itself or in the landing pad's unloading, but in the inserters attached directly and indirectly to the landing pad. There are roughly 3,600 legendary bulk inserters in that chain.
My speculation is that on each drop, every directly and indirectly connected inserter re-evaluates whether it needs the item. I see the UPS drops even when no inserters actually swing, which suggests the cost is in the evaluation rather than in moving items.
Conditions that seem to matter
Related behavior
I have observed something similar, less severe but seemingly related, when the 40 or so stack inserters all eject spoilage at the same time. My guess is that everything spoils at roughly the same moment, so the problem is not that 40 stack inserters are removing 100k spoilage. It is that spoilage keeps reappearing and the stack inserters have to work out how to share it again and again across thousands of stacks.
Reproduction
This save has three platforms staged. No mods are installed.
Issue 1: two platforms named Spot, holding roughly 840k science packs total.
Dispatch both Spot platforms.
The first delivery arrives and the biolabs begin researching. Performance is normal here, with no drop.
A few minutes later both Spots will complete the second delivery cycle. This is where UPS collapses.
Issue 2: one platform named Trade Route, holding roughly 167k agricultural science packs that are all about to spoil.
Dispatch the Trade Route platform to reproduce the spoilage behavior described above.
A Kind Thank You
You folks are amazing, and so is this game. Thank you for creating it. Thank you for maintaining it. I am coming up on 15,000 hours. Best $30 I have ever spent.
I have a fairly large base, and overall performance is excellent. I generally sit at a solid 60 UPS. The exception is when the cargo landing pad on Nauvis receives a large shipment, at which point UPS can drop to around 15 for a second or two. As the base has grown, this has become more and more frequent.
I'm not sure if this is a bug, an optimization opportunity, or just an expected side effect of directly attaching ~700 Bio Labs to the Landing Pad.
Looking through the debug overlays, I think the cost is not in the cargo drop itself or in the landing pad's unloading, but in the inserters attached directly and indirectly to the landing pad. There are roughly 3,600 legendary bulk inserters in that chain.
My speculation is that on each drop, every directly and indirectly connected inserter re-evaluates whether it needs the item. I see the UPS drops even when no inserters actually swing, which suggests the cost is in the evaluation rather than in moving items.
Conditions that seem to matter
- It only happens when the landing pad already holds items and a new shipment arrives. If I empty the pad first, I can deliver 840k science packs with no issue.
- It is not noticeable when orbital platforms trickle resources down. It takes a mass drop to trigger it.
- It only reproduces while researching a technology that consumes many different science pack types, such as Research Productivity. I cannot reproduce it while researching Mining Productivity.
- It only occurs while the biolabs are still short on science packs. Once they are actively researching, the drop goes away.
Related behavior
I have observed something similar, less severe but seemingly related, when the 40 or so stack inserters all eject spoilage at the same time. My guess is that everything spoils at roughly the same moment, so the problem is not that 40 stack inserters are removing 100k spoilage. It is that spoilage keeps reappearing and the stack inserters have to work out how to share it again and again across thousands of stacks.
Reproduction
This save has three platforms staged. No mods are installed.
Issue 1: two platforms named Spot, holding roughly 840k science packs total.
Dispatch both Spot platforms.
The first delivery arrives and the biolabs begin researching. Performance is normal here, with no drop.
A few minutes later both Spots will complete the second delivery cycle. This is where UPS collapses.
Issue 2: one platform named Trade Route, holding roughly 167k agricultural science packs that are all about to spoil.
Dispatch the Trade Route platform to reproduce the spoilage behavior described above.
A Kind Thank You
You folks are amazing, and so is this game. Thank you for creating it. Thank you for maintaining it. I am coming up on 15,000 hours. Best $30 I have ever spent.