Combinator Issue

Bugs that are actually features.
Lupoviridae
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Combinator Issue

Post by Lupoviridae »

Found a bug with the combinators.

If the input and output "object" do not match, it will only ever output a count of "1", even if the output is set to "input count".

A couple pictures to demonstrate.
Bug1.PNG
Bug1.PNG (709.06 KiB) Viewed 6426 times
Bug2.PNG
Bug2.PNG (861.23 KiB) Viewed 6426 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Combinator Issue

Post by Rseding91 »

You have the combinatory set to "If input Green is 1, output input count" which logically will only ever be 1.

That's not a bug.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Lupoviridae
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Lupoviridae »

The UI suggests it should only be outputting the input count of the red signal.
Look at the second image, the input of 30 red is being ignored.

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

Hm, you are right, the ui is a bit confusing in this regard, but it is working as intended, it takes the input count of the selected item from the input. So the output "renames" the input.

To do what you want: do if green = 1, output "everything". You can then use another combinator to filter just the desired signal.
Everything, anything and each are special signals with special meanings.

GopherAtl
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GopherAtl »

came to check if this had been reported and clarified, I'm disappointed this is intended behavior. My expectation was that these were conditional gates, and if the test is true, the selected signal will be passed through to output (or generated as 1 for output regardless of input, if you tick output 1). If this is what it is, then that's what it is, and I haven't run into anything I can't accomplish with it working this way; just takes one extra arithmetic combiner, doing "<desired pass-through value> * <condition output>" with the decider's output ticked to "1" instead of input to produce the behavior I was expecting.

It's not clear to me at this point, having played a lot with combinators, that the implemented behavior to input value as output is useful or desirable in more cases than my expected behavior - certainly it hasn't been for me so far - but both have been a small minority compared to the cases where I am outputting 1 if true, anyway.
My Mods:
Nixie Tubes - numeric displays for your circuit networks!
Logistic Combinators - use logistics values in circuit logic! -
Autowire - automate red/green wire connections

Return to “Not a bug”