Max players?

Arrange meetings with other people to play MP, announce your servers.
Maetra
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Max players?

Post by Maetra »

So I've been trying to play with 2 other people recently. however I'm running into a bit of a confusing issue.

One at a time can join. And only one at a time. If my other friend joins.. Friend #1 gets kicked out / diconnected and Friend #2 gets put in.
Then Friend #1 gets mad, rejoins. and kicks out Friend #2. They both fight over the map for probably 20 minutes.. until both of them get frustrated.. and I'm back to now friends?

Why can't I have friends? :)

Either way, anyone else have this issue? is there something im missing like a MAX Player variable im overlooking?

Any help would be appreciated.

Incase it matters. im portforwarding. used hamachi as well. tried tunngle too. all have the same results.

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Max players?

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

Multiplayer is in babyshoes right now.

No, something like a variable you did not missed. I Play with 3 friends sometimes together.We also have desyncs a lot but a 4 player game is possible without changing something in factorio.

To your problem, browse these forums and try some of the suggestions.This is the only help I can give at this moment :(

Maetra
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Maetra »

Completely understood. I love Alpha games honestly.. most of the time its hard for me to enjoy the game itself. I more enjoy "getting it working" rather than the actual experience...
Thats... sad.. but true. I'll keep working at some things. Thanks for the heads up

jeroon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jeroon »

What i've seen so far:

all computers need to be able to communicate with all other computers

- on windows, 64bit and 32bit clients sometimes don't mix
- 2 computers on one lan and one outside, where not all ports were forwarded
- users not being in the same hamachi session

I have been playing a 3 people session, so it's definitely possible.. maybe try one of the others being host for the initial connect?

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

jeroon wrote:What i've seen so far:

all computers need to be able to communicate with all other computers

- on windows, 64bit and 32bit clients sometimes don't mix
- 2 computers on one lan and one outside, where not all ports were forwarded
- users not being in the same hamachi session

I have been playing a 3 people session, so it's definitely possible.. maybe try one of the others being host for the initial connect?
This guy is right :-)

Hard limit on number of players is 65535. On the other hand anything more than 1 is pushing your luck right now :-)

jeroon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jeroon »

But you're planning on supporting 65k players at the same time for 0.12.0 right? Right? :mrgreen:

(you need only sell 15k more copies, and have them all log in at the same time :D )

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

jeroon wrote:But you're planning on supporting 65k players at the same time for 0.12.0 right? Right? :mrgreen:

(you need only sell 15k more copies, and have them all log in at the same time :D )
Pretty sure everyone would need to be on a LAN gigabit+ connection to have a chance of actually syncing. Even then, I'm pretty certain that everyone would die of old age before the last person finished connecting.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by drs9999 »

Has anyone actually tested/know how much data is tranfered while in-game without the pre-game map-transfer and or desyncs?

Maetra
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Maetra »

Wow. I can honestly say.. I've never received that much feed back from an alpha game that fast. Appreciate all the help!

first off. 2 of us are behind a router (lan) and 1 is outside (4 states "overish")
I have most certainly attempted to have not only the other person on LAN with me to host, but the person outside also has attempted to host and we all have the problem of 2 can play, zero issues. honestly. haven't had a stability issue yet that has been game altering or changing. Just when the 3rd player joins (no matter from which location) joins, the game does the usual, half a second halt, dims, then says player 2 disconnect, and player 3 connected, sending map.

Is there a current location for logs or such things to reside? anything like a normal game log or something that may show whats going on behind the scenes? for instance, dayz/mc/etc server/game has logs you can look at to tell what made the game crash etc. Understanding the game is in alpha, I assume it could just not be there yet, but I thought i'd ask anyhow.

I have remote desktop to the friend that's outside my network. so i'll be able to play with it for awhile and hopefully get it working. I'll report back if/when I find something.

For now, I can still enjoy the fun with 1 friend. :)

Maetra
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Maetra »

Ok, just wanted to update. Just tried with 3 pc's (all 64b, over LAN) and most certainly all 3 were in... for a moment...
then Factorio died on all 3 machines. :)

At least it worked.. if only for a few seconds... it was beautiful.

TigetMax
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by TigetMax »

I've played with 3 friends.
We havent used any LAN emulators then(now we do)
Multipayer is SO STABLE for a first release. I cant belive it.
Only problem we have that when someone connecting he might load map and then progressbar freezes.

GewaltSam
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GewaltSam »

Maetra wrote:Ok, just wanted to update. Just tried with 3 pc's (all 64b, over LAN) and most certainly all 3 were in... for a moment...
then Factorio died on all 3 machines. :)

At least it worked.. if only for a few seconds... it was beautiful.

Try it a few more times. I played with up to 2 other players, and sometimes it needs a few "tries" before we get it running. When all are connected it usually holds for 30-60 minutes, but the initial phase could take up to 30 minutes (relatively big map download already, and different errors and crashes).

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

Maetra wrote:Wow. I can honestly say.. I've never received that much feed back from an alpha game that fast. Appreciate all the help!

first off. 2 of us are behind a router (lan) and 1 is outside (4 states "overish")
I have most certainly attempted to have not only the other person on LAN with me to host, but the person outside also has attempted to host and we all have the problem of 2 can play, zero issues. honestly. haven't had a stability issue yet that has been game altering or changing. Just when the 3rd player joins (no matter from which location) joins, the game does the usual, half a second halt, dims, then says player 2 disconnect, and player 3 connected, sending map.
As slpwn said, there is no "host" per se.
That IP:Port is only used to setup connection to everyone else.

If one of these links fail, it desyncs.
So, you might need to change the port on one of the LAN-bound instance
and then forward BOTH the regular and changed port to the respective computers.

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

MF- wrote:If one of these links fail, it desyncs.
Not really, if one of the links fails, it drops a player that holds one end of the link (which one from the two it is is random).
Maetra wrote:first off. 2 of us are behind a router (lan) and 1 is outside (4 states "overish")
The problem is, that when the two players are in one LAN, they have their local IP addresses that are accessible only from the LAN and the problems appear when the addresses from internet vs from LAN mix up. In 0.11.2 there will at least be a detection of this state, but it's quite hard to solve this properly.

You could try starting the game using only the internet IP address (even the player on LAN should connect using the public IP. I'm not sure this will help, but there is a chance.
Otherwise try Hamachi, or some other VPN.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

cube wrote:You could try starting the game using only the internet IP address (even the player on LAN should connect using the public IP. I'm not sure this will help, but there is a chance.
Unfortunately, most NAT devices won't allow connections to the public IP from inside the LAN. I can think of some solutions involving some kind of central server purely to act as an assistant to clients needing to connect with each other (in the future, perhaps this could even be extended to form some kind of central lobby for people to find other players). This article appears to give a decent description of the concept of a master address server.

Of course, IPv6 would likely solve all these problems. Shame deployment is still progressing so slowly.
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

Return to “Multiplayer”