Train track highlight more than 5 cars?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
AngledLuffa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Train track highlight more than 5 cars?

Post by AngledLuffa »

When you place a rail signal on a track, it puts a highlight of 5 cars worth to show where the train can go. Is it possible to make that longer than 5 cars? I was thinking of reorganizing my railroad to allow for 8 or 10 car trains, and it would be kind of awkward to just guess at the right distance for 10 cars.

(Although I suppose a workaround is to put signals for 5 car trains and then remove half of them.)

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Train track highlight more than 5 cars?

Post by astroshak »

Since the means of adding and removing stuff from trains - be it fuel, fluid, or solid cargo - all require power to move onto and off of the train, I simply put Medium Power Poles between each indicated car segment, whether its to be a Locomotive, Cargo Wagon, or Fluid Wagon.

No guesswork needed for train length that way, since they’re clearly marked by the power poles.

Greybeard_LXI
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Greybeard_LXI »

For the main line you can create a blue print eight or 10 cars long. You could also use that as a measuring stick for other uses, just a bit difficult when curves are involved.

AngledLuffa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AngledLuffa »

Both are good ideas, thanks! I think I like the blueprint idea more, as it works away from the stations.

Still, if there's a way to make the game do the highlighting for us, that would make it easier to handle curves, as you say.

JimBarracus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JimBarracus »

try using the chunk aligned rails
it makes buildung train tracks way easier

Return to “Gameplay Help”