[0.16.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Some mods, made by Bob. Basically streaks every Factroio-area.

Moderator: bobingabout

Recon777
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.16.x] Bob's Mods: General Discussion

Post by Recon777 »

Question for everyone. What is the highest Science Per Minute you have sustained in your Bob's builds?

I've been working on preparing a mega-base worthy science production facility and I had no idea what to target for science per minute. So I went ahead and built something that makes red, green, and blue science at 13,000 per minute.

I'm starting to think I may have reached the status of "overkill".

Then, I took a long look at the High Tech science recipe and about fainted when I considered the sheer quantity of materials needed to do 13k for THAT. I may have to scale it down to 1k SPM.

But anyway I'm really curious what you guys have achieved.

NeilN
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by NeilN »

Is there something off about personal solar panels (Warfare)? Level 1 outputs 45 kw, level 2 is 15 kw, level 3 is 25 kw.

Schallfalke
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Schallfalke »

Hi Bob and the community,

I am a new mod maker and thus just decided to register my account in this forum. (Although I have played this game for quite some time...)

Looking at how the experienced mod makers handle their mods, I have found the license of Bob's mods have the right amount of terms in my taste: copyright protection (no derivative works, no commercial use) and fair use (allow redistribution, allow include in mod packs).

So my question is, can I use this same license in my own mods, with explicitly stated link URL: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=28573, whenever it is used (included as a "LICENSE" file inside the mod ZIP file)?

To make things perfect, I have spotted misspellings in your license document. I am pointing them out as below:
License:
Since the old one seems to have gone missing... again... here is the license.

No Commercial Use - You are not allowed to make money off my work.
No Modification - Although I can't stop you from looking at my code, you are not allowed to distribute anything altered, or derived from my code without expressed permission first.
Distribution - You are allowed to redistribute my mods as is. This includes being repackaged as part of a mod pack.
Private Use - I am not imposing any limitations on private use, if you want to modify my work, or create your own using parts of mine, you are free to do so, as long as this altered or derived work does not become accessible to the public.

That about covers the basics...
Exceptions to the no modification rule include:

Minor bug fixes/tweak for compatibility reasons, such as altering the dependencies line in info.json to force a load order in a modpack.
Config - Any config.lua file, including in the config mod may be edited and freely redistributed

Any further modifications, such as changing values of entities/recipes in my mods should be done externally in another mod, similar to how my own has dynamic recipes, or enables/disables certain things as needed.
An example of such a mod is this by Athmagor viewtopic.php?f=51&t=16786

If you would like to use any extracts from this mod in your own, please talk to me about it first.
Thanks for your attention,
Schall

ukezi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ukezi »

There is no copyright on licences.

Schallfalke
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Schallfalke »

ukezi wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:25 pm
There is no copyright on licences.
I was not sure if it counts as part of his mod, and extracting this part (instead of whole mod unaltered) would count as derivative work... I am totally unfamiliar with legal terms, so just to be sure not to make anyone unhappy because of my ignorance.

Thanks for the info and answer. :D
Now I can publish some more serious mods, using Bob's Copyright License. 8-)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

NeilN wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:13 pm
Is there something off about personal solar panels (Warfare)? Level 1 outputs 45 kw, level 2 is 15 kw, level 3 is 25 kw.
I'm guessing the original was buffed at some point (most likely in someone elses mod?) and it slipped past me.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

NeilN
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by NeilN »

The original Portable solar panel has this mod path: Base mod > Bob's Warfare. I don't think I'm running any other mod that affects the output values.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

NeilN wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:00 pm
The original Portable solar panel has this mod path: Base mod > Bob's Warfare. I don't think I'm running any other mod that affects the output values.
Then it was likely improved, and that snuck past me.
I also have a Patreon.

septemberWaves
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by septemberWaves »

Apologies if this has already been pointed out, but with the inserter overhaul the express inserters seem oddly placed in the research tree. They appear in the logistics 3 research, as would be expected - but they also appear under filter inserters (a research node apparently added by AAI Industries) and automation 2, both of which are red science (although it's impossible to actually make the inserters without the higher-tier ingredients). It seems that AAI Industries is affecting this in some way, but I don't know if it's an AAI issue or if it's something to do with the inserter overhaul making things strange; should this be reported to the AAI developer instead?

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

septemberWaves wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:03 pm
Apologies if this has already been pointed out, but with the inserter overhaul the express inserters seem oddly placed in the research tree. They appear in the logistics 3 research, as would be expected - but they also appear under filter inserters (a research node apparently added by AAI Industries) and automation 2, both of which are red science (although it's impossible to actually make the inserters without the higher-tier ingredients). It seems that AAI Industries is affecting this in some way, but I don't know if it's an AAI issue or if it's something to do with the inserter overhaul making things strange; should this be reported to the AAI developer instead?
Express is blue, with blue express belts, and should be on Tier 3 with the overhaul. I'm fairly sure that I set things up properly, so my mod by itself would account for this and remove it from the lower tech tree. I can't check it right now though unfortunately.
in any case, I'm going to say that it probably is AAI creating duplicate unlocks.
I also have a Patreon.

septemberWaves
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by septemberWaves »

I will report it to the AAI developer. It's probably because AAI modifies a few things at the beginning of the tech tree, but doesn't account for whether the inserter overhaul is being used.

bushbaby1234
Inserter
Inserter

Post by bushbaby1234 »

does anyone know how the game handles having different tiers of bots in the network at the same time? does it prefer the faster ones?

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mexmer »

bushbaby1234 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:52 pm
does anyone know how the game handles having different tiers of bots in the network at the same time? does it prefer the faster ones?
game doesn't differentiate between bot tiers, just gets idle ones to assign them to task.

bushbaby1234
Inserter
Inserter

Post by bushbaby1234 »

[/quote]

game doesn't differentiate between bot tiers, just gets idle ones to assign them to task.
[/quote]

ouch. that sucks. thanks for the info though

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

Why does pure water override ground water when you enable it? I think regular ground water would still be useful if you play with very low water. Though I guess it would compete with other liquids for resource generation
It seems the only way to use water pump jacks to get normal water is to enable boring everywhere

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mexmer »

Serenity wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:43 pm
Why does pure water override ground water when you enable it? I think regular ground water would still be useful if you play with very low water. Though I guess it would compete with other liquids for resource generation
It seems the only way to use water pump jacks to get normal water is to enable boring everywhere
If it’s boring everywhere, then why you live? :mrgreen:

Anyways yes,i found only mining bores to be solution for low water maps.

RocketManChronicles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by RocketManChronicles »

mexmer wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:44 pm
Serenity wrote:

I did a playthrough in 0.16 that "only the starting area had water" in the settings. I had a ton of pumps around the perimeter of that lake and just loaded tank cars full and railroaded it out to parts of the factory. Felt a sense of accomplishment that I had water trains running around the factory. :)

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mexmer »

RocketManChronicles wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:04 pm
mexmer wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:44 pm
Serenity wrote:

I did a playthrough in 0.16 that "only the starting area had water" in the settings. I had a ton of pumps around the perimeter of that lake and just loaded tank cars full and railroaded it out to parts of the factory. Felt a sense of accomplishment that I had water trains running around the factory. :)
Yes, with bobs it’s possible. With vanilla tankers will be painfull.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

I have the canal builder mod. So I can extend a bit when there is a small lake somewhere. Especially useful for nuclear power plants

Yeah, water trains might be fun :)

Recon777
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Recon777 »

I just learned that pickaxes are going away in 0.17 as an item. Will Bob's Mods still have a set of speed upgrades that will behave like they do currently, with diamonds giving very good speed? Or is there something entirely new planned?

Also, will there be a 0.17 discussion thread soon? There are a lot of changes coming and it'd be great to have a place to talk about them. Unless I'm blind and simply haven't seen it.

Return to “Bob's mods”