Page 1 of 1
[2.0.77] ElectricEnergyInterface on LuaEntity
Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2026 2:30 pm
by Fletch
Hi. I'm a factorio modding newbie and working on my first mod, and was hoping to target both 2.0.77+ and 2.1.x support with it.
Question: Specifically on the LuaEntity, the new ElectricEnergyInterface capabilities, the input_flow_limit:
https://lua-api.factorio.com/2.1.17/cla ... flow_limit
There is a "new" note on it saying that it is "New since 2.0.77".
However, I'm fairly sure that this is really new since 2.1.7 -- corroborated by the change history notes for 2.1.7:
https://wiki.factorio.com/Version_history/2.1.0#2.1.7 notes:
Code: Select all
Added LuaEntity::input_flow_limit, output_flow_limit read/writes.
Am I reading the docs wrong, or just being stumped by a documentation note error?
BTW, I'm fine with dropping support for 2.0.x if this feature is only available in 2.1.7+. Thanks!
Re: [2.0.77] ElectricEnergyInterface on LuaEntity
Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2026 2:44 pm
by Stringweasel
It's easy to verify back checking the 2.0.77 docs. You can find it through the dropdown in the top right:
https://lua-api.factorio.com/
Closest I could find to your question is this
So probably not possible, in runtime, for 2.0
Looks like it possible to change in data stage
https://lua-api.factorio.com/2.0.77/cla ... flow_limit
Re: [2.0.77] ElectricEnergyInterface on LuaEntity
Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2026 2:55 pm
by Fletch
Thanks @Stringweasel . Yeah, I'm fairly sure this just doesn't exist on 2.0.77 at all (getting related errors at runtime on 2.0.77 but not on 2.1.17).
Ultimately this thread is just a request to fix/update the docs to correct the "New since" note to reflect these fields are new since 2.1.7, not 2.0.77.
For my mod specifically, these new fields are the perfect solution for my needs (highly dynamic new entity that changes electric consumption based on internal conditions and electric buffer monitoring) -- so needs to be done at runtime and not during a static prototype (or static data) phase. Since its a new mod anyway, I'll just target 2.1.x and not worry about trying to support older versions. I have a path forward and not blocked. Thanks!
Re: [2.0.77] ElectricEnergyInterface on LuaEntity
Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2026 1:22 am
by PennyJim
Fletch wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2026 2:30 pm
There is a "new" note on it saying that it is "New since 2.0.77".
Am I reading the docs wrong, or just being stumped by a documentation note error?
I think you're reading it wrong. It means it's been added since 2.0.77, so that's the last version without it.
Re: [2.0.77] ElectricEnergyInterface on LuaEntity
Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2026 2:27 pm
by Bilka
Indeed, "new since 2.0.77" that it was newly added after that version. "since" in this case meaning "at a time in the past after or later than".
We've changed the docs to use "new after 2.0.77" with the next Factorio release.
Re: [2.0.77] ElectricEnergyInterface on LuaEntity
Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2026 6:08 pm
by Fletch
Hi Bilka! Some popular programming languages use "@since" to indicate the first version an API was introduced, and that's what got me confused. "New after 2.0.77" clears up the confusion. Thank you.