[Forum Admins] A Message.

Discussions related to the forums itself. Call for moderators. Trash Posts area.
GoldenPorkchop80
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[Forum Admins] A Message.

Post by GoldenPorkchop80 »

Not sure if this is spam, or an actual person trying to contact the forum admins. This person is emailing me thinking that I am a admin on this site. Looks like he wants to advertise here. If you want to take a look, here's the text output:

Code: Select all

RE: Factorio Forums ? View topic - Tapatalk
Inbox

Samuel jacobs <samueljacobs001@gmail.com>
Oct 13, 2018, 2:55 AM (2 days ago)
to me

Hi there,
I reached out last week but haven't heard back. I wanted to see if there was an opportunity to sponsor a post on your site.
Please see my initial email below.
Best wishes,
Samuel

On Thu, Oct 4, 2018 at 12:50 PM, Samuel jacobs <samueljacobs001@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi there,
I just read Factorio Forums ? View topic - Tapatalk, I've shown it to some colleagues and we think a collaboration between us could work well. 

I represent a digital marketing agency.  We would like to feature a unique piece of content on your site on behalf of our client. For the privilege, we'd be happy to pay you somewhere in the region of $75. Would you also be willing to accept link placements on pre-existing content on your site? Would you also be willing to accept link placements on pre-existing content on your site?

Let me know your thoughts.

Best wishes,

Samuel

Don't want emails from us anymore? Reply to this email with the word "UNSUBSCRIBE" in the subject line.

Don't want emails from us anymore? Reply to this email with the word "UNSUBSCRIBE" in the subject line.

EOF.
If the admins want to take it from here, please do. I need my professional email to be relatively free from spam, as I get messages concerning jobs and financials there.
Thanks.
Contact me:
telnet.Telehack.com (My username is gpc80)
Steam
Twitch.tv
Reddit
Email:redrouster2000@gmail.com (Mods, Admins, and Game Devs ONLY! Anyone else will be blocked on my email, and on this forum)
Hamachi VPN: Please send me a PM for network info.
Forums: Send me a PM

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [Forum Admins] A Message.

Post by Jap2.0 »

Just googling this I found this (second request), this, and this so I have no idea if he's some annoying marketer who's looking to place online ads or if he's a spammer or even what the difference would be, but I thought I'd just put that out there.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

This is a quite smart spam message.
Maybe is it a bot set up by those who broke into your email account last year, and saw you're receiving notifications from Factorio Forum ?
You can report it as spam, and forget it. You can also check the domain name of the unsubscribe link (without actually opening the link).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

That message reeks of spam so much i can smell it through my monitor. The superflous spaces, the doubling of sentence parts, the weird question marks, the fact that it cites "View Topic" as a topic. The fixed and low amount they're offering to pay, and the fact that they're even calling prices in the first email at all. I can't imagine this being anything else than someone trying to find a good platform to host his malicious code by automatically sending as many "offers" as he can. On my own domain i do get similar messages once in a while - and my domain doesn't host anything.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

a unique piece of content
You mean a unique piece of malware?
@Koub I'm guessing they just had a bot find his email in his signature.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Return to “This Forum”