Angels refining ore sorting, bob ores idea

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
thelordodin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by thelordodin »

I've been playing for a while with Bob's+Angel mods and I really liked.
But I can't get rid of one thought about it.

Refining makes game harder in one part, but it makes it easier in another.

One part is that ore refining process is quite complex so you have to build much more buildings.
But other part is that if you have just Saphirite you can make quite a bunch staff from it.
You don't really need to get all other ores, you can make many (not all, but many) ores from it.

Also you have to choose which ore will you make.

At the start of game you can smelt (crushed) Saphirite into Iron plates.
One time you have Saphirite and you make 2 iron and 1 copper from it.
On the other hand you can mix Saphirite, Javolite and Stiratite and get ONLY iron from it, but you'll have much more of it.

And it's strange. It's kind of magic. Transmutation.

At this point I started to dream...

Here is what I think about:
At start of the game you can smelt crushed Saphirite into 1 Iron plate AND Saphirite Slug 1
On later point you can sort Saphirite => 2 Iron Ore, 1 Copper Ore and Saphirite Slug 2
AND you can also sort Saphirite Slug 1 => 1 Iron Ore, 1 Copper Ore and Saphirite Slug 2

On later tiers you can sort
Saphirite Slug 2 => 0.2 gold, 0.1 aluminium,+ etc and Saphirite Slug 3

And so on...

Basically this means that each ore type will have constant amount of components.
If you have sufficient technology you can extract all the things from it, or else you'll just have some specific stug type.

I really wish to play this kind of mod, since:
- It'll remove this magic transmutation
- It'll give a very nice idea that in the end you have refined ore TOTALLY - nothing really wasted.
- It'll give more reasons to expand the base to have all ore types, not just take one rich field of Saphirite and than go Slug processing to solve all problems.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Angels refining ore sorting, bob ores idea

Post by steinio »

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

thelordodin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by thelordodin »

steinio wrote:Sounds like Omnimatter https://mods.factorio.com/mod/omnimatter
What I want is exactly opposite: I want each ore type to be valueable. Not equally valueable.

Example gold: there should be "gold ore" and you can't extract gold from Saphirite. You'll have to explore and find gold ore.

But more than that. After you find it if you just smelt it, you'll get just 0.01 of it turned into gold, and the rest is just Gold Slug 1.
Later you can refine Gold Slug 1 into 0.02 of gold and Gold Slug 2.... and so on.
On the final stage you refine Gold Slug 4 into, say 0.5 gold + crushed stone.

You can also get some copper ore from gold ore/slugs, but this won't replace need of stiratite because you'll get just, say one third of ore as copper. So you can use gold ore as source of copper, but you won't get much from it.

Same for Saphirite.
If you refine it fully, you should get iron and very few copper, and even fewer lead.
But if Saphirite have 15% of copper you WILL get it anyway after full refining process.

Even if you mix 2 Saphirite + 2 Jivolite + 2 Stiratite and get 6 Iron on first refining step, you should get some Slug, which will eventually give you that 15% of copper from Saphirite. This 15% can't just disappear after sorting, nor you can have more iron than this mixed ores have.
What you can is only get that Iron on sorting 1 instead of sorting 2.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Saphirite, Jivolite and Stiratite are all angel ores, not bob's ores.

in bob's mods, every ore comes from it's own resource patch, and with a few exceptions (like cobalt from copper processing) the only way to get that ore is finding it's resource patch.

it sounds like you just want to play without angle's refining mod.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

thelordodin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by thelordodin »

bobingabout wrote:Saphirite, Jivolite and Stiratite are all angel ores, not bob's ores.

in bob's mods, every ore comes from it's own resource patch, and with a few exceptions (like cobalt from copper processing) the only way to get that ore is finding it's resource patch.

it sounds like you just want to play without angle's refining mod.
Yes, your concept is better, than Angels))) It forces player to explore for ores.
I installed Angels because I wanted more compexity. I got it, but the challage and exploration is gone.
Also Angels' graphics are great! This sorters, crushers, chemistry look really good!
But the concept - I don't like it.

So what I'm speaking/dreaming about is: Angels with good concept.
For now I'm playing bob only indeed.

Also for a newbie who wants to play a complex game the decision "Install Bob & Angels" looks like "I'll get more complexity in all meanings". But in fact game with only Bob's is harder in some meaning than Bob+Angels.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I might be biased, because I'm one of the authors of the set, but most people seem to recommend that once you're done with vanilla and want to make the game harder and more complex, install bob's mods. Just bob's mods. And not even all the bob's mods, some like Electronics are recommended to be left out for the first play through due to how much complexity they add. It depends on how big of a step up you want the first modded experience to be.

Anyway, to continue the recommendation, once you've had a game with all of bob's mods, THEN try adding angels to the mix. And then I've lost track of what the recommendation is after that, because there's so many mod packs flying around. Omni and 5Dim... Yuoki mods (I hope I spelled that right), Mad clowns makes a good nuclear power mod that goes well with bob's mods (or so I'm told). Also, one of the many loader based mods, there's 3 main ones I think. I've probably missed out a whole bunch, but... yeah.

if you like bob's mods on their own, well, I thank you, because I tried to make the game that I want to play, and if you prefer bob's only, that's just telling me you like what I like... and my hard work to make it happen.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

thelordodin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by thelordodin »

bobingabout wrote:if you like bob's mods on their own, well, I thank you, because I tried to make the game that I want to play, and if you prefer bob's only, that's just telling me you like what I like... and my hard work to make it happen.
I do. You are the best ^_^

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”