Just bought the game; What were Your first impressions?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
bigyihsuan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Just bought the game; What were Your first impressions?

Post by bigyihsuan »

My first impression is that I need to rebind the controls to something more like Minecraft. I keep right clicking to go into the machine GUIs.... :P
Last edited by bigyihsuan on Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

GewaltSam
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Just bought the game; What were our first impressions?

Post by GewaltSam »

Well, give the controls a chance, most key bindings are chosen with some thought. It's your decision though :)
My first impressions? Hmmm... Something like "why haven't I discovered this earlier?!?" :D

Smarty
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Just bought the game; What were Your first impressions?

Post by Smarty »

first impression?

the trains and the automation (and not using bots because they are cheaty)

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

bigyihsuan wrote:My first impression is that I need to rebind the controls to something more like Minecraft. I keep right clicking to go into the machine GUIs.... :P
Yes, we had it this way for a long time, but all the people were like.
Oooohhh, this is so unintuitive, I just want to click something and open it .....

I plan to do 2 profiles, and the player will choose which one he likes when the game starts for the first time.

Alfdaur
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Alfdaur »

First reaction to the demo: This is awesome!

I played the demo like for some 20 hours. And in demo, I mean the demo for their "kickstarter".

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

I have never played Minecraft, so the Factorio keybindings seem perfectly natural to me :)

My first impressions were - Ok, how do I make a freaking HUGE factory? :P

Lurch1985
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Lurch1985 »

First impression was outright confusion as to what to do, as is the case with any game I've put more than a hundred hours into over the last few years (KSP, Minecraft, Space Engineers, etc) and I'm sure it's the case with the rest of you too, but you're not admitting it! :D

When the haze of confusion lifted, I didn't notice, because I was already completely engrossed. :P

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

I thought "I better get defenses for the aliens" then i wasn't attacked at all and didn't see any on the map so i thought "oh i must have the difficulty on a peaceful mode or something" so i disregarded defense then just after setting up oil stuff i was attacked somewhere in my factory and locked inside the oil pipe jungle and took me while but i killed them all and avenged my fallen entities by conquering entire continents of the aliens home.

LordFedora
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by LordFedora »

kovarex wrote:
bigyihsuan wrote:My first impression is that I need to rebind the controls to something more like Minecraft. I keep right clicking to go into the machine GUIs.... :P
Yes, we had it this way for a long time, but all the people were like.
Oooohhh, this is so unintuitive, I just want to click something and open it .....

I plan to do 2 profiles, and the player will choose which one he likes when the game starts for the first time.
like a simple map with a box and a tool-tip to "open the box"

right click and left click both open the box and set the default key-bindings?

Yaua
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Yaua »

Keybindings are pretty good, the only key I had to remap is to enter/get out vehicule : "Enter Key" is too far for the others, and I putted the middle mouse button for this. The only little flaw is that I'm using an azerty keyboard, and I must switch to qwerty (or remap affected keys, but swith is not really painful). But that's not really a problem ^^

My first impression was in the demo (and since yesterday extended thanks to the full version) : it was a little bit incomprehension (that was first time I saw a game like this. I mean, Factorio is really a particular game, for the gameplay, art, gamedesign...and it was lot of months ago !). It disappeared (even if I still don't get lot of things) and after that, the feel of discovery (discover land, mechanics, ideas behind the game) and I was amazed by a lot of thing. And after, I was impressed : size of the maps, the ressources/objects you can produce... And in parallel, and still a little bit now, I feel slightly overwhelmed (so much to do everywhere). And too still small incomprehension for some things ("what the hell is the purpose of this thing ?"), fortunately, there's a wiki !
A great game, very unique in his kind :D

Lee_newsum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lee_newsum »

My first impression was YouTube "inzainia" https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... Oz08w-F_2U 0.8.0(be for oil) pop-up on my Recommended at the star of my 12h working day so 1-24 watched and wen i got home the "Buy Alpha" was next. :ugeek:

Jonathan88
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Jonathan88 »

Smarty wrote:
the trains and the automation (and not using bots because they are cheaty)
I used that principle for the first 50hours and eventually I gave in but it was worth it! "Oh no I've run out of advanced circuits!" 200 bots come along and feed me. "Oh no I've crashed into a pipe with my tank!" A construction not rebuilds it and fixes my tank.

I love this game!!!
FactoriOh No: when it's accidentally 2am, again

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Complete and utter confusion. Lol But after watching endless hours of YouTube videos on it to learn, I became completely engrossed, and still have an extremely difficult time stopping a playing session once I start. :p

Very unique and perhaps even strange game, Factorio. But amazing and addictive non the less. :D
Image Image Image

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

My first impression??

:D

Huhhhh, where are the 12 hours I have to sleep, because I am supposed to be working next day, are gone?? ...

It was the first time I have gone to work without an nightrest since some decades :)

(testing out the demo for 10 minutes, buying the game and forgetting about the time :))

Frostea
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Frostea »

My personal experience was: Oh I can build a machine to help me build more of... these other machines... And I can build a lot of them.... BUILD ALL THE MACHINES! :shock:

Seriously though, the game design boils down to: create machines that automate processes. Balance the processes and achieve research goals to get better machines to automate more processes and research more. Just this alone is enough for me to clock in a few hundred hours of gameplay, which is testament to the solid foundations of the game. I look forward to 0.12 where there is an actual endgoal. Here's to hoping it'll be a good one. :D

LordFedora
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by LordFedora »

... when is infinifactory coming out... infinifactory looks like, factorio? Sure I'll give it a shot, ooh trailer! Looks cool, wait is that... TRAINS!

Couldn't buy, torrented until I got the payment thing handled

Trains...

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

Hmm, probably who stole 8 hours of my life just now?

katyal
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by katyal »

Friend sent me a link to the trailer, then got the demo. Paused the demo to get full game ...went back to demo and finished it before starting my first game. Start my first game opened my inventory for first time and thought Wow!!! so much stuff not in the demo get through early game automate research, placed first lab and saw the entire tech tree for the first time !!! I lost at least eight hours :D

freshauser
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by freshauser »

I am loving Arumba's 'Four Factorio Fellows' Multiplayer lets play. I had to buy the game, I couldn't resist! There is just so much potential I felt it was important to give my money, the last time I bought a game in Alpha was Minecraft.

RMJ
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by RMJ »

Its a insanely good game.

The only control that confused me or seemed out of place was as other has mentioned the enter vehicle. its just what?? you have to move either hand like a half keyboard lenght. Enter is just such an odd and random key for anything. Especially since most of the time i need to get into the vehicle ASAP!. Because big bad ALIEN MOFO's are chasing me :P

Return to “General discussion”