[WIP][0.11.22] Homeworld

Topics and discussion about specific mods
ljdp
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[WIP][0.11.22] Homeworld

Post by ljdp »

Homeworld changes the main objective of Factorio.
You must supply resources to your homeworld so that civilization can be restored.
Over time the population on the homeworld will require different needs as they progress through six tiers.
Reach a population of 100K at tier 6 to win.

You first spawn next to a portal. This is the portal to the homeland, you can't travel through it but you can send items into it. You start with a 15 minute grace period to get things running.

Once the portal is online the homeworld interface appears. In order for the population to grow you need to meet all the needs, if any of the needs are less than 15% satisfied the population will start to decline. In this case, once the population reaches above 5000 it will progress to tier 2 and it's needs will expand.

Homeworld adds a bunch of new production chains and buildings. One of which is the food production chain, which introduces the fishery that must be placed next to a source of water with fish. Farms yield crops depending on the pollution and soil richness.

Your people also love to drink. You'll want to start producing wine as early as possible as it takes a long time to mature.

There's also a production chain for building materials, which involves the sawmill and mining sand.
If you give this mod a whirl let me know how you get on :)

Todo/Possible features:
  • balancing
  • entity sprites
  • random needs / upgrade requirements
  • biter meat (a delicacy)
  • Notes from home?
  • make sure it works in multiplayer
Known Issues:
  • sometimes (not always) factorio will crash after an autosave
  • there is no actual end game state (tier 6 not yet implemented)
  • the game will error if it can't find a suitable spot to place the portal when you spawn. Fix: Regenerate the map.
Download:
Last edited by ljdp on Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:48 pm, edited 7 times in total.

ljdp
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [WIP] Homeworld

Post by ljdp »

I forgot to add the recipe for the distillery. If you've already started a game with homeworld, update the mod, reload the game and enter this command into chat

Code: Select all

/c game.player.force.resettechnologies()
If you're reading this and haven't downloaded homeworld yet, it's already updated ;)

ljdp
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ljdp »

Update to v0.0.2
Added sand collector.
Added synthetic sand recipe (5x wood + 5x plastic bar -> 20x wood).
Lowered sand richness.
Changed technology requirements.

https://github.com/perky/factorio-homew ... tag/v0.0.2

StanFear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by StanFear »

interesting,
will probably try it someday soon

just some suggestions :
  • factorio is about automating (i'm sur you're aware of that :p) so the idea you have about bitters' meat does not seem right to me (even more if you need a constant income of it)
  • the fishing building, maybe you could make it have to go on water (if you don't know how to do it, take a look at cursed-exp, th'ere is a building that is placed on watter in it)
  • for the crash about the portal not finding a suitable place to pop, maybe (again) takre a look at cursed-exp which make a building apear at game start

ljdp
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ljdp »

StanFear wrote:interesting,
will probably try it someday soon

just some suggestions :
  • factorio is about automating (i'm sur you're aware of that :p) so the idea you have about bitters' meat does not seem right to me (even more if you need a constant income of it)
  • the fishing building, maybe you could make it have to go on water (if you don't know how to do it, take a look at cursed-exp, th'ere is a building that is placed on watter in it)
  • for the crash about the portal not finding a suitable place to pop, maybe (again) takre a look at cursed-exp which make a building apear at game start
If I was to implement biter meat, I'd try to come up with some sort of system where robots can automatically pick up the meat. You could technically create a biter farm by creating a large perimeter wall around some spawners and turrets far enough to kill the biters but not the spawners.

I've just implemented placing the fishery on water, you need to use the long-handed inserter to reach it. It'll be in the next release. Thanks for the tip about cursed-exp, I'll take a look.

DoctorWho?
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DoctorWho? »

Can you pleade say what version this mod is for? It seems interesting, but I'm not sure what version it's for, and if it will work with the newest version :D

StanFear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by StanFear »

ljdp wrote:Thanks for the tip about cursed-exp, I'll take a look.

no problems, also, you probably could make the fisher a 2 step process, using pipes to send fishes to a treatment facility on the ground to do something (probably a bad idea for tier 1 items though :))

Finnboghi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [WIP][0.11.22] Homeworld

Post by Finnboghi »

EDIT - I'm an idiot, 30 seconds of digging uncovered the Test Mode mod. Downloaded and installed, and it works fine now.

You might want to mention that Test Mode is required, though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Does this mod use any resources from any other mods?

I really want to try it out, but I get an exception when it tries to load:

__test-mode__/styles/gui.png does not match any mod.

I've tried reinstalling Factorio, as well as redownloading the mod. I'm running 0.11.22, and have never used any other mods.

Any idea what test-mode is referring to?

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

I had suggestion to make something similar https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =6&t=13219
Instead of sending goods to homeworld, just build colony on planet. I will definitely try your mod.

ljdp
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ljdp »

I've been sanity checking the needs using the excellent foreman tool. See below for a flowchart of what you'll need, currently, for the end of the last tier.

http://i.imgur.com/fxQMnKH.png
Tier5
On the one hand, I want to encourage players to have, by the endgame, massive factories taking up a lot of space. On the other, I'm a terrible factorio player I don't know if these values are even possible. So I'll ask, what's the highest production rates (per minute) you've gotten in factorio for iron, copper, stone, coal and oil?

Shanix
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Shanix »

Looking at some of my old factories, I'd say those values are reasonable. I've hit ~5k/min on iron and copper plates before, but I've never had that high of stone input without running out in a few minutes. I'd venture and say those are viable values.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

The thing is you rarely keep mining stone hardcore style in vanilla, because its use is limited. If you needed more stone, you'd mine more :).
btw those quantities are OK, nothing unreachable.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Nafen
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Nafen »

ljdp wrote:Update to v0.0.2
Added sand collector.
20x wood? Shouldn't it say sand? :P

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

Synthetic sand? If it's anything like Earth, you'd have problem not finding sand.

ljdp
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ljdp »

Nafen wrote:
ljdp wrote:Update to v0.0.2
Added sand collector.
20x wood? Shouldn't it say sand? :P
lol. That's a typo, it should say synthetic wood. Also I've changed that to 1x raw wood + 1x plastic -> 30x wood.

Dreadicon
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Dreadicon »

So, I was trying to update this mod for the breaking game.on_* change to script.on_* and found that there's a second breaking change with no obvious easy fix: the removal of .on_save

the game's OnGameSave() function which is called from .on_save is as follows:

Code: Select all

local function OnGameSave()
	global.actors = actors
	global.guiButtonCallbacks = GUI.buttonCallbacks
	global.difficulty = difficulty

WaterDrain.OnSave()
end
I'm sure WaterDrain.OnSave is likewise converting local variables to global. Any ideas for fixes? would making the former local variables all global break anything? Thanks!

StanFear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by StanFear »

Dreadicon wrote: would making the former local variables all global break anything? Thanks!

it shouldn't
the game will handle it correctly, just check that there are no conflics after doing that in the mod !

Quazar
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Quazar »

This seems fun!

I got an error with 0.0.2 (that I didn't get with your previous), and the game won't even start!

2.416 Error Util.cpp:58: Error while loading entity prototype "sand-source" (resource): No such node (width)

Homeworld 0.0.2, Factorio 0.12.30

Roktaal
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Roktaal »

You are using old version of this mod. New version can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=94&t=23170

Quazar
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Quazar »

Whoops, thanks!

I wonder if this thread can be locked... doh!

Return to “Mods”