Compilation of GUI ideas

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

PeteTheLich
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Compilation of GUI ideas

Post by PeteTheLich »

Sorry if it's against the rules making a c-c-combo post I just didn't want to spam 5 threads all at once.

This is a list of idea that came to me that would be pleasant changes to the GUI (in my opinion)

TLDR: There are 5 suggestions in this post
1. Logo on pause menu + quicksave
2. Unique turret indicators
3. Save game dialog box tweaks + overwrite confirmation
4. Direction of belt ghost.
5. Sidebar Info simple/detail view

changing the pause menu from GAME to the Factorio logo
in addition a "quick save" button to save the game. I tend to save often and keep my auto save lower in case something catastrophic happens.

Chaging the color of different Turrets to show what kind of turret/ranges.
Flamethrower turrets do not have to have the flair since im sure the range indicator is drawn mathmatically.

Example "in game" :

A belt ghost direction indicator very useful for building very zoomed especially at night

Changes to the "save game" dialog box:
1. Add the name of the currently open world
2. Change "Map name:" to "Map type:" since my save is definitely not called freeplay
3. When attempting to save over a different save give a confirmation notice.

Condencing the sidebar to only show relevant info

but also expands to give details.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Compilation of GUI ideas

Post by darkfrei »

(Double-)Click on mod dependencies enables this dependency.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

PeteTheLich wrote:Sorry if it's against the rules making a c-c-combo post I just didn't want to spam 5 threads all at once.
Bah it's OK. Idea compilations are just motsly a waste of time for the OP, because in spite of all the hard work, they're usually not usable. discussions turn into a cacophony, every contributor to the topic commenting a different part of the OP.
Such topic usually get lost quickly in the depths of the suggestions subforum. But it's not a crime :).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

thedarkbunny
Inserter
Inserter

Post by thedarkbunny »

Addressing these in order:

A dedicated quicksave button and/or hotkey is almost never a bad idea. As for the logo needing to be on the game menu, I'll reserve judgement until I see what the menu looks like post-GUI-update.

Useful, but hard to pull off for densely-packed turrets while still making it look good.

Yes to all.

Agreed. Realizing you've just laid a hundred tiles of belt that are facing the wrong way is one of life's little miseries.

Not sure how that one would work. If the sidebar displays info for what's under your mouse cursor, how would you click on the dropdown?

PeteTheLich
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by PeteTheLich »

Koub wrote:
PeteTheLich wrote:Sorry if it's against the rules making a c-c-combo post I just didn't want to spam 5 threads all at once.
Bah it's OK. Idea compilations are just motsly a waste of time for the OP, because in spite of all the hard work, they're usually not usable. discussions turn into a cacophony, every contributor to the topic commenting a different part of the OP.
Such topic usually get lost quickly in the depths of the suggestions subforum. But it's not a crime :).
I will keep that in mind in the future and let the ideas trickle in :P

thedarkbunny wrote:Addressing these in order:

A dedicated quicksave button and/or hotkey is almost never a bad idea. As for the logo needing to be on the game menu, I'll reserve judgement until I see what the menu looks like post-GUI-update.

Useful, but hard to pull off for densely-packed turrets while still making it look good.

Yes to all.

Agreed. Realizing you've just laid a hundred tiles of belt that are facing the wrong way is one of life's little miseries.

Not sure how that one would work. If the sidebar displays info for what's under your mouse cursor, how would you click on the dropdown?
1. well the menu is just kind of strange stating "Game"
so changing to Factroio would be a nice touch in my opinion.
The quick save just protects me from myself by not giving me the opportunity to overwrite my saves.

2. I dont imagine it would hardly change since dense turrets would just be a solid color and all the turrets. Im not sure how it would turn out with many turrets at different ranges behind the wall.

3. I think this is something the mods are working on already anyway since something akin to it was mentioned in a FFF but I tend to sausage finger my saves and lose them :(

4. I do it quite often when building at night time :/

5. I would imagine it would be a ON/OFF for ALL machines and it could be something like the inserter arrows where if you want the details pane always visable it can be enabled.

skratic
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by skratic »

I love the idea of having belt direction indicators.

voddan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by voddan »

Oddly enough, I like all of the proposed ideas.
Especially collapsing the side bar. I had many times when it randomly intervened with my work by hiding buildings I needed, so I had to move the character. Very annoying!

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”