Side Inserters_1.0.8.zip
Factorio 0.12
(73.55 KiB) Downloaded 5583 times
Older Versions

Localisations
Deutsch, English, Español, 日本語, Русский
License
Description
For each type of inserter (burner/basic/long-handed/fast/smart), this mod adds a left and right variant. Left variants place objects 90 degrees clockwise from the pickup location, right variants 90 degrees anticlockwise.
Crafting a side inserter requires only a single standard inserter of the same type, and mining a side inserter drops the standard version, for maximum flexibility. Side inserter recipes are unlocked alongside the standard versions.

0.13 Changes
As of 0.13 there are no more custom recipes, items or entities. Simply place any inserter, and press SHIFT + R with the cursor over it to cycle its pickup direction.
SHIFT + N toggles near/far inserting.
Example video

0.12 to 0.13 Migration
The changes in the 0.13 version of this mod are too complex for a simple migration script, so I've created a dedicated mod to migrate a save from 0.12 to 0.13.
Inserter Migration_1.0.0.zip
Factorio 0.12 to 0.13 migration
(140.51 KiB) Downloaded 417 times
Inserter Migration is entirely independent of 0.13 Side Inserters, you do not need to remove or install Side Inserters before using Inserter Migration.
To use, simply install Inserter Migration, load your 0.12 world, and press SHIFT + K to upgrade all inserters within 10000 tiles of the player. You can change this distance by extracting the mod and editing the RANGE value in control.lua
Once you are satisfied your world is upgraded, save it. You may then uninstall the migration mod and continue with or without Side Inserters as you choose.

Migration Limitations
  • Smart side inserters keep their filters, but they will lose wire connections. Sorry, I just couldn't find a sane way of keeping them - electric poles have a function to list all their wire-connected neighbours, but inserters don't
  • Items currently held by side inserters will be lost - inserter hand contents are read-only
  • Burner side inserters will keep their fuel inventory but fuel progress is lost, so they will all consume one piece of fuel when changed over
Pictures

Near inserters also available!
Version history
Last edited by GotLag on Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:48 pm, edited 31 times in total.

LuckyOne
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Side Inserters [1.0.0]

Post by LuckyOne »

I like this mod, thank you for making it! Now I don't have to rebuild everything just because a standard inserter doesn't fit.

Devildog
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Devildog »

I also like this mod an that was a fast update to 0.12.0
Check Out Factorio Mod Madness 2.0 Here : http://bit.ly/1afTDl0
Mod Madness ModPack

MantisShrimp
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MantisShrimp »

Very useful yet simple mod. Can I suggest that you make the arrows on the icon a different color than the color of the inserters? They kind of bend in and is a little hard to spot.

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GotLag »

Here you go, this version has all the coloured arrows replaced with white:
[snip]

Remove "_high_contrast" from the filename after downloading.

Edit: replaced default icons with improved contrast version.
Last edited by GotLag on Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Devildog
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Devildog »

@GotLag,
My game crashed when i put a side inserter down taking coal from a box an putting it into the Burner Drill/mine at the start of the game.
- Edit, Not sure if crash was from the game or the mod.
Probably is from the game, Thought i would post it.
Last edited by Devildog on Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Check Out Factorio Mod Madness 2.0 Here : http://bit.ly/1afTDl0
Mod Madness ModPack

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GotLag »

The only changes my mod makes are to the insert positions. The values I use are consistent with the base versions, but rotated 90 degrees. I'm going to say it's due to 0.12.0.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Devildog wrote:@GotLag,
My game crashed when i put a side inserter down taking coal from a box an putting it into the Burner Drill/mine at the start of the game.
- Edit, Not sure if crash was from the game or the mod.
Probably is from the game, Thought i would post it.
I'd recommend putting up save with mod in bugs section. Devs can investigate what caused the crash.

laige
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by laige »

Hello I made a mod making an inserter.
My Mod

After seeing your mod I wanted our two mods to be able to play nicely together with out one looking out of place. Well i just updated it so that, it too, can have side inserters of my custom inserter. So if players set sideinserters to true within my mod's config; the side inserter variants will be made available to them.

Try it out if you like and let me know what you think. I thought it would be good so players can now enjoy both our mods more fully at the same time.

Oh and your migrations needs to be updated.

Code: Select all

for i, player in ipairs(game.players) do
	player.force.reset_recipes()
	player.force.reset_technologies()
end

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Side Inserters [1.0.1]

Post by GotLag »

Thanks, I completely forgot to check if the 12.0 update had broken the migration script. Fixed and updated.

Ralord89
Inserter
Inserter

Bug found

Post by Ralord89 »

First of all. Great mod with a great Idea. Loving it so far... However I've come across an issue, thankfully its not game crashing but it needs addressing.

A lot of the time, the side inserters start to make either make the sound of the Logistic bots flying about OR a horrible ear piercing crackling screech when moving.
Now I've isolated it to this mod by
-Disabling the mod - all was fine
-Disabling all my other mods - still made the horrid sounds
-Standing near the inserters for a bit, and then away from them - it happened when ever they were actively moving.

Thank god though, its not ALWAYS making the horrible sounds... I'd say about 40%

MasterBuilder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Bug found

Post by MasterBuilder »

Ralord89 wrote:First of all. Great mod with a great Idea. Loving it so far... However I've come across an issue, thankfully its not game crashing but it needs addressing.

A lot of the time, the side inserters start to make either make the sound of the Logistic bots flying about OR a horrible ear piercing crackling screech when moving.
-Standing near the inserters for a bit, and then away from them - it happened when ever they were actively moving.

Thank god though, its not ALWAYS making the horrible sounds... I'd say about 40%
Ya know, I remember noticing something like this last week. I didn't hear the logistic bots, just a loud screech. BUT, this was with plain old regular inserters.
It then went away once I stopped paying attention to it and hasn't some back since.

I haven't heard anything in a while but I'll keep a ear out.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

bigyihsuan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Bug found

Post by bigyihsuan »

Ralord89 wrote:First of all. Great mod with a great Idea. Loving it so far... However I've come across an issue, thankfully its not game crashing but it needs addressing.

I'm also having this problem in 0.12.2. It was working fine in 0.12.1.

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Side Inserters [1.0.2]

Post by GotLag »

I've made a change that appears to fix it (setting match_progress_to_activity to false in the sound definitions). If it continues the only option I can see is to disable sounds entirely for the side inserters.

darkshadow1809
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Side Inserters [1.0.2]

Post by darkshadow1809 »

GotLag wrote:I've made a change that appears to fix it (setting match_progress_to_activity to false in the sound definitions). If it continues the only option I can see is to disable sounds entirely for the side inserters.

Goodjob ;) You also fixed various crashes that happened. Your sound file was messing all sorts of things up :D !
ShadowsModpackDevelopment

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.12.x] Side Inserters v1.0.2

Post by GotLag »

Not my sounds, actually, just vanilla inserter sounds and settings. I guess the inserter code makes some assumptions about timing that don't hold true when it's only moving half as far.

ToxicFrog
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ToxicFrog »

This mod is great, but I'm having a problem with the left/right smart inserters -- I can't connect circuit network wires to them. If I connect to the power pole first, then try to connect to the inserter, it lights up but plays an error noise and does nothing when I click on it; if I connect to the inserter first, my cursor changes to a red 'X' and I can't connect the wire to anything else.

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GotLag »

That's odd. The only thing I change is the insert position, no idea why that should stop wires from connecting.

Edit: herp derp I'm an idiot and somehow didn't include the circuit wire connection point in the smart inserter entity definitions. Fixed version uploaded, thanks for pointing it out.

Kryzeth
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Side Inserters v1.0.3

Post by Kryzeth »

Hello and thank you for this awesome mod, it's been very helpful in my more vanilla playthroughs of Factorio, but a slight annoyance I had, was playing with bobs mods (specifically bobs logistics), whose new inserters didn't have left and right versions. I didn't really want to bother you, so I took a look into both mods, and spliced them together to make side inserter versions of bobs inserters. Specifically, in the zip I have included below, I added an optional dependency to bobs logistics so that it loads after. The basic side inserters are still added regardless of anything else, then it checks if bobs logistics are enabled and if so, it will enable side purple inserters, then if the long inserters option (in bobs config) is ticked to true, it will enable the side versions of all the added long inserters.

For anyone who uses bobs mods a lot, I don't personally use any of the other inserters, so I didn't make side versions of them, and if you enable them in the config (or use bobs logistics without bobs config) the crafting menu becomes.. messy. So for best results, you'd need to bobs config, with long inserters set to true, and all other inserters set to false. I don't think you really need side inserters if you're using those specialized inserters anyways, and vice versa, as they should both fuflill the same goal of making compact setups. Well anyways, here!
Attachments
Side Inserters_1.0.3.zip
Side Inserters for Bobs Mods
(127.29 KiB) Downloaded 418 times

bouncebag
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Side Inserters v1.0.3

Post by bouncebag »

Kryzeth wrote:Hello and thank you for this awesome mod, it's been very helpful in my more vanilla playthroughs of Factorio, but a slight annoyance I had, was playing with bobs mods (specifically bobs logistics), whose new inserters didn't have left and right versions. I didn't really want to bother you, so I took a look into both mods, and spliced them together to make side inserter versions of bobs inserters. Specifically, in the zip I have included below, I added an optional dependency to bobs logistics so that it loads after. The basic side inserters are still added regardless of anything else, then it checks if bobs logistics are enabled and if so, it will enable side purple inserters, then if the long inserters option (in bobs config) is ticked to true, it will enable the side versions of all the added long inserters.

For anyone who uses bobs mods a lot, I don't personally use any of the other inserters, so I didn't make side versions of them, and if you enable them in the config (or use bobs logistics without bobs config) the crafting menu becomes.. messy. So for best results, you'd need to bobs config, with long inserters set to true, and all other inserters set to false. I don't think you really need side inserters if you're using those specialized inserters anyways, and vice versa, as they should both fuflill the same goal of making compact setups. Well anyways, here!
To get the long inserters to work properly can adjust code (where the IF statements are) to this in data.lua, could probably be even shorter code than this.

if bobmods and bobmods.config and bobmods.config.logistics then
  require("prototypes.bobs")
  LongInserters = bobmods.config.logistics.LongInserters
end

if LongInserters == true then
  require("prototypes.bobs-long")
end
And missing locale for express inserters. locale.cfg

purple-inserter-left=Left express inserter
purple-inserter-right=Right express inserter
Thank you for this upgrade to the side inserters mod, I have really been looking forward to side inserters of the bobs mod inserters. :D (and thanks to original author/s too) :D

Return to “Mods”