[0.16.51] Friends are unable to connect via public games list or steam

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Markis_Jr.
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.16.51] Friends are unable to connect via public games list or steam

Post by Markis_Jr. »

TL;DR:
When a friend tries to connect via the public games list or steam, they receive a network error, I can still join games (most of the time).

Please Note:
This issue of my friends not being able to connect to my games started to happen out of the blue, it has been an issue for a while and I'm not quite sure when it started to occur, but I am certain it started happening well after the last stable version of 0.16 came out. Since it has stopped working I have just been relying on friends to host. To my knowledge I made no changes to the game, was not playing with any mods or changed my networking setup. Also when I do host my server, I get the normal "Matching server connection resumed" and according to my friends, the server shows up on the public list but will not display the server ping.
One more thing, when I join friends via public list of steam I always have to do it a second time as the first time I do it I'm guaranteed to get this error:

Also I am sorry if I have missed a thread containing information that is similar to my problem, I have gone through the steps recommended including using advanced search etc. If you know of a post containing an answer to my problem please link it, cheers.

How to reproduce my problem:
I am running the latest stable version of Factorio with no mods.
I have a fresh install of Factorio and yet, when I host a game no friends can join. These are the options I set when hosting a game (note I've just put a one character password for this case):

What have I done to try and solve the issue?
So far I have deleted the TCP and UDP protocols and let the game regenerate them by giving permission to make firewall changes after hosting a new game. I have also deleted the config.ini file (although I believe it has nothing to do with networking), I have tried port forwarding on my router, I have completely uninstalled the game from steam multiple times and I have verified game files multiple times.

I know it's rude to ask but a response as soon as possible would be awesome.
Cheers,
Markis_Jr.

EDIT: Added more information relating to the issue
Attachments
factorio-current(host).log
My log file of when a friend tries to join
(6.36 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
factorio-current(friend).log
My friends log file when he tries to join me
(4.86 KiB) Downloaded 33 times

Markis_Jr.
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [0.16.51] Friends are unable to connect via public games list or steam

Post by Markis_Jr. »

Sorry to bump, but I've had no reply and it has nearly been a month.
Cheers

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

The connecting party does not get a response from the host, this is an unspecific issue and usually caused by misconfigured network hardware, defect network hardware or ISP limitations. You can try to swap out router or switch if you have spares, or try to test UDP connection between both parties but that is quite complicated to do. The next version of the game will provide connection via the steam servers but the release is still about a month out.

Markis_Jr.
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Markis_Jr. »

Loewchen wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:26 am
The connecting party does not get a response from the host, this is an unspecific issue and usually caused by misconfigured network hardware, defect network hardware or ISP limitations. You can try to swap out router or switch if you have spares, or try to test UDP connection between both parties but that is quite complicated to do. The next version of the game will provide connection via the steam servers but the release is still about a month out.
Hazzah! This makes sense now, roughly when my Factorio stopped working I'm pretty sure I swapped ISPs! I'm almost certain this is not my network hardware as I used the same router and FTEC (fibre to ethernet converter) before I started having the issues. I could go to the trouble of contacting my ISP and figuring it out as they are locally owned and have decent support but, I'm leaning towards waiting for steam server hosting that I know will definitely work.
Cheers!

Return to “Technical Help”