Limit quote depth

Discussions related to the forums itself. Call for moderators. Trash Posts area.
SuperSandro2000
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Limit quote depth

Post by SuperSandro2000 »

Right now if you continuously quote a post you will get a massive monster post with quotes reaching all the way to the first post. Maybe it would be a good idea to limit the quote depth to 2. What do you think?

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Limit quote depth

Post by DaveMcW »

To forum admin: this is where you change it.

nesting.png
nesting.png (48.1 KiB) Viewed 2317 times

Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Amarula »

I like the idea of limiting the amount of material that can be quoted. I am not worried so much about the nesting depth, sometimes you need the depth to capture the context you want quoted. What gets me is a response to one sentence in a ten-paragraph long post, that quotes the entire ten paragraphs, and then that mess gets quoted without editing out the irrelevant bits. I would be happy to volunteer an hour a week to go through posts and replace any quotes over say ten lines with "TL;DR" :D
My own personal Factorio super-power - running out of power.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Amarula wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:00 pm
I like the idea of limiting the amount of material that can be quoted. I am not worried so much about the nesting depth, sometimes you need the depth to capture the context you want quoted. What gets me is a response to one sentence in a ten-paragraph long post, that quotes the entire ten paragraphs, and then that mess gets quoted without editing out the irrelevant bits. I would be happy to volunteer an hour a week to go through posts and replace any quotes over say ten lines with "TL;DR" :D
THIS!
+1

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

The necessity of a limit to nested quotes is debatable. There are arguments pro and con.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

I believe there is a limit currently - if I had to guess, I'd say maybe 6? I know I've run across it before. I try to trim the quotes the best I can while keeping context, though.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

I don't really see the problem, the number of nestings doesn't matter,
The problem is quoting huge essays without snipping or cutting out parts for brevity

Return to “This Forum”