Very High Chunk Generation Times

Bugs that are actually features.
Muppet9010
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Very High Chunk Generation Times

Post by Muppet9010 »

We are seeing very high chunk generation times, often leading to mass player drop on the MP server due to connection timeouts. When tested in SP a single chunk generation will pause the average players game for a moment and 10 chunks generated by a flying arty shell will cause the game to hang for over 10 seconds.

Example after the Map Generation has recently run with a time usage of 11,650.
Time Usage
Time Usage
unknown.png (106.34 KiB) Viewed 1209 times
This map was generated using a lot of mods, however, the issue is reproducible with no mods and so that is what I have attached.
Side note, there may be an onscreen gui left over from the scenario code that has been removed in this attachment.

Steps to reproduce using artillery to trigger chunk generation:
  1. load save
  2. take artillery remote and target as far north as possible with some void tiles below (i.e. not a path already generated)
  3. enjoy the hang
Steps to reproduce using player exploration:
  1. load save
  2. run command:

Code: Select all

/c game.player.teleport({-110, -6940})
  3. you have been teleported to the highest northen revealed area and map generation will trigger
Attachments
map generation issue.zip
save
(11.39 MiB) Downloaded 66 times

Muppet9010
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Very High Chunk Generation Times

Post by Muppet9010 »

on a side note deleting chunks off the map in bulk takes much longer than it did when the map was smaller. so we have previously deleted 100 chunks vertically off the map to regenerate the biters etc on it.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however one of the mods you're using/a console command changed map_settings.enemy_expansion.max_expansion_distance from the default 7 to 52. Since that distance is a radius that means every chunk generated went from checking 14 * 14 = 196 chunks to 104 * 104 = 10'816 chunks.

The generate map UI limits that value to 20 for a reason :P
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Muppet9010
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Muppet9010 »

Ah, thanks will hunt that down. Is there a trick we can use to have found this out ourselves?

Return to “Not a bug”