Friday Facts #263 - Trains in blueprints

Regular reports on Factorio development.
bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #263 - Trains in blueprints

Post by bobucles »

My question: if you have a mod that includes allowing equipment grids in a train, does the train's equipment gets added in the blueprint?
I guess a more general question would be "what sort of modded elements can a blueprint handle"? If a modder can add completely new elements to a blueprint that would be pretty impressive but at the same time it'd be no good to have the blueprint system break or start corrupting BPs because of a mod.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Serenity wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:40 pm
deer_buster wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:31 pm
Well, another tweak would be making filtering cargo wagons easier
Oh yes please. Leaving the middle mouse button pressed should allow you drag the filter over the other slots
Shift right click -> shift left click = copy & paste
How more easier?

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

steinio wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:43 pm
How more easier?
That requires a lot of clicking in this case

Philip017
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Philip017 »

love to see upgrade planner being included, and with the trains also now being included, im going to need more than one book for trains! this is not a bad thing.

wonder if upgrade planner will allow insertion of modules similar to module inserter https://mods.factorio.com/mod/ModuleInserter that i use now to put modules in my machines after i have built them.

module inserter requires that i have the modules in my pocket, instead of allowing them to be requested my the base's network as well.

a method of using upgrade planner to paste the modules also using the base's network, would be awesome.

i generally go from having no modules blue machines, swipe over with upgrade planner to change them to yellow machines, and then again with module inserter to put in the modules.
my usual problem is i don't have enough modules, and have to work in batches while i wait for more to be made, if they were summoned by the network as well they will be delivered as they are made. but probably not in any organized way. i like one module per machine then once they all have one, add the second, third, forth. which i do manually with module inserter, until they are all done.

at any rate i look forward to seeing how it works once released and looking forward to playing it.

Dry Hairy Tree
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dry Hairy Tree »

Ditto on wanting Cargo Wagon Filters in blueprints too. These can really slow you down to redo and are easily wiped if not needed.

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by factoriouzr »

This is great guys!!!

I have been asking for all these blueprint improvements for a long time (blueprinting trains, upgrade planner etc). I'm glad they are being added to the game.

Please also add the following:
  • re-taking/upgrading existing blueprints in the sense that I have an existing blueprint, I make a change to the buildings in the world and I want to override my blueprint with the updated buildings from the game world while keeping the icons, description and the checkboxes of what to blueprint (eg trains, train stops etc) from my existing blueprint (ie. it's really annoying to have to retype the description, put back the icons and remember to check the same boxes again).
  • logistics trains and cargo wagons so the robots can take and put things into the trains when they are stopped
  • allow factories that are put down via blueprint to set their recipes even when the required research is not yet complete
  • add actual schedule management outside of trains in a dedicated GUI and then allow assigning schedules to multiple trains. Then when you change the schedule in the GUI, all trains are updated automatically
Keep up the great work guys and girls. Looking forward to this update.

:)

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by factoriouzr »

steinio wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:43 pm
Serenity wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:40 pm
deer_buster wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:31 pm
Well, another tweak would be making filtering cargo wagons easier
Oh yes please. Leaving the middle mouse button pressed should allow you drag the filter over the other slots
How more easier?
I believe the current copy/paste requires one paste action for every cell of inventory which is not as easy as click and drag or a fill option.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

Train improvements are very welcome!!!

Lubricus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lubricus »

Philip017 wrote: ↑
Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:00 am
love to see upgrade planner being included, and with the trains also now being included, im going to need more than one book for trains! this is not a bad thing.

wonder if upgrade planner will allow insertion of modules similar to module inserter https://mods.factorio.com/mod/ModuleInserter that i use now to put modules in my machines after i have built them.

module inserter requires that i have the modules in my pocket, instead of allowing them to be requested my the base's network as well.

a method of using upgrade planner to paste the modules also using the base's network, would be awesome.

i generally go from having no modules blue machines, swipe over with upgrade planner to change them to yellow machines, and then again with module inserter to put in the modules.
my usual problem is i don't have enough modules, and have to work in batches while i wait for more to be made, if they were summoned by the network as well they will be delivered as they are made. but probably not in any organized way. i like one module per machine then once they all have one, add the second, third, forth. which i do manually with module inserter, until they are all done.

at any rate i look forward to seeing how it works once released and looking forward to playing it.
Inserting f.ex. 3 production modules and 1 speed module in a row of assemblers is a pain (if I haven't missed some vanilla tricks) So i will test the mod.
And it would be great if there were some vanilla solution so you could order the bot to not only "upgrade" the modules but also change the amount of different types of modules in the assemblers.

arrow in my gluteus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by arrow in my gluteus »

giving source access to stranger sometimes helps us
wait, how did he get access? did he just ask?

pleegwat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by pleegwat »

Rather than (or as part of) logistics cargo wagons, I think you would want to have logistics train stations. The idea would be that the station controls the logistics role played by the wagons, so the same wagon would act as a requester chest at the requester station located near the mall, as a storage chest at the storage station near the outpost you are building, and could similarly be a passive or active provider at appropriate stations. You would likely require both the station and the wagon to be in the same logistics network.

Durabys
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Durabys »

I am surprised Xterminator or Nilaus haven't made a comment yet. I would have expected them to squeal from joy and go all dreamy with this update.

Blacky007
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blacky007 »

@ Dev - is it possible to add a button into a trainstation - "allow trains through the station" (no penalty in pathfinding)
My color birthday was May 2nd 2020 - Thank you Enchroma

Lubricus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lubricus »

factoriouzr wrote: ↑
Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:50 am
  • logistics trains and cargo wagons so the robots can take and put things into the trains when they are stopped
That would be overpowered and remove an fun part of the game.

someone1337
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by someone1337 »

FINALLY blueprintable trains, schedules and hopefully wagon filters! <3

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

Philip017 wrote: ↑
Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:00 am
I hope so. I think that could be easily implemented by having the old slot empty and the new slot containing the module. At least for stuffing a machine full of the same type of module. Fewer modules or mixed ones less so.
Last edited by Serenity on Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foodfactorio »

ive seen vids by nilhaus and xterm, cool stuff, especially while eating food :)

actually, with the recent Friday Facts about Fluids and Undo feature, what would happen in the following situation? :

- players 1 and 2, start building a long set of pipes,
- player 1 starts on the left, and player 2 starts on the right (building straight pipe towards each other that will meet in the middle - a bit like Lady and the Tramp eating spaghetti) :)
lady-tramp-body.png
lady-tramp-body.png (197.63 KiB) Viewed 5755 times
- but due the multiplayer latency, player 1 makes the Middle piece join another vertical pipe, and FLuid starts to flow, but player 2 still sees it un-joined,

what happens when any of the 2 players tries an undo?
will player 1 be able to undo the middle (joining 3 way piece), and undo the flow if it joined the wrong Fluid?
and what would player 2 see?

for example:

. . . . . . . . . |
. . . . . . . . . |
. . . . . . . . .\|/
(existing oil pipe above going down)

----------> (player 1 building to the right)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . <---------- (player 2 building to the left)

and when player 1 places the middle piece, it joins their Left pipe section + player 2's Right pipe section + makes a T-junction as it joins the existing oil pipe going vertically down.
(also me from the mod portal - im not dustine lol) = https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Dustine/ ... ssion/9108
my 1st Mod Idea :) viewtopic.php?f=33&t=50256

POPISowyNumer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by POPISowyNumer »

>blueprintable cargo trains

are you trying to make the belts obsolete?
cause you're damn close to it

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

While you're working on latency hiding, can someone have a look at the behavior of script-induced player.walking_state? (see my old thread) If there's interest i can come up with a demonstration mod / videos etcpp.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: ζ—₯本θͺž, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Durabys
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Durabys »

POPISowyNumer wrote: ↑
Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:11 am
>blueprintable cargo trains

are you trying to make the belts obsolete?
cause you're damn close to it
There is a very easy solution: Make special Loading and Unloading structures specifically for train wagons (like in Real Life) that can only use Belt Loader/Unloader to get stuff in or out of wagons and disable the ability of inserters to pull things directly out of wagons.

Done!

Return to β€œNews”