Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[MOD 0.15.2+]Useful Space Industry[0.2.8]

Post by jorgenRe »

math behind the amount of possible energy
Ar2 Exhim Laser method of energy sending
Useful Space Industry

Description:
Tired of just seeing just one single number increase every time a new satelite is launched, yet you know you put 100 solar panels and accumulators on it :|
Well if you also think like so then this may be the mod for you!
Details:

Factorio Version: 0.14+
Released: 10th of August 2015
License: Feel free to use the mod as a template for your mod, but please put me as a credit then ;)!
Full license in downloaded files.
Tags: Generate Power, end game, satelite

Download:
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/jorgen19981/usefulSpace

Github always used a "-" so i couldn't use it, but il continue to test it until it works the way i want it to work ;)
https://github.com/JorgenRe1/UsefulSpaceIndustry
Interesting thing to read:
Hmm adf.ly says 11 views. Mediafire 89... Conclusion lots of people are using adblock :O!
So no point in using this link if you got Ad Block on, as that does not count as supporting me :/
Though i can totally understand that some ads may be a little irritating some times, but remember ad block may interfere with some functions on some sites even though that function it blocked was not an ad.
Now at the very least it does save a tiny bit on the forums bandwith, so its not a full waste of your time :lol:!

Introducing the advanced microwave beamed power receiver!
(picture when new model is made since right now it just looks like an ordinary accumulator)
It receives the power beamed down from your satelites!
And lets you brag about how your factory is powered by solar, yet only a minimal amount of extra space is required!
Each satelite generates aprox 6.3 MW which is 105%(may change) of what your solar panels would of normally made at peak hour.
Current energy production reason in comment under, but il have a talk with my phisics teacher about viable options for beaming down power from space :D!

Known issues
It is known that if you have too many receivers then you will not get the full amount of energy. This is due to the fact i'm forced to use a generator and it only functions when the temperature is high enough.

What is to come next?
Im still deciding on the color of the top part of the antennae :)!
-New model for the energy receiver(working on it. the rough model is done and the base of the receiver got some texture)
-New kinds of paylod. For example missiles and a radar Satelite
Changelog
Thanks to Zwobot for creating the code to detect satelites already launched.
Thanks to Uberwaffe for some great powerproduction code!
Attachments
usefulSpace_0.2.2.zip
For versions 0.12.11+(not compatible with 0.13!)
(10.44 KiB) Downloaded 1248 times
usefulSpace_0.2.1.zip
For versions that ends with a number LESS than 11
(10.44 KiB) Downloaded 436 times
Last edited by jorgenRe on Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:39 pm, edited 45 times in total.
Logo
Noticed the told change in FFF #111 so il continue to use my signature ^_^
Thanks for listening to our suggestions, devs :D!
I would jump of joy if we could specify which tiles spawned in a surfaces

oLaudix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.12.3]Useful Space Industry[0.1.4](12th August)

Post by oLaudix »

Each satelite generates aprox 4.8 MW which is 80 %(may change) of what your solar panels would of normally made at peak hour.
This makes no sense as solar panels produce more energy in space. It would also be more consistent since you need to spend resources to send it there.

Not to mention I would rather stick them on the ground instead of sending another rocket if they produce less energy.

Paljoey
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Paljoey »

oLaudix wrote:
Each satelite generates aprox 4.8 MW which is 80 %(may change) of what your solar panels would of normally made at peak hour.
This makes no sense as solar panels produce more energy in space. It would also be more consistent since you need to spend resources to send it there.

Not to mention I would rather stick them on the ground instead of sending another rocket if they produce less energy.
Actually no because that's only at peak. Presumably satellites produce power all the time, which is much better than regular solar power.

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

:D please scrreen

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

oLaudix wrote:

PSST I misquote I meant 90 % :lol:
But yea a satellite orbits the earth and it's solar panels are much more efficient I know (no atmo). So it stores some of the energy it produces to relay down to earth when it's on the dark side to keep a constant power. Its not like it's dump solar panels, as it needed I think it was 100 processing units ;)!

Oh and the most important thing you don't need to place them down yourself and in space they are all safe so no extra lasers needs to be powered if you would have to expand for those extra solars :D!
One more thing from:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space-based_solar_power
Part of the solar energy (55-60%) is lost on its way through the atmosphere by the effects of reflection and absorption.
Okay now we are at ~150 KW per solar panel
But it doesnt have sun 24/7 since it orbits the planet. So for simplicity it then only gives 75 KW per solar panel on average.
The recipe did use radars right and they;
A radar transmits radio waves or microwaves that reflect from any object in their path
Therefore:
Beamed at 84% efficiency, (from the microwave part)
Now we got an average of 63 KW per panel left. Which means yes i will increase the modifier to be 1.05, but keep the modifier for a later tech upgrade to allow for zero energy loss on transfer ;)!

And then to the consistency part.
I will be chaning the way it generates power to be as if it is a boiler and then use some lua code to get it to work, hopefully then it will be consistent, seeing as right now it just creates the extra power that your powersystem needs to fully meet the demand ;)!
Last edited by jorgenRe on Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
Logo

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

Airat9000 wrote::D please scrreen
Oki:
:lol: !

EDit for real
When The Underground is out of the WIP section i will be returning to this mod and start by adding in a new texture for the energy receiver, and also do some changes to the mod ;)!
Then after that. The...ummm picture may be correct. Bye Bye biters :twisted: !
Logo

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

jorgenRe wrote:
Oki:

EDit for real
When The Underground is out of the WIP section i will be returning to this mod and start by adding in a new texture for the energy receiver, and also do some changes to the mod ;)!
;) to infinity rocket to launch game end?

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

Airat9000 wrote:
jorgenRe wrote:
Oki:

EDit for real
;) to infinity rocket to launch game end?
No no biter end, but the area becomes radioactive(and no, Jorg Co did not supply you with a radiation protecting suit) ;)!
Logo

Arkansas
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.4]Useful Space Industry[0.1.5](14th August)

Post by Arkansas »

Supported :D
ARKANSAS

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

Arkansas wrote:Supported :D
Awesome :D!
Logo

Zwobot
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Zwobot »

You can poke the GUI for the number of rockets sent. Also this mod works nicely with automatic launching ;)

Code: Select all

function read_satellites_sent_from_gui(force)
    --print("Reading #satellites from " .. force.name)
    for index, player in ipairs(force.players) do
        local rocket_score = player.gui.left.rocket_score
        if rocket_score then
            local rocket_count = rocket_score.rocket_count
            if rocket_count then
                --print("FoundGUI: " .. tostring_ex(rocket_count.caption))
                return tonumber(rocket_count.caption)
            end
        end
    end
    --print("> No GUI found, defaulting to 0.")
    return 0
end

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Once this mod adds at least two other space industry-usefulnesses, in addition to solar power sattelites, it'll be very interesting.

Devildog
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Devildog »

Cool
Check Out Factorio Mod Madness 2.0 Here : http://bit.ly/1afTDl0
Mod Madness ModPack

CorrettoSambuca
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.6]Useful Space Industry[0.1.5](14th August)

Post by CorrettoSambuca »

Wouldn't it make sense to just make it work like a solar panel, except through night too and at a variable production rate? (Relative to how many sats you have)
Or is that what you mean by "making it work like a boiler"?

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

A solar panel sattelite should work 24/7. Up in orbit, you're out of the planet's shadow, so you get the sunlight all the time.

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

Peter34 wrote:A solar panel sattelite should work 24/7. Up in orbit, you're out of the planet's shadow, so you get the sunlight all the time.
Well not all the time. Its a reason why our satelite the moon has a red moon thing 25th September, but you got a point there. ;)
Logo

Kanji
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Kanji »

I am fairly certain there are many orbits around an object that orbits a star that will provide uninterrupted star visibility. The bigger problem is having a continuous view of both the receiver and the star. This could be negated with a geostationary satellite that re-transmits the power.

Kanji
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Kanji »

I love this mod but I am bit concerned after using it for a bit. The power generation seems to be capped at 500 MW, not sure on the exact amount it jumps up and then powers for a short bit before draining completely and starting back up but 480-500 is the range on a 5 second interval. I have launched over 100 satellites since I have started using your mod (the mod update after a launch is around 130) but the power output doesn't seem to be any higher than a peak of around 500 MW. This is after all of my accumulators have fully drained and with no other power generation.

I have tried a second receiver but it appears that currently only one will receive power.

Mod version is 0.1.5 and game version is 0.12.5. Thank you very much for this mod. I look forward to a reply.

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

Kanji wrote:I love this mod but I am bit concerned after using it for a bit. The power generation seems to be capped at 500 MW, not sure on the exact amount it jumps up and then powers for a short bit before draining completely and starting back up but 480-500 is the range on a 5 second interval. I have launched over 100 satellites since I have started using your mod (the mod update after a launch is around 130) but the power output doesn't seem to be any higher than a peak of around 500 MW. This is after all of my accumulators have fully drained and with no other power generation.

I have tried a second receiver but it appears that currently only one will receive power.

Mod version is 0.1.5 and game version is 0.12.5. Thank you very much for this mod. I look forward to a reply.
Over a hundred satelites :o!
Wow. Well then il double check my code, and after I'm done with my chemi report il create a simple model for the energy receiver :)!
I then also look into doing what one said above about reading the satelites sent variable!

What do you think about a microwave energy receiver that is based upon this?
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... ting_2.jpg
Logo

Kanji
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.7]Useful Space Industry[0.2.0](12th September)

Post by Kanji »

That's an awesome design for the receiver.

I found some stuff done by JAXA about space based power. The article says that for laser-based power transmission (hundreds of THz) the receiver needs to be "several hundred meters long" per GW of power, not sure if that is sent or received 1 GW nor what the shape of a "long receiver" might be. While for a microwaved-based transmission (at 5.8 GHz) the receiver would need to have a radius of 3 km per 1 GW of power, due to the size this is basically a large level area. 5.8 GHz was specifically chosen to meet regulation. Lower frequencies result in a longer wavelength (i.e. larger receiver). The article states "Frequencies in the range of 1 to 10 gigahertz offer the best compromise between antenna size and atmospheric attenuation." So you could pick a higher frequency than 5.8 GHz to find a scientifically accurate and more reasonably sized receiver.

Return to “Mods”