Logical circuit for storage

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
VVSWarHead
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Logical circuit for storage

Post by VVSWarHead »

Hello all!
I'm trying to make a scheme that will allocate resources between the warehouse and the factory.
The basic idea is that:
1. If more resources are produced than consumed, the surplus is sent to the warehouse.
2. if resources are consumed more than produced, the warehouse supplies the factory
I can not understand how to configure a logical network to realize this, I ask for help.
explanation screen

disentius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Logical circuit for storage

Post by disentius »

One solution is using backpressure; no logistic network needed.

simple buffer warehouses.png
simple buffer warehouses.png (1.67 MiB) Viewed 2423 times

weaknespase
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by weaknespase »

I use "arrow buffer" (right on the picture) a lot in my designs, but sometimes use slower inserters when grabbing items from main belt.

Wisey
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Wisey »

If you want to use the setup you have in your picture just set the splitter at your factory gate to prioritise on the left for the in and out (and get rid of the coloured wires).

RinDiddy
Inserter
Inserter

Post by RinDiddy »

I kind of do that with my setups only in a different way. I set up circuits so that machines only take what they need. The materials go through the factory first. This is going to be difficult if you send a large amount of resources onto a one-way belt.

You'd be better off dividing your factory into regions, i.e. weapons, different sciences packs, etc. Then, send materials through multiple paths instead of just one, with the end of the belts leading to storage. This is too complex to explain really but I'm trying. The trick is to not overproduce science packs, which delves into equal science pack distribution between labs. One overproducing science pack can really bog down a ton of resources unnecessarily.

This also leads into lean-manufacturing as well as just-in-time practices.

A good place to start would be to send resources through multiple belts, using circuits to distribute based on the resources required. For example, you would send more iron to elec drills than you would for regular circuits. You could set up circuitry to do math but it seems easier just to eliminate additional logic and just handle things at the point of assembly.

Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Amarula »

I love coming to these forums, every day I get new ideas! Thank you disentius for both your designs, similar to things I have tried but definite improvements I can't wait to try. And thank you VVSWarHead for the question!
My own personal Factorio super-power - running out of power.

disentius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by disentius »

I made the "priority splitter" as example for this thread, but the arrow is certainly not mine.
(thanks for the compliment)

VVSWarHead
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by VVSWarHead »

Thank you all for your answers!
I recently found this print, tell me please how the green network works, why the condition of the belts is set to "25" ?
Is it possible to do something, that the belts is turned off, the stack-inserters are also turned off

source of this print

weaknespase
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by weaknespase »

Green network condition disables routing to storage if there is not much input to saturate the output. Everything else is storage balancer, usually used in train loading/unloading stations to ensure maximum loading/unloading speed - by disabling unloading from chests that have less items than rest or by disabling loading to chests that have more items than rest.

Return to “Gameplay Help”