SPM

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
CJ5Boss
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

SPM

Post by CJ5Boss »

Hello all,
I keep hearing about "SPM bases" and how much "SPM" they have. I know this means "science per minute" but what kind of science exactly? 600 red science per minute? 600 of all science? Or is there something I am missing entirely?
Thank you very much as I want a way to be able to measure my own bases.
CJ

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: SPM

Post by Serenity »

All of the sciences. Except military maybe. Generally you just pump out infinite mining productivity and robot speed research

CJ5Boss
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by CJ5Boss »

Serenity wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:25 pm
All of the sciences. Except military maybe. Generally you just pump out infinite mining productivity and robot speed research
So in that case, the average of all sciences? Because gold science takes a lot longer to produce than red science does.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

Just build the right number of assembly machines to produce everything at the same rate.

One standard is to start with 10 red, 12 green, 10 military, 24 blue, 14 purple/production, 14 yellow/high tech. Note that this is twice the crafting time for sciences that produce one beaker per craft (red, green and blue) and the same number as the crafting time for the rest, which produce 2 beakers per craft.
In total it's 90 SPM with Assembly Machine 2 and 150 SPM with AM3. Not including space science from the rocket.

Truly large scale bases use beacons and modules to save raw materials and space/machines, which produces very different numbers.

See also:
https://kirkmcdonald.github.io/calc.html

JimBarracus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JimBarracus »

CJ5Boss wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:47 pm
So in that case, the average of all sciences? Because gold science takes a lot longer to produce than red science does.
1000spm means that your base can constantly supply 1000 science packs of every color (except military) per minute.

CJ5Boss
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by CJ5Boss »

JimBarracus wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:09 am
CJ5Boss wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:47 pm
1000spm means that your base can constantly supply 1000 science packs of every color (except military) per minute.
Ok,thanks. Just a question, why not military? Is it because of the immense crafting times for all of its components?

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

I consider military to be part of the 1k spm base challenge.
My 2k spm base researches robot follower count to consume every possible sci pack equally.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

CJ5Boss wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:01 pm
Ok,thanks. Just a question, why not military? Is it because of the immense crafting times for all of its components?
Why are you so hung up on crafting times. If the crafting time is longer you just need more assemblers

Look at the infinite research topics needing military science. They aren't that useful except maybe some levels of artillery improvement. For production mining productivity and robot worker speed get you the most

CJ5Boss
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by CJ5Boss »

Serenity wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:38 pm
CJ5Boss wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:01 pm
Why are you so hung up on crafting times. If the crafting time is longer you just need more assemblers

Look at the infinite research topics needing military science. They aren't that useful except maybe some levels of artillery improvement. For production mining productivity and robot worker speed get you the most
Just wondering! Thanks for explaining, I have never reached infinite researches before.

Return to “Gameplay Help”