Friday Facts #253 - Fans & Fun

Regular reports on Factorio development.
OBXandos
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #253 - Fans & Fun

Post by OBXandos »

Therax wrote:
hitzu wrote:So with new walls, turrets are just begging to be put on top of the walls as a strong foundation for them.
Ohhh yeah, just like Warzone 2100!
One of the most amazing games I have ever played!

I could see each of the turret types taking some concrete and the base turret to build a turret wall entity. Although loading the corner turrets from a chest with inserter would be rather difficult.

vedrit
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vedrit »

OBXandos wrote:
Therax wrote:
hitzu wrote:So with new walls, turrets are just begging to be put on top of the walls as a strong foundation for them.
Ohhh yeah, just like Warzone 2100!
One of the most amazing games I have ever played!

I could see each of the turret types taking some concrete and the base turret to build a turret wall entity. Although loading the corner turrets from a chest with inserter would be rather difficult.
Unless it's a 3x3 entity, so you could load into the corner of it. But then you couldn't have it part of a double-layer wall...

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

OBXandos wrote:Although loading the corner turrets from a chest with inserter would be rather difficult.
There are mods that allow inserters to be rotated in more steps than the vanilla four or even let you freely choose pickup and drop locations.

Hagaret
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Hagaret »

Why walls so bright, white and clean, seriously, stone bricks are grey and walls are white? 100% non-falling into the game style.

Escadin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Escadin »

This update <--- When? :o
"--? How are commands compounded in a compounded compound command commanding compound composts." -defines.lua

Escadin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Escadin »

3trip wrote:
I came here to compliment the Devs on how awesome the walls are, and to ask this same question!

So can we please be able to stick turrets ontop of walls?
Does anybody remember Earth 2160?

Wall turrets ftw.
"--? How are commands compounded in a compounded compound command commanding compound composts." -defines.lua

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

Escadin wrote:This update <--- When? :o
When it's ready.

Tricorius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tricorius »

Gorgeous.

And while everyone is wishing on turrets, I want to add a reminder request for a turret style for all ammo types. I wants me a missile turret. Dare I wish for a nuke silo? :D

POPISowyNumer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by POPISowyNumer »

This game really needs it's military side upped tremendously
better gates, more varied defence options, ability to link the turrets to logics, fortifications
and BETTER ENEMIES

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by factoriouzr »

POPISowyNumer wrote:This game really needs it's military side upped tremendously
better gates, more varied defence options, ability to link the turrets to logics, fortifications
and BETTER ENEMIES

I completely agree with all of what you said!!!

Avezo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Avezo »

If you are too fast in multiplaer, weird things happen, like walking over walls, pipes etc.

Jürgen Erhard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Jürgen Erhard »

Those cliffs in the structures image: this is (one reason) why I always play without since they were introduced: they, here, totally look like rock walls, and not like cliffs.

Oh, but I love the other parts. Those walls looks *amazing*!

(Now if you could see fit to fix concrete to look like *CONCRETE* again…)

Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Amarula »

POPISowyNumer wrote:This game really needs it's military side upped tremendously
and BETTER ENEMIES
There are many games you can choose with better military; there are many mods that tweak the military here in Factorio. What other games can I play that have the richness of base building without requiring constant fighting?

One of the many things I love about Factorio is that I don't have to focus on fighting all the time, and I can focus on what I love which is the base building. I really appreciate that the devs are allowing that option, and not deciding that every gamer must love fighting and military. I vote to keep the focus on what makes Factorio unique, and stand out head and shoulders above every other base building game!
My own personal Factorio super-power - running out of power.

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by factoriouzr »

Amarula wrote:
and BETTER ENEMIES
There are many games you can choose with better military; there are many mods that tweak the military here in Factorio. What other games can I play that have the richness of base building without requiring constant fighting?

One of the many things I love about Factorio is that I don't have to focus on fighting all the time, and I can focus on what I love which is the base building. I really appreciate that the devs are allowing that option, and not deciding that every gamer must love fighting and military. I vote to keep the focus on what makes Factorio unique, and stand out head and shoulders above every other base building game!

But biters are part of the game. They have been for a very long time. Biters definitely need to be improved and made harder, though as I said earlier in another post, I realize some players might not want them harder, so add a slider for difficulty or some other ways to tweak what types of biters are enabled etc. Right now there is already options for that like peaceful mode, adjusting the frequency, strength etc of biter bases. I love the challenge and gameplay mechanics biters add, they just need more love and attention as they are sorely lagging behind other aspects of the game that have been improved over the years. It's biter's turn for improvement.

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

factoriouzr wrote:But biters are part of the game. They have been for a very long time. Biters definitely need to be improved and made harder, though as I said earlier in another post, I realize some players might not want them harder, so add a slider for difficulty or some other ways to tweak what types of biters are enabled etc. Right now there is already options for that like peaceful mode, adjusting the frequency, strength etc of biter bases. I love the challenge and gameplay mechanics biters add, they just need more love and attention as they are sorely lagging behind other aspects of the game that have been improved over the years. It's biter's turn for improvement.
Ever heard of "Advanced settings" or "Death world"? You can scale biters and their difficulty curve however you want all the way to downright no chance.
It's in the map Generator options somewhere...

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

Gergely wrote:Ever heard of "Advanced settings" or "Death world"? You can scale biters and their difficulty curve however you want all the way to downright no chance.
Meh, that is the worst difficulty slider ever. It basicly makes the sponges bigger and the minimap more red. Biter cleaning becomes even more a chore than it already is with default settings. There is a subtle difference between just adding more grind and upping difficulty by making biters more diverse and use tactics or letting the player solve more or harder puzzles to get to the stuff that defeats the biters.

Whoever wants harder and more interesting biters should use mods for that. I saw one, that makes biters use basic tactics like helping their brethren defend their base, retreat and regroup if losses get too high, going berserk on specific targets to break through defenses and avoiding chunks where a lot of biters died recently (not sure if last one was the same mod).
There are also some simple ones that add more resitances and damage types. Also every mod that makes base building more complex makes the race against biter evolution harder too.
Multiplying recipe costs by some arbitrary factor like in deathworld is a crappy way to achieve that. Try one of the big overhaul mods instead.

Vanilla is not about the biters. They added them because expansion was too cheap. So vanilla gameplay will probably keep beeing about "mining" biters (with the first pickaxe beeing a gun and last beeing a-bombs) to get free space for expansion or access to resources.
Wube is a small studio and they are better off concentrating on the core game and the modding API. Modders will add more combat options and other stuff that is "too much" for the average hardcore gamer.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

steinio wrote:Gates should merge too.
But they open one by one as you approach. Should merged gates open as one or split in two as you approach?

Love the walls, except for where they meet cliffs. Looks like the wall is on top of the cliff but also on the bottom. Would be really cool if the wall would fade into the cliff. Like the top of the wall is level with the top of the cliff.

doktorstick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by doktorstick »

eradicator wrote:
FFF253 wrote:Any chance we can get diagonal rail gates?
Pretty please!?

ownlyme
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ownlyme »

**** yes!
already started to believe it was clickbait when you announced the new laser towers.
now i have hope again.
hope the beams glow in the night.

btw: the beam gets rendered above the cannon
mods.factorio.com/user/ownlyme
My requests: uiAbove||Grenade arc||Blueprint allies||Creeps forget command/ don't get removed||Player Modifiers||textbox::selection||Better Heat IF||Singleplayer RCON||tank bug w/ min_range >= projectile_creation_distance

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

mrvn wrote:
steinio wrote:Gates should merge too.
But they open one by one as you approach. Should merged gates open as one or split in two as you approach?

Love the walls, except for where they meet cliffs. Looks like the wall is on top of the cliff but also on the bottom. Would be really cool if the wall would fade into the cliff. Like the top of the wall is level with the top of the cliff.
Interesting question.

If you look at the screenshot in the FFF - the gap should be filled and so it would only be one gate there.
Currently it looks like two gates to fill the wall gap.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Return to “News”