[Poll] Battery design that stabilizes 0.16.51

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.

Should the battery design stay the way it is in 0.15.51?

Yes, I like the current one better than the previous one.
26%
No, I admit I liked the previous design better. (Maybe come up with something similar.)
39%
No, come up with something different and possibly unique to Factorio.
34%

Total votes: 76

Escadin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [Poll] Battery design that stabilizes 0.16.51

Post by Escadin »

Gergely wrote:How the hell was it out of place?]
I already told you: Because it looks like taken straight form a sales catalog picture.

The battery looks exactly like a real life battery you can buy at the super market in mint condition while everything else in the game looks like halfhazardly thrown together scraps and prototype tech. It massively clashes with the visual theme of the game and always looked like a placeholder. It's a good thing they got rid of it.

Gergely wrote:I highly dislike the one they currently have... I mean just look at it:
That's just your subjective opinion. I look at it and I like what I see.
"--? How are commands compounded in a compounded compound command commanding compound composts." -defines.lua

4xel
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by 4xel »

Gergely wrote: Oh really? Almost every game that has some sort of batteries in it uses the very same design the Factorio developers had to change for mysterious reasons. How the hell was it out of place?

Come on! The image you show are litteraly 1.5V toy batteries! Like litteraly powering a toy or smaller than a light bulb.
Oktokolo wrote: [...]
I'm not a huge fan of the predominance of white since it makes it a bit too close to iron and steel. To that regard, light blue is a very interesting choice of color, though it'll probably needs me some getting use to it.

Other than that, the model is gorgeous and very clean. Simple yet looks a lot more like a big battery than like an AA one.

I'd like to know the opinion about your model of people prefering the old battery.

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

Escadin wrote:That's just your subjective opinion. I look at it and I like what I see.
Well then THIS is YOUR subjective opinion:
Escadin wrote:The battery looks exactly like a real life battery you can buy at the super market in mint condition
What? I don't buy those batteries! The shops where I go don't even put this thing right before cash desks so that I can stare at it while waiting and think "I might need some batteries". I only use rechargeable ones. In fact, ALL of my real life batteries are pure white, stored in the charger mounted on the wall until I need them. So what do you expect?

To me, it does not look like it was taken from a "sales catalog picture". (whatever that is) To me, it looks like a very common battery design in games and software that deal with simulating electricity. It even has a lightning bolt as a distinctive mark: Image
Escadin wrote:everything else in the game looks like halfhazardly thrown together scraps and prototype tech.
Well show me at least three non-place-able and non-equip-able items in Factorio that do look "like halfhazardly thrown together scrap". (Other than the current battery, of course.) Only placed entities look like scrap. Mostly.
Escadin wrote:It massively clashes with the visual theme of the game
Oh, does it really?
Attachment list
4xel wrote:Come on! The image you show are litteraly 1.5V toy batteries! Like litteraly powering a toy or smaller than a light bulb.
In Yenka, the default voltage for batteries is 9 V, and I just set them down to 1.5 V on purpose because at 18 V the lamp goes boom.
Last edited by Gergely on Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] There is nothing to discuss about the old design. Forget it. As long as it's Duracell's trademark, they have the right to defend it. Remember the topic is about voting for a new new design or for keeping the current new design.

On a personal note, whoever wants to can sue Duracell for not wanting this design to represent a generic battery. If Duracell loses, I'm sure the devs will be OK to revert. But I'm also sure the devs don't want to invest money in a trial.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Escadin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Escadin »

Gergely wrote:
Escadin wrote:That's just your subjective opinion. I look at it and I like what I see.
Well then THIS is YOUR subjective opinion:
Escadin wrote:The battery looks exactly like a real life battery you can buy at the super market in mint condition
What? I don't buy those batteries! The shops where I go don't even put this thing right before cash desks so that I can stare at it while waiting and think "I might need some batteries". I only use rechargeable ones. In fact, ALL of my real life batteries are pure white with black text about usage, stored in the charger mounted on the wall until I need them. So what do you expect?
I struggle to understand what you're saying but I suggest glasses if you think there is no objective similarity between
this:

and this:

Well they might not have those in your country come to think of it.

Anyway, I voted to keep the design we have now. I like it and if anything I'd much rather see them rework the battery entity (the one we use in conjunction with solar panels) to look less clean.That's it from my side. Have nice day.
"--? How are commands compounded in a compounded compound command commanding compound composts." -defines.lua

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

4xel wrote:
Oktokolo wrote:[...]
I'm not a huge fan of the predominance of white since it makes it a bit too close to iron and steel. To that regard, light blue is a very interesting choice of color, though it'll probably needs me some getting use to it. Other than that, the model is gorgeous and very clean. Simple yet looks a lot more like a big battery than like an AA one.
I tried to keep my version near the original regarding shape and color while getting rid of the cables and lights.
After recreating the look of the cylinder i needed something to make it more interesting than a barrel. So i added a color accent to the top cap inspired by the lights of the original design.
My version is designed to be as unintrusive as it can be while still beeing recognizable when looking for it (so i can quickly check whether there are enough batteries on the bus).
Might have gotten too far with the unintrusiveness for some - but it works for me. ;)
4xel wrote:I'd like to know the opinion about your model of people prefering the old battery.
Whoever loved the Duracel design will probably hate my version. The Duracel design features high contrast black with a bright copper top, wich is as much in your face as it gets without becoming eye cancer - leading to perfect brand recognizability, wich probably was a design goal.
My version is low-contrast with desaturated accent color and therefore barely noticable at first glance. There should not be much people who want the former and still like the latter.
I would expect players to either like the duracel design and its derivatives or my version but not both - especially when it comes to hundreds of tiny icons displayed on top of a belt.

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

Escadin wrote:Have nice day.
You have a nice day too! :)
They are sold in my country. I understand that there is not much of a reason arguing over which design is better. (The poll is the right place for opinions.) So I stop right now.
Escadin wrote:Wait what? This is discussion is a thing??? The previous battery looked absolutely awful and out of place. Like taken straight from a sales catalog.
I have to admit, this one really pissed me off. Sorry.

There were some... anomalies on the mod portal, but version 0.1.2 of my mod should be up now.

winkbrace
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by winkbrace »

How about a 9v battery?

SomeLazyBastard
Inserter
Inserter

Battery companies and trademarks

Post by SomeLazyBastard »

Escadin wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:58 pm
I hadn't seen Duracell packaging with a pink rabbit on it. I thought it must be a rip-off of the Energizer Bunny...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duracell_Bunny

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energizer_Bunny
The Duracell Bunny campaign was launched in 1973 and predates the Energizer Bunny, which was created in 1989.
When the Duracell Bunny debuted in North America, it was intended to be just a one-shot character, but when Energizer's parody became a great success, Duracell decided to revive the Duracell Bunny. The Duracell Bunny no longer appears in North America. This is due to Energizer filing a trademark claim for the marketing use of a "battery bunny" in the United States and Canada.

In February 2016, Energizer filed a trademark infringement lawsuit against Duracell. Energizer alleged that Duracell was using a pink bunny in its advertising in the United States, did not have any trademark rights in the United States in a pink bunny, and had violated an agreement between Energizer and Duracell governing the use of a pink bunny trademark in the U.S.

HurkWurk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by HurkWurk »

industrial battery:

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

HurkWurk wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:04 pm
industrial battery:
Whoa! That... could look nice...

AyleeJenn
Inserter
Inserter

Post by AyleeJenn »

My opinion on the new battery is that it should look like something that creates a feeling of harmony in the player. Be that with a design that resembles whatever or something completely unique. I think creating dissonance in the player emotionally is more dangerous in things that are seen all the time (like batteries) as compared to things that are only seen occasionally. Think screen-time and exposure. That being said ...

Factorio is apparently so good and successful that others tried to clone it before development is even finished. If Duracell thinks that they will increase the value of their company by denying factorio the use of the previous battery design, then ... :? I am sorry, but maybe they ought to consider revisiting business school and pay attention to how you effectively increase your company's value through advertizement.

If I was part of handling this in the Duracell company I would have proposed contacting the Factorio team and not only allow them to include the battery design into their game but also offer them money to go ahead and list Duracell as sponsor.

Koub wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:00 pm
[Koub] There is nothing to discuss about the old design. Forget it. As long as it's Duracell's trademark, they have the right to defend it. Remember the topic is about voting for a new new design or for keeping the current new design.

On a personal note, whoever wants to can sue Duracell for not wanting this design to represent a generic battery. If Duracell loses, I'm sure the devs will be OK to revert. But I'm also sure the devs don't want to invest money in a trial.
You know, someone is probably going to go ahead with this, just because they can. And everyone else will be happy. Except Duracell of course ;)

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

AyleeJenn wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:14 am
If I was part of handling this in the Duracell company I would have proposed contacting the Factorio team and not only allow them to include the battery design into their game but also offer them money to go ahead and list Duracell as sponsor.
Sigh...
eradicator wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:10 pm
If you're a multinational battery manufacurer you don't sponser a game about genocide and enviromental destruction.
Or to say it with movies: Only the good guys drink PepsiCola©®☮™.
I don't event know what's a "copyright" any more...

This just feels like a broken system.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Well I think this poll has outlived its usefulness. 4 monts is enough, and nothing new has been added for ages, so I'll lock it. If anyone has something really useful to add to the debate, just ask, I'd unlock it with pleasure.
[Koub] Topic locked.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “General discussion”